The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Showing my age now. When Canberra was being built one of the children's tv shows, perhaps Blue Peter, started a construction series on building a model of her and viewers could send off for a set of drawings for the build. Mine duly arrived, was taken out of the envelope to be drooled over, then put back never to be seen again. I wonder if anyone actually built a model?

I built an Airfix one.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2019 at 23:03, Taigatrommel said:

Hi Legend,

Storegut is indeed a successor to Hydro which was sunk as part of the heavy water sabotage.  During the cruise Storegut stopped over the location of Hydro's wreck and sounded her horn.  My impression is that although there was sorrow at the loss of civilian life in the sinking, there was a feeling amongst the locals that the action was justified.  Whether this feeling has come from hindsight or otherwise, I couldn't say.  It's still a sobering reminder of how war spares no innocents.

My children's Norwegian godmother is still saddened by this. It's still within living memory that WW2 ripped apart many Norwegian families, where some agreed with the Quisling colloboration (peace at any cost) while some wanted freedom at any cost. Even 60+ years later, that still affects Norway and it's relationship with the EU.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2019 at 18:23, skipepsi said:

They were not designed by accountants.

I dunno about that, I am not sure that there has ever been a time where shipping companies didn't value thrift and frugality....... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I dunno about that, I am not sure that there has ever been a time where shipping companies didn't value thrift and frugality....... 

Some might say the design of the Titanic is a classic example. (I say chaps, we could save money on the design of those bulkheads...)

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

M'yes, but the likes of P & O also recognised the value of image too - and  brutalist architecture notwithstanding, things usually had to look 'sleek' and 'modern' - Canberra and QE2 certainly did just that

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I built an Airfix Canberra as well.  In October 1965, aged 13, I went on one of British India’s educational cruises aboard ‘Devonia’.  On passage Lisbon-Malaga, making her stately progress southward about 10 miles off the Portuguese coast at 12 knots, a white dot appeared astern.  It was a flat calm sunny morning, and the dot fairly rapidly morphed into a shape familiar from the kit, though I ‘d never seen the real thing before. 

She shot past us about 200 yards to starboard as if the chief engineer was on a promise, with every kid on board Devonia cheering like idiots at the top of our lungs.  I believe she cruised at 32 knots, and on that calm day with the sun directly on her, she looked nothing less than stunning.  Devonia blew her feeble horn in salute, and to everybody’s euphoric delight, Leviathan acknowledged!

Shaw Saville’s ‘Southern Cross’ passed us going the other way later in the day, between St Vincent and Gibraltar, all lit up in the dusk, a good day’s ship watching.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Other notable passing vessels on this cruise were Union Castle's 'Windsor Castle', P & O's 'Oriana' and Devonia's own sister ship Dunera, which provoked another bout of senseless and over-enthusiastic cheering from both ships's complement of kids...

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Other notable passing vessels on this cruise were Union Castle's 'Windsor Castle', P & O's 'Oriana' and Devonia's own sister ship Dunera, which provoked another bout of senseless and over-enthusiastic cheering from both ships's complement of kids...

:D

Had you pesky kids got access to the ship's rum store?

My kid brother once went on a Oriana school cruise round the Med. By all accounts, it was an under-age booze cruise, with runs ashore to sample the cheapest and most lethal local brews at every opportunity.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I was 13, and booze played a part.  We were allowed free shore time in Lisbon, and felt very sophisticated and European drinking bottled beer in street cafes to the backdrop of Fado songs.  Lisbon taxis were very cheap and we used them to get around the city, adding to the delusion that we were sophisticate international men of mystery.  The ship's rum store was not available to us, though the accompanying teachers indulged.  The main alcohol related activity occurred in the last port of call, Vigo in northwest Spain, where parent's instructions to acquire as much duty free stuff as possible were obeyed.  We were to disembark in Liverpool, and despite everybody carrying well over the limit of booze and ciggies, Customs more or less ignored our clanking and clinking bags and cases and the fact that we were struggling with the weight.

We were allowed incredible amounts of unsupervised freedom, of a sort unimaginable to modern kids, on board at sea.  Lessons had to be attended of course, but these were mostly films and presentations about the next port and hardly onerous. Meals were in sittings, and enthusiastically attended; British India seemed to be on a mission to prove that they could supply teenagers with more food than they could manage.  Helpings were massive, seconds or even thirds if there was time always available, and good quality plain cooking it was, too.  The ship had been originally designed as a troop carrier and the amounts of fodder required for burly squaddies had not apparently been reduced in accordance with our relative lack of burliness.  That apart, we had the run of the ship except for the officer/teacher deck and cabins, bridge, and engine room.  

