The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Which sports/tourer? Japanese/European motorcycles

Pete 75C

Looking for jeans?  Good luck with that then!  My wife tried on a few pair ranging in price from £80 to £175 none of which fitted very well at all.  They were either too baggy when stood up or too tight to get on and they were the same size.  Give the shop their due they were very helpful but even such help could not make my wife fit the jeans on offer.

Try the Motogirl Kevlar lined leggings

Katy

The next bike I'm thinking of getting is one of these LGBT's. Apparently LGBT rallies are held in most big cities now, though I've been warned off  going in full leathers for some reason.

Guy..

This stirs up an uncomfortable memory for me, of the time I tried to dispose of a nearly-new but disappointingly poorly-fitting set of leathers via whatever-it-was-that-we-used-before-the-internet-and-eBay-were-invented.  I received one phone call which started off sounding genuine enough, but when the caller asked: "Do you often like to wear leather, then?" I informed him that our conversation was over, and hung up.  Thinking of it again now makes me shudder...

I used to have an Arai RX7 lid years ago, but would need a mortgage to afford the latest version. Need to try some on to get the right size. I think my brain's got bigger, but kids reckon it's shrunk with age, so who knows?

My previous helmet was an RX7 - IIRC when bought it wasn't outrageously expensive (it was very red, though).  When it came time to replace it the cost of the latest RX7s had become highly off-putting.  What do they make them out of these days - unicorn horn or something?  I ended up with the one a couple of rungs lower in the Arai hierarchy - Chaser, I think?  It's mighty comfortable (I bought a set of the slightly thicker cheek pads to get a really snug fit) and as far as I can tell its bells and whistles are easily on a par with my old RX7.  OK, it hasn't got the RX7's funky visor system, but the one it does have works just fine.

Trouble is, my head doesn't seem to fit any other manufacturer's helmet shape.  I had a Shoei for some years but when that one got too old I found that none of the new Shoei helmets seemed to fit properly.  Then I tried on an Arai, and my wallet sighed quietly...

Trouble is, my head doesn't seem to fit any other manufacturer's helmet shape.  I had a Shoei for some years but when that one got too old I found that none of the new Shoei helmets seemed to fit properly.  Then I tried on an Arai, and my wallet sighed quietly...

I may have mentioned this before, but my two older brothers ride bikes too. They've always bought Shoei helmets and, years ago, suggested I do the same. Couldn't find one to fit properly and then, as you say, Arai was the "Eureka" moment. I've always said you either have an Arai-shaped head or a Shoei-shaped head.

I recently bought a new helmet.  Having been a Shoei customer for 15 years, I changed direction this time and went for an Xlite X-803 Ultra Carbon at £330.  As the name suggests, it is carbon fibre composite and is incredibly light - around 1100 grammes compared to the almost 1800 grammes of my old Shoei. Fits me nicely, feels much lighter when worn, and is slightly higher cut up the sides which allows easier 'over the shoulder' lifesaver checks. it also has a quick release visor mechanism with pinlocks for fitting an inner anti-fog visor (or tear-offs, if you are so inclined). Plenty of vents for those hot summer days (what are they then !?) and the new style removable cheek pads that can be removed by the emergency services before removing the helmet, which makes helmet removal in an emergency much easier - as an employee of an ambulance service, that was a big selling point for me, coupled with the fact that the carbon fibre weave looks so cool ! !

For those not aware, Xlite is the race division of Nolan Helmets, so plenty of experience in helmet construction, and they are a firm favourite with top class racers on the world circuit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having worn Shoei for donkeys years, I now use a BMW - Schuberth presumably - it is a great hat.  Comfortable, quiet, sun visor, flip up, good ventilation, pinlock, all boxes ticked. Worth a try, especially as you're there anyway!

If you haven't already, check out this site. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I haven't looked in detail recently but it used to hold some surprises. In particular it used to upset Arai enthusiasts :D.

For myself, I've favoured HJC for the last 15 years or so. I find them a good fit and their mid-range models generally feel better finished than other lids of equivalent price. Only issue is the visor mechanisms on the ones I've had have been a bit flimsy. I bought some cheapo visors and gear plates off Ebay for my current helmet and they were significantly better in all respects than the factory standard bits.

