RMweb

Representing planks in brass

• RMweb Premium

Hello, 

I'm working on an ex-LNER Y9, scratchbuilt, and I've come to the tender: 

post-708-0-14704600-1498373120.png

I don't want to do this is plastic planking as it will make joining to the metal parts of the tender difficult - but I could be persuaded. My preference would be to do it in brass, so the question then is: does anyone know a source of etched planking in 4mm scale? The planks will be 6 inches, so I'm looking for 2mm planks. 

Failing that, what would you do? I'm not convinced by scribing, but would be open to suggestions. What tool would you use? Scrawker? Drill bit? 

I'm also considering making each plank individually from 2mm brass strip, but strength then might be the problem, and I'd probably need to chamfer the edges or the planks would simply merge together. 

Or maybe someone knows of a wagon kit with etched planking on which the modeller fits all the strapping, but which I could leave off, or position differently? 

Thanks in advance. 

• RMweb Premium

Skrawker first, very carefully, then an ordinary scriber to round the grooves a bit, lastly sand it all over. That's if I have to, mostly I etch this sort of thing now.

Thanks, Mike - much appreciated. 

On a related subject, any ideas how a dummy would learn to etch? 

Edited by Daddyman

I think I might lean towards plastic strip for the planks and rivet strips.  Use sandpaper to simulate graining, I've done that a few times and I like the effect.  Archer do transfers for rivets which are tiny blobs of resin on transfer film - works great too.

I guess it comes down to comfort zone.

Just my 2 cents.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

Most of it is in an article based on my talk in Scalefour News, this was reprinted in BRM last year, can't remember which month.

Thanks, Mike. I have the article, and it's really helpful - assuming that one knows how to actually draw in a CAD programme. I don't even know how to make a line! We're talking that level of dummy! 

• RMweb Premium

Turbocad is very easy to use but I still use version 4 for most of my work. Nobody taught me to use it, it came as freeby with a magazine (it was on one floppy disc then) more than 20 years ago. I just looked at it as an accurate drawing board, most CAD drawing is straight lines, parallel lines and arcs of one sort or another. The biggest difference from hand drawing is "snapping" entities (lines, arcs etc.) to one another rather than lining things up by eye.

• RMweb Premium

Turbocad is very easy to use but I still use version 4 for most of my work. Nobody taught me to use it, it came as freeby with a magazine (it was on one floppy disc then) more than 20 years ago. I just looked at it as an accurate drawing board, most CAD drawing is straight lines, parallel lines and arcs of one sort or another. The biggest difference from hand drawing is "snapping" entities (lines, arcs etc.) to one another rather than lining things up by eye.

Thanks, that's encouraging. Imagine a person who wants to type a letter on a computer, but can't see how the keyboard relates to anything he wants to do on the screen: that's where I'm at with CAD. I don't even know what key to press to make a straight line! But you reckon I should just start playing? 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, that's encouraging. Imagine a person who wants to type a letter on a computer, but can't see how the keyboard relates to anything he wants to do on the screen: that's where I'm at with CAD. I don't even know what key to press to make a straight line! But you reckon I should just start playing? 

Yes, just play with it, start with a line and build up from there.