When TT3 was the next Big Thing

• RMweb Premium

There's a current (i.e., last few years) fashion for minimalistic sites. Sites which had a fairly distinctive style are now termed old-fashioned. There's a practical reason driving it; less cluttered pages are easier to view on mobiles and the like. But by and large it's mainly fashion.

Me, I only ever use the internet on a decent desktop fitted with a useful 24" screen. Can't stand staring at small screens and navigating by poking them with your finger :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, NCB said:

There's a current (i.e., last few years) fashion for minimalistic sites. Sites which had a fairly distinctive style are now termed old-fashioned. There's a practical reason driving it; less cluttered pages are easier to view on mobiles and the like. But by and large it's mainly fashion.

Me, I only ever use the internet on a decent desktop fitted with a useful 24" screen. Can't stand staring at small screens and navigating by poking them with your finger :)

Nicely put  - the changes being partly driven by increasing use of mobile devices; partly by fashion.  I understand and accept the former though, like you, I prefer a decent screen and a keyboard.  (And users like KevinLMS are now finding use of the forum on their mobile phone easier).  But change driven by fashion seems to me pretty much like change for change sake, and if it results in hassles and problems, then I personally find it hard to summon up the energy, and expend the time, to address them.

Edited by MikeCW
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeCW said:

Nicely put  - the changes being partly driven by increasing use of mobile devices; partly by fashion.  I understand and accept the former though, like you, I prefer a decent screen and a keyboard.  (And users like KevinLMS are now finding use of the forum on their mobile phone easier).  But change driven by fashion seems to me pretty much like change for change sake, and if it results in hassles and problems, then I personally find it hard to summon up the energy, and expend the time, to address them.

Perhaps you misunderstand me. Yes the PC at home is my preferred choice, but if I'm out I use the mobile. That is much better than the previous version.

I particularly like the way new contents, is highlighted in bold. 

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Perhaps you misunderstand me. Yes the PC at home is my preferred choice, but if I'm out I use the mobile. That is much better than the previous version.

I particularly like the way new contents, is highlighted in bold. 

Apologies if I appeared to  misinterpret your post Kevin. I was simply acknowledging the point made by Nigel that the changes and upgrades to the Forum were in part likely driven by a desire to make the Forum more easily accessible for the users of mobile devices - and that based on your comment, this result was being achieved  (irrespective of whether this was your preferred choice).

I think I'm now getting it sorted for myself.  One regret I still have is that the numbering of posts within topics seems to have disappeared.  I like to be able to refer back in ways such as "This was covered by Dangerman in Post #76"' or "I explained how I did this in Post #88 so won't repeat myself here".  However, in the great scheme of life, there are no doubt better things to get exercised about.

(I'm an LMS man myself, when I'm not refurbishing old Hornby Dublo items.  Western Division (ex-LNWR lines) in the late 1930s.)

Mike

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MikeCW said:

Apologies if I appeared to  misinterpret your post Kevin. I was simply acknowledging the point made by Nigel that the changes and upgrades to the Forum were in part likely driven by a desire to make the Forum more easily accessible for the users of mobile devices - and that based on your comment, this result was being achieved  (irrespective of whether this was your preferred choice).

I think I'm now getting it sorted for myself.  One regret I still have is that the numbering of posts within topics seems to have disappeared.  I like to be able to refer back in ways such as "This was covered by Dangerman in Post #76"' or "I explained how I did this in Post #88 so won't repeat myself here".  However, in the great scheme of life, there are no doubt better things to get exercised about.

(I'm an LMS man myself, when I'm not refurbishing old Hornby Dublo items.  Western Division (ex-LNWR lines) in the late 1930s.)

Mike

It needs to be remembered that ALL software needs to be updated, almost always because security issues are discovered.

These MUST be fixed and there becomes a point of vanishing returns, to justify updating old equipment.

So while say windows XP or old RMweb software, might still function. The reality is that it is unsecure in the computer world and needs addressing. Most days you read of some giant corporate hacking, I'm glad Andy doesn't want his name/business, added to the list!

