RMweb

Almost a year ago..............

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Or two Noel Coward classics

"Don't Let's Be Beastly To The Germans"

"Mad Dogs And Englishmen"

I thought it was: "Don't Let's Be Beastly To The Hun" ;)

Edit:  You're correct sir, the title uses "Germans" but the lyrics use "Hun".

Edited by Tim Dubya

I'm sensing doom and gloom over what I gather is peoples reaction to the brexit vote. Naturally the media are all doom and gloom as there's no new like bad news. Bad news sells and good news doesn't. Well on the other side of the world Australia to be precise not all is rosy here either. We have a housing market which spiraling out of control. Most young people haven't a hope in hell of ever affording their own home. In the 1980's one could by a four bedroom house on a quarter acre block of land for 50k easy. Today that same home goes for 1.5 million and yet wages haven't risen to keep pace. We're told that our employment sector has many more people working. Yes but they aren't full time they're casuals who can be put off work at a moments notice.

In London you have good public transport in the city and outer areas compared to Sydney where owning a car is not a luxury but a necessity. 

Travel outside Australia and you will need a passport where ever you want to go except Tasmania. Go to New Zealand and you need a passport. Our government doesn't pay millions to a political union but still manages to waste millions. People in the UK seem to be worried that they might not have freedom of travel to Europe. So what, you'll need a passport instead. What is wrong with that?. The EU isn't saying that every UK person will never ever again be allowed in the EU zone after 2019.

I've been to the UK twice and I'm about to go again in a few months and everyone I've spoken to in London has been very pro EU and nearly everyone outside the London area has been very anti EU. The anti lot weren't worried about immigration at all but were fed up with EU regulations being imposed on them with having no right to oppose any of the regulations.

I like to spend my vacation time in the English and Welsh countryside. I've seen London on my first visit and the nearest I got to London on my last visit was Heathrow and that was close enough. Big cities don't do anything for me where people don't say "hello" as they're too busy in the own little smart phone/ipod world. I love English villages where you can talk to REAL people not pretentious self indulgent people.

I get the feeling that some people think that Brexit will mean a "Nuclear Winter" for the UK and it will be uninhabitable for the next one thousand years. It maybe, just maybe a bit bumpy but it will sort itself out in the end. The politicians won't want the country to be in the doldrums for eternity as their political futures will be brief.     

• RMweb Premium

I'm sensing doom and gloom over what I gather is peoples reaction to the brexit vote. Naturally the media are all doom and gloom as there's no new like bad news. Bad news sells and good news doesn't. Well on the other side of the world Australia to be precise not all is rosy here either. We have a housing market which spiraling out of control. Most young people haven't a hope in hell of ever affording their own home. In the 1980's one could by a four bedroom house on a quarter acre block of land for 50k easy. Today that same home goes for 1.5 million and yet wages haven't risen to keep pace. We're told that our employment sector has many more people working. Yes but they aren't full time they're casuals who can be put off work at a moments notice.

In London you have good public transport in the city and outer areas compared to Sydney where owning a car is not a luxury but a necessity. 

Travel outside Australia and you will need a passport where ever you want to go except Tasmania. Go to New Zealand and you need a passport. Our government doesn't pay millions to a political union but still manages to waste millions. People in the UK seem to be worried that they might not have freedom of travel to Europe. So what, you'll need a passport instead. What is wrong with that?. The EU isn't saying that every UK person will never ever again be allowed in the EU zone after 2019.

I've been to the UK twice and I'm about to go again in a few months and everyone I've spoken to in London has been very pro EU and nearly everyone outside the London area has been very anti EU. The anti lot weren't worried about immigration at all but were fed up with EU regulations being imposed on them with having no right to oppose any of the regulations.

I like to spend my vacation time in the English and Welsh countryside. I've seen London on my first visit and the nearest I got to London on my last visit was Heathrow and that was close enough. Big cities don't do anything for me where people don't say "hello" as they're too busy in the own little smart phone/ipod world. I love English villages where you can talk to REAL people not pretentious self indulgent people.

I get the feeling that some people think that Brexit will mean a "Nuclear Winter" for the UK and it will be uninhabitable for the next one thousand years. It maybe, just maybe a bit bumpy but it will sort itself out in the end. The politicians won't want the country to be in the doldrums for eternity as their political futures will be brief.     

Thanks for that. However, this is a thread about music and any 'political based' posts might get it 'killed'.

Phil

And, just for the record, we've always had to use a passport to travel in Europe, because the UK did not sign up to the Schengen agreement.

Edited by Ashcombe