The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Personal safety

Peter Kazmierczak

Referring to a general page and then 'the last item on the list' isn't very helpful as said list will be appended continuously and the intended item will disappear down to further pages. Here's the direct link:

http://media.btp.police.uk/r/14457/man_jailed_for_attack_on_railway_enthusiast_that_

HTH!

Thanks.

I did try to post the link but it wouldn't attach......

Sorry if you found me unhelpful....... :scratchhead: 

The grainy footage was used to identify and track him down. When found, he had the victims blood on his trousers and shoes, and his fingerprints were found on the camera when it was subsequently recovered.

It's a fair cop guv'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago the louts would not have dared pick on the spotters as the spotters would have killed them.

It is sad when people get picked on like this, but 7 years will make the moron think.

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago the louts would not have dared pick on the spotters as the spotters would have killed them.

It is sad when people get picked on like this, but 7 years will make the moron think.

Unless he's an extremely naughty idiot he'll be out in three years, possibly less if he was held for sometime on remand before trial.  In reality for a crime such as that the 7 year sentence is nothing more than an occupational hazard while the concurrent 32 months is effectively no sentence at all.  (Yes, I'd have given him at least 10 years but with no reduction for good behaviour and extra time for bad behaviour - it might not reform him but at least he'll be out of circulation for longer.)

• RMweb Gold

Horse the comment was about consecutive v concurrent sentencing, not about prison conditions.

In any event I would rather that some low life who mugged an elderly photographer spent time locked up rather than being a problem out on the streets.

If I ruled the world, or at least the UK:

1. No concurrent sentences, all to be served consecutively.

2. All sentences to be served in full, with time added on for bad behaviour.

3. New prisons to be built to house the extra prisoners.

Due to the Pareto principle - I would expect 80% of crime to be committed by 20% of criminals or thereabouts. If this 20% are all locked up and unable to commit more crime then there would be a substantial reduction in crime. This in conjunction with the building of new prisons would allow the shutting down of older less suitably designed prisons once the prison population is past it's peak. In the long term therefore this should reduce costs as well as crime.

Edited by Titan
  • Like 2

In my experience, I doubt it.

He will do less than half of that, even less if he has been on remand.

I wonder what his list of previous convictions reads like?

Yes I assume he has them, it's the cynic in me.

If you can have concurrent prison sentences, why can't I save all my motoring fines and points up and pay them once every now and again. Same principle?

It does work like that if you are prepared to be a scofflaw. You just get right back in a vehicle however banned you may be and keep driving, refuse to pay fines, and it is years before a minor custodial sentence is imposed. Seen it happen with several individuals.

The law only applies in reality to those prepared to conform, and choke up the fines if they happen to be given such a penalty.

I think the respective lengths shows how badly out of balance society is, but that's only my opinion & as an ordinary member of the public have no influence  

"seven years in prison for robbery and 32 months’ imprisonment for GBH"