It is nothing like old Hornby Dublo, where it can be like it was or works, just like it left the factory, or restored to such condition, this simply doesn't work with computers, PC or mobile.

At 62, I haven't owed any HD except for a few wagons, basically they went broke while I was too young! Sad it isn't it, how old you have to be to remember when HD was king!

• Agree 2

On 05/02/2019 at 10:45, kevinlms said:

It needs to be remembered that ALL software needs to be updated, almost always because security issues are discovered.

These MUST be fixed and there becomes a point of vanishing returns, to justify updating old equipment.

So while say windows XP or old RMweb software, might still function. The reality is that it is unsecure in the computer world and needs addressing. Most days you read of some giant corporate hacking, I'm glad Andy doesn't want his name/business, added to the list!

It is nothing like old Hornby Dublo, where it can be like it was or works, just like it left the factory, or restored to such condition, this simply doesn't work with computers, PC or mobile.

At 62, I haven't owed any HD except for a few wagons, basically they went broke while I was too young! Sad it isn't it, how old you have to be to remember when HD was king!

Updating for security is fine, but not just changing everything just for the sake of it.

I preferred XP where you move a file and it stays where you put it, whereas Vista onwards insists of putting them in order. A right pain when you want to sort pictures etc. into folders. The 'open book' system of illustrating folders is also a pain. What was wrong with a rectangle with an image on it?

Old fogey syndrome?  I remember HD being king, but I've just had my 72nd birthday in January....

HD really needs an upgrade these days - finer wheels (with the right number of spokes!) and conversion to 2 rail  (sorry heresy!)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, NCB said:

If I remember right, the change was mainly driven by Google updating its search algorithms to give priority to simple sites as these were easier to read on mobiles.  So simple sites came out higher up the Google results list.  Any site that wanted to be popular had to follow this, so the underlying forum software was updated to produce it, so they are all like it now.

Frank

3 hours ago, fallen said:

If I remember right, the change was mainly driven by Google updating its search algorithms to give priority to simple sites as these were easier to read on mobiles.  So simple sites came out higher up the Google results list.  Any site that wanted to be popular had to follow this, so the underlying forum software was updated to produce it, so they are all like it now.

Frank

Sounds like the way to find good sites then is to go to the far end of the list. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

HD really needs an upgrade these days - finer wheels (with the right number of spokes!) and conversion to 2 rail  (sorry heresy!)

Like this? :)

p199.jpg.2b9f357b8657a8bb7fd6d81af25110b0.jpg

Edited by NCB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rodshaw said:

Well, this thread has well and truly gone off topic now, and since from what Golden Fleece was saying we are unlikely to get any more updates about current TT3 projects, it's time for me to stop following it.

Well said Rod.  Though I suppose we were initially reacting to the reasons Garry/Golden Fleece gave for packing in his participation in RMWeb, we've certainly headed to the far horizon. For that reason I'd already resolved to cease posting here on site upgrade matters.

However, I'll keep an eye on this thread in the hope that Garry decides to return. Though not a TT3 modeller myself, I've found his contributions interesting, constructive and an encouragement to me to get on with some of my own projects.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, MikeCW said:

Well said Rod.  Though I suppose we were initially reacting to the reasons Garry/Golden Fleece gave for packing in his participation in RMWeb, we've certainly headed to the far horizon. For that reason I'd already resolved to cease posting here on site upgrade matters.

However, I'll keep an eye on this thread in the hope that Garry decides to return. Though not a TT3 modeller myself, I've found his contributions interesting, constructive and an encouragement to me to get on with some of my own projects.