The cabins contained about 8 or 10 of us each in bunk beds, again designed for burly squaddies and quite comfortable for us.  Lights out was at 22.00, and order was kept by a terrifying Master At Arms; he was unable to stop our raids on the girls' cabins or their reciprocal raids on ours.  You could go up to the  lounge at any time and be fed cocoa and toast.  We had free time ashore in Lisbon and Vigo, but had to be back aboard by 21.00.  The other port, Malaga, was a bit more rushed; on the buses to Granada as soon as she moored and straight back aboard after a long day out; we got back at about 21.00 and were given supper straight away, so we never actually saw much of Malaga!

We had pretty good weather.  It was October, and we sailed at night from Cardiff.  There was the obligatory storm in the Bay of Biscay and we were confined inside the ship, and an impressive swell as we sailed down the Portuguese coast the next day but we were allowed out, which reduced the seasickness considerably.  Calm enough for the rest of the cruise, and south of Lisbon it was warm and calm enough for the swimming pool to be filled.  Vigo-Liverpool was not rough, but overcast, damp, and misty; we arrived at Liverpool in thick fog.  

Kids were from schools in Cardiff, South Wales, and Bristol, and nowadays you'd have to keep the sexes apart with a crowbar.  We were less experienced in such matters in 1965, but a fair bit of canoodling and general shennanigins took place as you'd expect; nobody seemed to mind!  We were generally quite well behaved by the standards of 13-15 year olds.  

If you ever go to Lisbon, try to arrange to approach it from the sea; it's spectacular!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I was 13, and booze played a part.  We were allowed free shore time in Lisbon, and felt very sophisticated and European drinking bottled beer in street cafes to the backdrop of Fado songs.  Lisbon taxis were very cheap and we used them to get around the city, adding to the delusion that we were sophisticate international men of mystery.  The ship's rum store was not available to us, though the accompanying teachers indulged.  The main alcohol related activity occurred in the last port of call, Vigo in northwest Spain, where parent's instructions to acquire as much duty free stuff as possible were obeyed.  We were to disembark in Liverpool, and despite everybody carrying well over the limit of booze and ciggies, Customs more or less ignored our clanking and clinking bags and cases and the fact that we were struggling with the weight.

We were allowed incredible amounts of unsupervised freedom, of a sort unimaginable to modern kids, on board at sea.  Lessons had to be attended of course, but these were mostly films and presentations about the next port and hardly onerous. Meals were in sittings, and enthusiastically attended; British India seemed to be on a mission to prove that they could supply teenagers with more food than they could manage.  Helpings were massive, seconds or even thirds if there was time always available, and good quality plain cooking it was, too.  The ship had been originally designed as a troop carrier and the amounts of fodder required for burly squaddies had not apparently been reduced in accordance with our relative lack of burliness.  That apart, we had the run of the ship except for the officer/teacher deck and cabins, bridge, and engine room.  

The cabins contained about 8 or 10 of us each in bunk beds, again designed for burly squaddies and quite comfortable for us.  Lights out was at 22.00, and order was kept by a terrifying Master At Arms; he was unable to stop our raids on the girls' cabins or their reciprocal raids on ours.  You could go up to the  lounge at any time and be fed cocoa and toast.  We had free time ashore in Lisbon and Vigo, but had to be back aboard by 21.00.  The other port, Malaga, was a bit more rushed; on the buses to Granada as soon as she moored and straight back aboard after a long day out; we got back at about 21.00 and were given supper straight away, so we never actually saw much of Malaga!

We had pretty good weather.  It was October, and we sailed at night from Cardiff.  There was the obligatory storm in the Bay of Biscay and we were confined inside the ship, and an impressive swell as we sailed down the Portuguese coast the next day but we were allowed out, which reduced the seasickness considerably.  Calm enough for the rest of the cruise, and south of Lisbon it was warm and calm enough for the swimming pool to be filled.  Vigo-Liverpool was not rough, but overcast, damp, and misty; we arrived at Liverpool in thick fog.  

Kids were from schools in Cardiff, South Wales, and Bristol, and nowadays you'd have to keep the sexes apart with a crowbar.  We were less experienced in such matters in 1965, but a fair bit of canoodling and general shennanigins took place as you'd expect; nobody seemed to mind!  We were generally quite well behaved by the standards of 13-15 year olds.  

If you ever go to Lisbon, try to arrange to approach it from the sea; it's spectacular!

I came across the Nevada, one of the schools ships in Gibraltar a few years later. We were berthed astern of her and were discharging bunker fuel or bitumen IIRC. A run ashore meant trying to avoid the many “dolled-up” schoolgirls of the “16 going on 24” variety but one of my engineering colleagues, thinking he was being a fine and upstanding citizen, suggested to a “pretty young thing” that any brief liaison would be bordering on criminality was put in his place when she informed him in no uncertain tones that she was one of the teachers!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Teachers are good at informing people in no uncertain terms; good for her.  We passed Gibraltar on a clear morning and came in close enough to see the apes through binoculars.  The only time I have ever seen Africa.  