If you haven't already, check out this site. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I haven't looked in detail recently but it used to hold some surprises. In particular it used to upset Arai enthusiasts :D.

For myself, I've favoured HJC for the last 15 years or so. I find them a good fit and their mid-range models generally feel better finished than other lids of equivalent price. Only issue is the visor mechanisms on the ones I've had have been a bit flimsy. I bought some cheapo visors and gear plates off Ebay for my current helmet and they were significantly better in all respects than the factory standard bits.

I know HJC as suppliers of motocross lids... my racing helmet is an HJC. Doesn’t particularly ooze quality but it DOES have an ACU Gold Stamp.

Is Clinton still at Lind?

He certainly is. I didn't realise I'd met him before but he was the guy I dealt with on today's visit.

I went to Lind to finalise the deal on the G310R and also to size up some clothing at next door's Infinity Motorcycles.

I got a bit of a surprise when I got there though. Just in stock and attracting more attention than just about anything else in the showroom was this...

post-17811-0-06448000-1529784031_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-83450000-1529784039_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-00891700-1529784047_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-57676200-1529784055_thumb.jpg

...so I rather impulsively bought it and collect it on 4th July. It's a 2017 ex-demonstrator F800R. What sweetened the deal on top of an already fair price is the fact that aside from being the "Sport" model, it has the Touring and Dynamic packages on it. That means it has all the little extras that BMW usually charge an arm and half a leg for. The G310R is a great little bike, but tbh, it felt a little puny. The F800R has that big bike feel coupled with the upright riding position that I wanted. Very happy indeed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

.... and air cooled cylinder heads. Also, staggered footrests.

An cylinder head warmed feet..... :sungum:

You don't notice the pegs after ten seconds.  We have another bike that has offset pegs and no-one that has ridden it ever mentions it.  Of course everyone talks about the torque reaction on Beemers - until they ride it and don't notice it, it only shows if you sit at a standstill revving the nackers off it!  As an alternative to other older big twins, they're a good ride,  No vibes, no leaks, you can get the bits and later ones in particular handle reasonably.

• RMweb Premium

My previous helmet was an RX7 - IIRC when bought it wasn't outrageously expensive (it was very red, though).  When it came time to replace it the cost of the latest RX7s had become highly off-putting. 

I realise that's it's probably top of the range, but HOW MUCH?

https://www.whyarai.co.uk/rx-7-rc.html

- for 74 quid extra I got my my Honda CB750FD new......mind you it was 1985.....

I'm quite taken with these:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/yamaha/yamaha-niken-review

Looks fun.....

I realise that's it's probably top of the range, but HOW MUCH?

https://www.whyarai.co.uk/rx-7-rc.html

- for 74 quid extra I got my my Honda CB750FD new......mind you it was 1985.....

I'm quite taken with these:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/yamaha/yamaha-niken-review

Looks fun.....

I think I paid around £250-£300 for my first RX7 25odd years ago but the price of the one in your link is taking the pi$$. 2018 standard RX7s are around £700-£800. Having tried loads on yesterday, I'm going to remain brand-loyal to Arai, but I dunno if it will be an RX7.

That Yamaha Niken is a truly bizarre looking thing. I watched the launch video and it's kinda mesmerising but I'm still not sure I get the point...

• RMweb Gold

I hope this one is still a gassy baby Pete, and I can't see a gas bottle holder!

Can't help thinking you're wasting a lot of money on clothing, flip flops, shorts and a vest top shouldn't be more than a tenner, and then a 20 euro helmet from the Chino Supermercado and you're all set.

Mike.

I hope this one is still a gassy baby Pete, and I can't see a gas bottle holder!

Can't help thinking you're wasting a lot of money on clothing, flip flops, shorts and a vest top shouldn't be more than a tenner, and then a 20 euro helmet from the Chino Supermercado and you're all set.

Perhaps more "me after a curry" rather than a gassy baby with this one Mike. It would have been a bit quieter if Lind hadn't fitted an Akrapovič silencer to showcase all the aftermarket goodies they offer...

