Cobalt Omegas and iPs! Switches.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Can I please confirm what people think are the best switches for DC operation of these motors. Yes I can read that the manufacturers suggest Push Button, however I would prefer toggles. These would presumably be DPDT toggle (sprung) Centre Off, is that correct or are they SPDT?

Many thanks

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Can I please confirm what people think are the best switches for DC operation of these motors. Yes I can read that the manufacturers suggest Push Button, however I would prefer toggles. These would presumably be DPDT toggle (sprung) Centre Off, is that correct or are they SPDT?

Many thanks

Phil

Not exactly. If you are using regulated DC to operate them, then it is standard DPDT (not push button). The pushbuttons are only for use with their fancy PSU-2. Be careful, regulated DC isn't what normally comes out of a Model Railway Controller. RS etc will sell you a plug in one that is.

• RMweb Premium

Not exactly. If you are using regulated DC to operate them, then it is standard DPDT (not push button). The pushbuttons are only for use with their fancy PSU-2. Be careful, regulated DC isn't what normally comes out of a Model Railway Controller. RS etc will sell you a plug in one that is. Had a look on here. Thanks.

OK so we continue. Looks like a laptop 12V supply for regulated power could be and option?

If that is the case, as discussed elsewhere, how would I adapt the Laptop end plug? Cut the wire and then use whatever is inside it as the two wires to the Point motor terminals?

Phil 

OK so we continue. Looks like a laptop 12V supply for regulated power could be and option?

If that is the case, as discussed elsewhere, how would I adapt the Laptop end plug? Cut the wire and then use whatever is inside it as the two wires to the Point motor terminals?

Phil 

I'd test it with a multimeter first to make sure of the voltage.

Well maybe, it just depends on the voltage this is more what I had in mind RS 148-963

I have and use one of these myself for setting up MERG Servo4s and smd leds. I have even used it for setting up a Megapoints servo control board despite not officially having enough amps (as long as you don't try to use it to the max).

No need to cut the wire, just fabricate some suitable connectors from the right size of brass rod/tube and push in. I measured it on my meter and it registered approx 12.08 volts constant, which allowing for the fact that my meter is probably not that accurate, seems pretty good to me.

Don't forget to test and mark polarity!

If you opt for a 12 volt Regulated DC power source then all so called 'CCTV power supplies' should fit this bill. ebay has hundreds available... Examples...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=CCTV+power+supplies&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1  Just obtain one that outputs around 1.0Amp (1000ma) which will do more than you'll need for analogue Cobalt operation. In fact a 1/2 Amp (500ma) output one would do too.

Great advantage of CCTV power supplies is they are usually sold with a moulded 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC plug fitted onto the end of the lead, so then either obtain one of these Female converters Example... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-Female-Male-Power-Balun-Connector-Adapter-Plug-Jack-Socket-For-CCTV-Cable-/351536734716?var=&epid=1256570009&hash=item51d938e1fc:m:mEoRAAESXOTYdRMb6N3Sd4w

Or use an in-line 2.1mm socket or a panel mounting 2.1m DC socket. Examples here..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-In-Line-Plug-Socket-Jack-Connector-Male-Female-1-3-1-7-2-1-2-5mm-/251223174617?var=&hash=item3a7e116dd9:m:m6UVVk-aDKXi0xEVzW-ReoQ

Then no lead/moulded plug cutting is needed at all

As for switches used with the analogue Cobalt and perhaps the above power supply, you will need a DPDT toggle switch.  Wire from the switches middle pair of tabs to Cobalt operation terminals and then input the DC supplies positive and negative to the top pair of switch terminals. Then finally link top left terminal to bottom right terminal and top right terminal to bottom left terminal on each switch.  This provides the reversing of polarity needed to drive the Cobalt each way as required.

Edit to correct URL 

Edited by Brian

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Brian I have prepared a DPDT switch as you describe, but it wasn't a Toggle. I recognise your website that has inspired me in the past, before I wasn't very well and forgot most of the stuff I'd learned. I shall try the items you suggest. it will be good fun practising with these.

Phil

If you opt for a 12 volt Regulated DC power source then all so called 'CCTV power supplies' should fit this bill. ebay has hundreds available... Examples...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=CCTV+power+supplies&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1  Just obtain one that outputs around 1.0Amp (1000ma) which will do more than you'll need for analogue Cobalt operation. In fact a 1/2 Amp (500ma) output one would do too.

Great advantage of CCTV power supplies is they are usually sold with a moulded 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC plug fitted onto the end of the lead, so then either obtain one of these Female converters Example... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-Female-Male-Power-Balun-Connector-Adapter-Plug-Jack-Socket-For-CCTV-Cable-/351536734716?var=&epid=1256570009&hash=item51d938e1fc:m:mEoRAAESXOTYdRMb6N3Sd4w

Or use an in-line 2.1mm socket or a panel mounting 2.1m DC socket. Examples here..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-In-Line-Plug-Socket-Jack-Connector-Male-Female-1-3-1-7-2-1-2-5mm-/251223174617?var=&hash=item3a7e116dd9:m:m6UVVk-aDKXi0xEVzW-ReoQ

As for switches used with the analogue Cobalt and perhaps the above power supply, you will need a DPDT toggle switch.  Wire from the switches middle pair of tabs to Cobalt operation terminals and then input the DC supplies positive and negative to the top pair of switch terminals. Then finally link top left terminal to bottom right terminal and top right terminal to bottom left terminal on each switch.  This provides the reversing of polarity needed to drive the Cobalt each way as required.

Edit to correct URL 

I particually like the look of the converter socket to screw terminal, it's a pity that the technical details of the psu's themselves tends to be a bit limited.

• RMweb Premium

Edit to correct URL 

Brian, presumably I solder wires from the Cobalts or Cobalt operating item (DFX 8) onto the female socket?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

First it says that it's for Tortoise and stall motors, but later it refers to cdu's. Perhaps some confusion, unless there are two versions?

Nope, just straight power or pulse from the CDU to the switch shown is how I read that. However I have always associated CDUs with Peco/Seep Solenoid type motors and not  Stallers.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Switches for cdu's have to have momentary contacts, switches for stall type need to be the permanent type, this is a fundamental difference unless there is some clever circuitry which detects the type of motor it's connected to.

• RMweb Premium

To clarify the types and operation of the current range Cobalt motors.

The Omega and Analog IP are analog motors that require a reversing DC power to operate. They are designed to be used with switches maintained in the on position.

The Digital IP is a bit more flexible.

When powered by DCC, it can operate as a "normal" DCC accessory, or with manual override on the PBS terminals. You can use either pushbuttons or spring to centre SPDT switch.

It also has the ability to "toggle" with one pushbutton (or similar spring contact) between the PBS-L and PBS-R terminals.

You can power the Digital IP with normal DC and use the PBS terminals to manually operate it. A useful feature if you are planning to go DCC later.

Cheers,

Mick