RMweb

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 380John said:

Beautiful vessel currently doing day cruises around the River Cleddau here in Pembrokeshire. If there's any ship spotters aboard they'll have had a great day. LNG vessel berthed this morning and a flurry of product tankers in the following 14 hours. Managed to get a nice shot of her from the bridge wing a couple of hours ago. "Johanna Lucretia".... 

John 

DSC_4961.JPG

At first glance I thought she had a bl00dy great propeller on her mainmast.

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just on the way home after some refresher training at Clydebank. I realised this morning that I had been walking past the birthplace of Hood, QM, QE and QE2, amongst others. Just a crane left; a college has been built on the site and the rest will mainly become yuppie housing, I think

20210702_070611.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, MarkC said:

I'm just on the way home after some refresher training at Clydebank. I realised this morning that I had been walking past the birthplace of Hood, QM, QE and QE2, amongst others. Just a crane left; a college has been built on the site and the rest will mainly become yuppie housing, I think

20210702_070611.jpg

I recently did all my refreshers at CTS too.

Managed to struggle into the raft ok during the PST, but jeez it doesn't get any easier!

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

I recently did all my refreshers at CTS too.

Managed to struggle into the raft ok during the PST, but jeez it doesn't get any easier!

I know what you mean - the poolex wasn't too bad, but I made the error of volunteering to be the #1 in the big fireex... Yes, we got the job done, but I scared myself ****less when I realised just how unfit I now am... Still, all certificates renewed & some good gen acquired to pass on to the guys on board at fire drills...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MarkC said:

I know what you mean - the poolex wasn't too bad, but I made the error of volunteering to be the #1 in the big fireex... Yes, we got the job done, but I scared myself ****less when I realised just how unfit I now am... Still, all certificates renewed & some good gen acquired to pass on to the guys on board at fire drills...

I've got mine coming up in August. Apparently I'm going to a flooded quarry somewhere in Gloucester for it? I'll be glad to get them done and out of the way again! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarkC said:

I was number 4 in the fire team and thought I was on easy street until I realised I had to feed the hose all the way in and out. That and once we were in the bottom room the fire was impressively large and very close!

For what we could manage in a day I thought the basic fire fighting was quite decent compared to some other places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bon Accord said:

I was number 4 in the fire team and thought I was on easy street until I realised I had to feed the hose all the way in and out. That and once we were in the bottom room the fire was impressively large and very close!

For what we could manage in a day I thought the basic fire fighting was quite decent compared to some other places.

That fire was quite toasty when I was up close and personal; thank goodness for the foam branch! I won...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I definitely think we were much luckier on BR where all we had to deal with to pass the course was a  large metal tray (about a yard square) full of burning diesel

That sounds like the one I took at Eurotunnel; the instructor (who was from a Chatham-based training company) had great difficulty getting the stuff to catch,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I remember this from my guard's training at Canton; our fire inspector also had some difficulty getting the diesel to catch.  On the only occasion I ever had to deal with a real fire, on a brake van set alight by overheated brake blocks, I extinguished it successfully with the only equipment I had to hand, but it then relit itself shortly afterwards and I had to abandon the van at Ebbw Jc yard.  On the basis that brake vans were condemned if they needed more than 50p spending on them, I claimed to have only done ten bob's worth of damage, and managed to rescue the lamps, brake stick, shunting pole, and track circuit clips., which I reckon offset the 50p in replacement costs...

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I definitely think we were much luckier on BR where all we had to deal with to pass the course was a  large metal tray (about a yard square) full of burning diesel

Off topic I know, but learning to use a third-rail short-circuiting bar was much more exciting!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed the two Iranian Navy ships that are in the Baltic Sea?

The Danish military has said that it has spotted an Iranian destroyer and a large support vessel sailing through the Baltic Sea, thought to be heading to Russia for a military parade in the coming days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/22/danish-military-spots-iranian-navy-ships-in-baltic-sea

The "large support vessel" looks more like a DIY budget Marine Assault Carrier. Not in the same league as HMS Albion, but you could probably have ten or more of those for the price of an Albion-class ship. 

An AIS track of the route they took would be interesting ;-)

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Has anyone else noticed the two Iranian Navy ships that are in the Baltic Sea?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/22/danish-military-spots-iranian-navy-ships-in-baltic-sea

The "large support vessel" looks more like a DIY budget Marine Assault Carrier. Not in the same league as HMS Albion, but you could probably have ten or more of those for the price of an Albion-class ship. 

An AIS track of the route they took would be interesting ;-)

They went up through the channel. Internationally recognised shipping lane so no problem, just like when the Russians do it. 

The Guardian could have done a little more research.  Calling the Sahand a destroyer is very generous. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kris said:

They went up through the channel. Internationally recognised shipping lane so no problem, just like when the Russians do it.

The Guardian could have done a little more research.  Calling the Sahand a destroyer is very generous. 

Yes, maybe calling it a "destroyer" sounds scarier?

Looks more like a small frigate to me, what do you reckon?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Yes, maybe calling it a "destroyer" sounds scarier?

Looks more like a small frigate to me, what do you reckon?

I seem to recall from my youth that when a Labour government ordered a ship it was a frigate but when ordered by the Conservatives it was a destroyer.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

Thank you, I'll be sure to impress the locals with my new found knowledge!  Any idea what exactly these offshore workers are up to? 

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea :)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1