Hornby TTS Sound Decoder A4 - grrrrr

ianjeffery

Need to vent...

I bought two Hornby tts sound decoders for A4's and both - BOTH have failed in under 10 mins.

Both of them still drive the loco, 

the first, a crackle was heard and from that point on the amp section of the pcb gets scalding hot

the second - the sound just stopped. 

i know they are not alot of money, but the boy and i were looking forward to having Mallards with sound....

anyone else had poor experience with the TTS sound decoders?

Only ever had a problem when I overloaded the directional lights function which is not self protecting, whereas the motor circuit is.

Fortunately by way of an inline resistor to further limit the current in addition to the Express Models built in ones the decoder recovered.

the speakers were the original - i literally cut them and extended them - resoldering the wires - not touching the speaker or the decoder.....

the only thing i can think is that i tested them initially with a SPROG, before moving them to the layout, which runs 15v from a NCE PowerCAB  ( SPROG runs 12v ).

could this be the reason the amps both blew ?

Edited by ianjeffery

I would say that what ever you did possibly has caused the problem especially that you did it to both and now both are not working.

When you say you tested them with a SPROG what were you test them for?

What ever the reason both are not working so return them to where you got them from and see what happens, you can't do anything else as you can't repair them.

Wiggy.

My Elite puts out 15v to the track and no problems with TTS burnout.

For two to go sounds like that says to me user induced failure but I could be wrong.

You said you didn't but by any chance could you have used 100 ohm speakers.

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Premium

the speakers were the original - i literally cut them and extended them - resoldering the wires - not touching the speaker or the decoder.....

the only thing i can think is that i tested them initially with a SPROG, before moving them to the layout, which runs 15v from a NCE PowerCAB  ( SPROG runs 12v ).

could this be the reason the amps both blew ?

I have been fiddling around with the TTS decoder settings in my new railroad 31 for the last few days. I can change cv's etc using POM with my Gaugemaster Prodigy no problem. But while I can initially read/write to it using my Sprog 2v3 and DP, it won't run using a JMRI throttle, and then returns wierd readings if I try to carry out further reading/writing. DP just can't see/identify it any more. Says the manufacturer dosen't exist - returns a code of 1.

But put it on the layout and it runs just fine............except the sound quality and volume has decreased to a marked degree, and full resets - cv 08 to 08, don't make any difference. Hooked up different speakers - all 8ohm - and it's the same. Much poorer quality output compared to before using JMRI the first time.

Leave it a while.close down JMRI etc, then restart it all, and blow me, it reads it again.. until you try running it using the JMRI throttle, where the same sequence starts again, although thankfully the sound degredation hasn't got any worse.

I keep reading that a lot of Hornby stuff doesn't always truly conform with NMRA standards in all respects, and somehow I wonder if this is another case.  Basic compatibility issues. But why it would degraded the sound output I can't say, just that it seems to have, which is very worrying and extremely annoying.

Izzy

I have been fiddling around with the TTS decoder settings in my new railroad 31 for the last few days. I can change cv's etc using POM with my Gaugemaster Prodigy no problem. But while I can initially read/write to it using my Sprog 2v3 and DP, it won't run using a JMRI throttle, and then returns wierd readings if I try to carry out further reading/writing. DP just can't see/identify it any more. Says the manufacturer dosen't exist - returns a code of 1.

But put it on the layout and it runs just fine............except the sound quality and volume has decreased to a marked degree, and full resets - cv 08 to 08, don't make any difference. Hooked up different speakers - all 8ohm - and it's the same. Much poorer quality output compared to before using JMRI the first time.

Leave it a while.close down JMRI etc, then restart it all, and blow me, it reads it again.. until you try running it using the JMRI throttle, where the same sequence starts again, although thankfully the sound degredation hasn't got any worse.

I keep reading that a lot of Hornby stuff doesn't always truly conform with NMRA standards in all respects, and somehow I wonder if this is another case.  Basic compatibility issues. But why it would degraded the sound output I can't say, just that it seems to have, which is very worrying and extremely annoying.

Izzy

I think you will find all Hornby DCC stuff is designed to comply with NMRA regs and indeed some of it has NMRA warranty certification. Does your GM Prodigy have an NMRA warrant.

It also seems strange that you can do some stuff but not other stuff and it's the decoders fault not the controller or software you are using to change things. To reset the sound on TTS without affecting the loco side you can write value 5 to CV8. Have you tried reading the sound volume CV value to see if your software is changing the volume as a feature of the TTS decoder is being able to change volume on the main.

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find all Hornby DCC stuff is designed to comply with NMRA regs and indeed some of it has NMRA warranty certification. Does your GM Prodigy have an NMRA warrant.

It also seems strange that you can do some stuff but not other stuff and it's the decoders fault not the controller or software you are using to change things. To reset the sound on TTS without affecting the loco side you can write value 5 to CV8. Have you tried reading the sound volume CV value to see if your software is changing the volume as a feature of the TTS decoder is being able to change volume on the main.