Mike

Hi Mike,If you are a member of Facebook,there are a few groups that you may not be aware of.One is Hornby Dublo enthusiasts which is full of people including me who post regularly on that page & also you get access to all my overlays in the files section for members to download & print,Hornby Dublo Trains which is the page for the HRCA but anyone can join,you don`t have to be a member,buy & sell Hornby Dublo,an enthusiasts spin off & Hornby Dublo & Wrenn questions.I know a lot of folk don`t like face book but i have to say i`ve been a member for some years now & have had no problems.I post my conversions & projects on there so it`s worth giving it a go.If you like Trix Trains,there`s also a page for them of which i am also a member.

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, sagaguy said:

Hi Mike,If you are a member of Facebook,there are a few groups that you may not be aware of.One is Hornby Dublo enthusiasts which is full of people including me who post regularly on that page & also you get access to all my overlays in the files section for members to download & print,Hornby Dublo Trains which is the page for the HRCA but anyone can join,you don`t have to be a member,buy & sell Hornby Dublo,an enthusiasts spin off & Hornby Dublo & Wrenn questions.I know a lot of folk don`t like face book but i have to say i`ve been a member for some years now & have had no problems.I post my conversions & projects on there so it`s worth giving it a go.If you like Trix Trains,there`s also a page for them of which i am also a member.

Ray.

Well, you will have got rid of me, because I won't be joining Facebook!

I can live with the occasional change to RMweb, but not to FB I'm afraid! It's sad to see fragmentation, when this is a site just about railways (almost) and not what I had for dinner!

Each to their own, I suppose.

• 1 year later...

A lot has happened with the layout I had bought.  First all the fiddle yard had to be ripped up, that I knew when I got the layout home, but, I also had to put 3 new baseboard tops on as well.  The next big issue were the Gem and Wrenn points playing up, in the station are about 5 needed replacing and also a few point motors were non working.  I will say if I had known a lot of this before buying I doubt I would have bought it in the first place. So, due to all the issues last June/July time I made the decision to take up ALL the track and replace everything with Peco.  Here it is about 5 months later and since then not a lot has been done layout wise.

Garry

• Like 7

Hycote car grey primer on all of them then some of them have Hycote Brooklands Green, the others Presicion BR loco green which is slightly darker. None of them are varnished.  The roofs are masked and painted with Railmatch diesel roof grey. 

The GC tank was brush painted with Presicion paints then glass varnished with Railmatch. Number plates were from 247 Developments. 

Garry 

Edited by Silverfox17
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is a Tri-ang TT style WR 2-8-0 large tank.  The body is another 3D printed one and I drew up and had etched a nickel silver chassis to take the Tri-ang Jinty wheels and XT60 motor.  The crosshead was made up from 5 pieces and works well with the connecting rod set inside it as it should be.  The type 1 is a 3D body on a Piko TT1206 chassis.

Garry

WR 2-8-0 nearly comp.JPG

2-8-0_slidebars.JPG

WR_2-8-0_running_chassis.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Tri-ang only made one Pullman car which was the same model with 3 different names. Met Cam themselves only made 4 versions, Kitchen 1st and and parlour 1st then Kitchen 2nd and parlour 2nd. Here we have two Pullmans, the top one is the standard Tri-ang issued one, the bottom one is with the 2 kitchen windows filed down, new seats and a complete new transfer on the bottom. There is a faint white edge which shows on the photo but hardly seen when holding the coach. In your hand you can just make out the white ends and that is all.  I know my conversion is not strictly correct for either parlour car but does make something different up.  My Tees-Tyne Pullman should look a lot better with the different names.

Garry

Old and new Pullmans.JPG

TT Pullman transfer names.jpg

• Like 10

An interesting loco I bought last September is this scratchbuilt Thompson A2/2. It was built in 1987 by Mike Edge and designed to go around Tri-ang curves.  It is in the same condition now as when he made it. The coaches are my own Thompson creations but drawn on the PC and printed onto card then stuck on an old Tri-ang coach. There are 6 or 7 different versions printed which gives quite a variation. 

Garry 

72884146_2378055012292487_525729504841170944_o.jpg

72915910_2378055165625805_7080882568236630016_o (1).jpg

• Like 11