Not sure about doing the clothing shop at the Chinese market. Ketchup stains are a bugger to get off tarmac and I'd rather keep the lid on the bottle...

post-17811-0-95227800-1529829177.jpg

Gosh ... I'm sitting here being amazed at the price of those helmets, and wondering how many other folk on here have fond memories of trying to keep a ratting hat on (and a fag going) whilst riding a motorcycle on the Queen's highways in pre-compulsory-helmet days ...

(Disclaimer: yes, we knew at the time it was risky but we didn't care, and besides nearly every biker I knew did indeed usually wear a helmet.)

• Like 1

Another visit to Infinity in Norwich yesterday. This is rapidly becoming my one-stop shop. I won't order bike clothing online as it really needs to fit properly and therefore has to be tried on. The helmet dilemma has been addressed. Having convinced myself I had an Arai-shaped head, apparently not so. Having spent half an hour with a guy who knew more about helmets than I do about trivial nonsense, I settled on a gold-stamped HJC RPHA70. I also came home with an Alpinestars textile/leather mix jacket and leather gloves. Sidi boots complete the line-up. I'm picking the bike up next Wednesday, so that will herald the end of summer and the arrival of monsoons etc. Absolutely guaranteed...

post-17811-0-57070700-1530089131.jpg

post-17811-0-58824800-1530089137.jpg

• Like 1

An cylinder head warmed feet..... :sungum:

You don't notice the pegs after ten seconds.  We have another bike that has offset pegs and no-one that has ridden it ever mentions it.  Of course everyone talks about the torque reaction on Beemers - until they ride it and don't notice it, it only shows if you sit at a standstill revving the nackers off it!  As an alternative to other older big twins, they're a good ride,  No vibes, no leaks, you can get the bits and later ones in particular handle reasonably.

Having owned just about every British make from AJS to Vincent over a period of 27 years, I never tire of saying that the R80/7 I then bought was actually the finest motorcycle I ever owned ...

I may have mentioned this before, but my two older brothers ride bikes too. They've always bought Shoei helmets and, years ago, suggested I do the same. Couldn't find one to fit properly and then, as you say, Arai was the "Eureka" moment. I've always said you either have an Arai-shaped head or a Shoei-shaped head.

I used to use Shoei helmets. They fitted me nicely. But they seem to change the shell shape. Raid 1 fitted great, Raid 2 was too short for me, leaving my chin poking out of the bottom.

Got an HJC helmet now. Quality wise not as good as Shoei, but fits me ( other than the internal sun visor catching the end of my nose!). I did find I needed a smaller size than expected

Been cleaning these pair up for the bike show at Crich tramway museum this weekend

post-12044-0-48955100-1530104887_thumb.jpeg

All the best

Katy

• Like 3

Another visit to Infinity in Norwich yesterday. This is rapidly becoming my one-stop shop. I won't order bike clothing online as it really needs to fit properly and therefore has to be tried on. The helmet dilemma has been addressed. Having convinced myself I had an Arai-shaped head, apparently not so. Having spent half an hour with a guy who knew more about helmets than I do about trivial nonsense, I settled on a gold-stamped HJC RPHA70. I also came home with an Alpinestars textile/leather mix jacket and leather gloves. Sidi boots complete the line-up. I'm picking the bike up next Wednesday, so that will herald the end of summer and the arrival of monsoons etc. Absolutely guaranteed...

attachicon.gifRPHA_70_FORVIC.jpg

attachicon.gifsp-x.jpg

Lookin at the beeb weather page it is predicktind thunder storms for next Wednesday, now we know why :jester:

Edited by laurenceb

Having owned just about every British make from AJS to Vincent over a period of 27 years, I never tire of saying that the R80/7 I then bought was actually the finest motorcycle I ever owned ...

I owned a 1974 R60/6 BMW for a long time and it gave very good service, including commutes of up to 50 miles each way in all weathers. Handling was a bit sluggish but very steady, totally reliable and very smooth. Not fast, but capable of surprisingly good journey times and it would carry a lot of weight, too.

• Like 1