I have no idea whether the Prodigy is NMRA compliant, but that's not the issue or the problem, but whether using the sprog/jmri equipment somehow causes damage to the TTS decoder sound output. I can't see why it should, but this is what appears to have happened.

The TTS has 8 levels of sound. At the maximum level 8 the decoders output is now no louder than it was at level 1 or 2 previously, as well as being much poorer in quality, hissing and muffled, as if the amp has been damaged, which I think it has.

Izzy

I have no idea whether the Prodigy is NMRA compliant, but that's not the issue or the problem, but whether using the sprog/jmri equipment somehow causes damage to the TTS decoder sound output. I can't see why it should, but this is what appears to have happened.

The TTS has 8 levels of sound. At the maximum level 8 the decoders output is now no louder than it was at level 1 or 2 previously, as well as being much poorer in quality, hissing and muffled, as if the amp has been damaged, which I think it has.

Izzy

I think it is just the TTS decoders.

I don't have any JMRI stuff, I used a Prodigy with ESU and Zimo decoders without any problems for around six years. I then moved to an ESU ECoS and the only decoders I ever see problems with are when friends bring TTS-fitted locomotives to run on my layout.

Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the CVs can be adjusted, sometimes the TTS decoder will just not respond at all to POM or on the Programming Track.

John

Its not beyond possibility that the soldering iron used has built up a static electric charge and that has been discharged through the chip.

Way back when I was doing mods to pcbs for BT, we had specially earthed soldering irons to prevent just such damage.

Edit to add following:

I regularly 'earth' my soldering iron by touching it on an earthing plate on my workbench.

This is simply a small piece of brass connected to the earth pin of a 3 pin plug - all other pins are removed to prevent inadvertent contact with Live and/or Neutral (in case anyone was worried), though if you want something a bit more sophisticated, these are available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bench-Mount-Dual-Ground-Point-Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-Connector-/291577687509?epid=1338367404&hash=item43e3626dd5:g:C4gAAOSwXk5ZcCHZ

I also use one of these (or similar) when handling any ESD sensitive electronics:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/401109928443?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=41767405657&rlsatarget=pla-327666149029&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=9702594&poi=&googleloc=1006674&device=c&campaignid=861364981&crdt=0

Usual disclaimers etc - not recommendations, just examples.

Edited by leopardml2341

I think it is just the TTS decoders.

I don't have any JMRI stuff, I used a Prodigy with ESU and Zimo decoders without any problems for around six years. I then moved to an ESU ECoS and the only decoders I ever see problems with are when friends bring TTS-fitted locomotives to run on my layout.

Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the CVs can be adjusted, sometimes the TTS decoder will just not respond at all to POM or on the Programming Track.

John

Another good reason not to bother with them .

I had one in a Bachmann 37 , it simply didn't cut the mustard , it worked when it felt like working .

Sold loco and chip on eBay stating  that I was selling it as a non sound model to avoid comebacks .

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Posted on SWD site yesterday!

Please be advised that the new Hornby TTS decoders will FAIL when used with RailCom enabled dcc systems.  The older TTS decoders were more tolerable of the RailCom cutout signal so would run.  Please note this is NOT an ESU issue and all concerns should be directed at Hornby customer service.

Is your controller railcom enabled?

Please be advised that the new Hornby TTS decoders will FAIL when used with RailCom enabled dcc systems.  The older TTS decoders were more tolerable of the RailCom cutout signal so would run.  Please note this is NOT an ESU issue and all concerns should be directed at Hornby customer service.

Surely they tested the decoders with as many controllers as possible? It is astonishing that something like this has slipped through the net.

Or is it . . .?

Maybe the low target price was set by "marketing" or the "bean counters" and this precluded the necessary detailed testing after the development work . . . if that is what happened, it will be far from the first time!

John

Do we have a Hornby point of contact on RMWeb anymore , they might like to comment on this ?

• RMweb Gold

Correct but if the cutout signal is constantly being tramitted by the controller (either because it just does that) or there is another railcom decoder on the track then there is the potential for the current involved with the cutout signal to damage the decoder. Perhaps the more DCC savvy amongst us will know?

SWD dont really go into the issue or how they have come to the conclusion (which to be fair they dont have to) 

Edited by pheaton

Correct but if the cutout signal is constantly being tramitted by the controller (either because it just does that) or there is another railcom decoder on the track then there is the potential for the current involved with the cutout signal to damage the decoder. Perhaps the more DCC savvy amongst us will know?

SWD dont really go into the issue or how they have come to the conclusion (which to be fair they dont have to) 

My Elite is set to RailCom On by default of the current firmware state but has not killed any of my decoders to date. RailCom chat is sent back by the decoder to the controller if I read NMRA standards correctly by way of slipping the data packet into a generated gap in the DCC signal.

Rob.