Here's a ferry of a very different kind - the UK's last manual operated turntable ferry.

513018508_MVGlenachulish.jpg.acf7488e32223dc7e06e49ee7265cd21.jpg

The MV Glenachulish was built in 1969, and originally served originally served between the narrows of Ballachulish and Onich prior to its relocation to Glenelg in the 1980s. Today, the ferry remains a vital link for residents on either side of the Glenelg and Kylerhea crossing

https://skyeferry.co.uk/

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1865442/final-push-as-last-seagoing-turntable-ferry-company-seeks-to-raise-10000-to-help-fund-repairs/

• Like 4

The talk of School ships took me back.

I booked a weeks holiday  on Nevasa  sailing from Southampton;  one of the adult passengers.

About a week later I received a letter  (no emails then)  asking me if I would like to travel on Uganda,  sailing from Liverpool?   The trip was in reverse to the Nevasa booking, but with an extra day  AND  for the same price.

Living in Leeds at the time I jumped at the opportunity of sailing from Liverpool.

The holiday was amazing.   Although British India SN Co had been taken over by P&O,  the standard was extremely high.

I loved Uganda,  so much so I travelled on her twice more.    As for Nevasa  I never managed to travel on her.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 19:30, Ohmisterporter said:

Showing my age now. When Canberra was being built one of the children's tv shows, perhaps Blue Peter, started a construction series on building a model of her and viewers could send off for a set of drawings for the build. Mine duly arrived, was taken out of the envelope to be drooled over, then put back never to be seen again. I wonder if anyone actually built a model?

Yes, I built one out of balsa wood.  Lost long ago.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My brother did a Baltic trip on Uganda in the early 70s. He didn't seem to have as much fun as you - or, if he did, he kept quiet about it.

You didn't miss much in Malaga - the Granada run was the right bet.

Couldn't agree more about the approach to Lisbon. Actually, the same is true of most port cities in my experience.

• Like 1

In 1966 I was one of a primary 7 class from John Watson's School in Edinburgh who had a cruise on the Dunera to Bergen, Copenhagen and Amsterdam from Grangemouth. It was fun and the first time I'd been abroad. My memory is of being seasick a lot which can't have been too traumatic given that when I left school in 1972 I went to Glasgow Nautical College as an Engineer Cadet and spent the next 44 years in the Merchant Navy.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My brother did a Baltic trip on Uganda in the early 70s. He didn't seem to have as much fun as you - or, if he did, he kept quiet about it.

You didn't miss much in Malaga - the Granada run was the right bet.

Couldn't agree more about the approach to Lisbon. Actually, the same is true of most port cities in my experience.

Certainly true of Bristol, and I'll put in a plug for Glasgow as well.  Dublin looks magnificent from about 5 miles off with the Wicklows backdrop, but doesn't follow through, and as for the approaches to London and Liverpool, I'd rather not bother.  Abroad, Sydney must be spectacular but my vote would be Montreal up the St Lawrence

I was less than impressed with the idea of going to Granada to see some fountains; I was 13 and far too damn cool for such activity.  Of course, when I got to the Alhambra it blew me away!  

• Like 1

Lisbon must be up there towards the top of my list of spectacular port entries, along with Sydney (I have a photo of my ship, taken from the Harbour Bridge as we were about to pass under it, with the Opera House in the background), Cape Town, Durban, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Cristobal (with the Panama Canal Gatun locks in the distance), Valletta, Copenhagen, Firth of Forth...

Some fjiord entries are breathtaking as well, along with certain coastlines.

Too many to list, really - as other fellow mariners will no doubt agree.

Best of all - we get paid to see such things :D

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Please may I ask if anyone has experience of approaching Constantinople (Istanbul) by sea?

(One of my dreams!)

Just the once in about 2005/6, quite a site seeing the Blue Mosque and Sultans Palace in the early morning.

What I did notice in the harbour, was the water borne equivalent of all the worst Turkish taxi drivers in battered Mercedes heading in all directions. 

24 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Please may I ask if anyone has experience of approaching Constantinople (Istanbul) by sea?

(One of my dreams!)

A few times, yes. Last time was 2 years ago. I'll see if I have photos with me, but it might only be tomorrow, when in GSM range, that I can post them. (Ship's internet is s........l..........o.......w..........)

The transit through both the Bosporus and the Dardanelles is spectacular. At least these days, thanks to the bridges that have been built since 1984 (my first transit into & out of the Black Sea), there aren't as many seemingly suicidal small ferries crossing one's bows & making Masters VERY nervous :D

Mark

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, drmditch said:

(One of my dreams!)

Yes, it is a very difficult sea passage so I was down below all the way!

• Funny 1