Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Visit to Dean Forest Railway 28/3/2010 (was Where is it?)

This is the original Where is It photo. Taken just north/west of Middle Forge Crossing between Norchard and Whitecroft.

post-7168-126979927813_thumb.jpg

The Class 108 prepares to leave Parkend for Norchard and Lydney while 0-6-0PT 9681 waits to run around its train. Need to get that top coat and lining finished on the nearest DMU car!

post-7168-126985836333_thumb.jpg

The Class 108 pulls away from Parkend.

post-7168-126985836487_thumb.jpg

And clags!

post-7168-12698583662_thumb.jpg

9681 draws to a halt at the end of the platform to take on water.

post-7168-126985836741_thumb.jpg

The crew of 9681 have a Titfield Thunderbolt moment - can't get the water to flow out of the tank. In the end they decided that they had enough to coax the loco gently back to Norchard. That signal in the distance never reset to danger after the departure of the DMU, only when the point was set to the other platform road.

post-7168-126985836871_thumb.jpg

9681 heads north/west out of Norchard towards Whitecroft and Parkend.

post-7168-126985836997_thumb.jpg

The Class 108 heads south/east past Middle Forge Crossing.

post-7168-126985837121_thumb.jpg

9681 heads south/east past Middle Forge Crossing with the autocoach and a single Mk1. It was sunny when I took my test shots but by the time the trains came past the clouds had come over.

post-7168-126985837256_thumb.jpg

The fully painted end of the Class 108 draws into Norchard Low Level as the driver hands the token over.

post-7168-126985837384_thumb.jpg

Taken from the front seat of the Class 108 as it waits at Norchad Low Level to depart for the sidings.

post-7168-126985836172_thumb.jpg

Not the longest of lines but a fun day out :)

Hi Phil,

Ok let's go with you then.biggrin.gif

Is it the Forest of Dean Tim?

Correct. It's taken from here, just west/north of Middle Forge Crossing, looking west.

I walked along the footpath from Norchard to Middle Forge and then crossed at the crossing and scrambled up the hill looking for a good place for photos (it's council owned parkland so you're not trespassing by going off the footpaths). A few too many branches and sapplings unfortunately but you can never quite tell until you've taken the photos and looked at them on a big screen. It'll be completely obscured in the summer.

The railway is completely unfenced on the west/north side of the crossing - something that I thought was a legal requirement even for preserved railways? Then again, I thought it was a legal requirement to set the signals to danger after a train had passed them and they didn't do that either (the signal was only at danger when the points ahead of it were set for the other road) so what do I know wink.gif

I'll update the first post with a few more photos from the day.

• RMweb Gold

tongue.gif

Correct. It's taken from here, just west/north of Middle Forge Crossing, looking west.

I walked along the footpath from Norchard to Middle Forge and then crossed at the crossing and scrambled up the hill looking for a good place for photos (it's council owned parkland so you're not trespassing by going off the footpaths). A few too many branches and sapplings unfortunately but you can never quite tell until you've taken the photos and looked at them on a big screen. It'll be completely obscured in the summer.

The railway is completely unfenced on the west/north side of the crossing - something that I thought was a legal requirement even for preserved railways? Then again, I thought it was a legal requirement to set the signals to danger after a train had passed them and they didn't do that either (the signal was only at danger when the points ahead of it were set for the other road) so what do I know wink.gif

I'll update the first post with a few more photos from the day.

Hi Tim,

So Phil's the winner then!wink.gif

Thought I was on the right tracks forgiving the pun-but then noticed the brook next to line which I can't remember ever seeing around Teigngrace.

Good fun all round and does Phil get a prize? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Cheers.

Mark

tongue.gif

Hi Tim,

So Phil's the winner then!wink.gif

Thought I was on the right tracks forgiving the pun-but then noticed the brook next to line which I can't remember ever seeing around Teigngrace.

Good fun all round and does Phil get a prize? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Cheers.

Mark

Phil gets to be smuggly satisfied for a few hours :)

Not even sure where Teigngrace is except that I assume it's in the vicinity of Teignmouth.

• RMweb Gold

Phil gets to be smuggly satisfied for a few hours :)Not even sure where Teigngrace is except that I assume it's in the vicinity of Teignmouth.

Yup, definitely in smug mode.

• RMweb Gold

How smug!wink.gif

Well done Phil-you smug so and so!biggrin.gif

For your information Tim Teigngrace is north of Newton Abbot on the old Mortenhampstead branch. The line is open to Heathfield but I believe their is no current traffic.

Previously BCT at Heathfield and I think WBB Clays used the line as well as Heltor for fuel supplies to it's depot at Heathfield. This has all sadly ended.

Very picturesque line especially around Teigngrace.

Cheers.

Mark

Archived