RMweb

Robert Hardy dies.

Re6/6

Always remembered his documentary on the longbows recovered from the Mary Rose.

A broadcast of this documentary would be a worthy memorial; not that often that an actor appears 'without the artifice'. Between his enthusiasm and expertise on the subject matter and his communication skills, that was one very fine programme.

A nice anecdote from one the older generation of my wife's 'very Yorkshire Dales' family. She had heard him give an address to her WI during the ACG&S period, and said of him that he deserved to have been a Yorkshireman. They don't give such a compliment lightly...

• Like 4

A broadcast of this documentary would be a worthy memorial; not that often that an actor appears 'without the artifice'. Between his enthusiasm and expertise on the subject matter and his communication skills, that was one very fine programme.

Didn't find that one, but I did find this:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My parents and I were on a ferry from Denmark to Harwich when I was 10 years old a very long time ago, as it happened Robert Hardy was on board the same ferry and my Dad asked if we could join him at the table. He very graciously let us sit and chat with him. He told us that he sailed regularly as he had a house in Jutland at the time.

My condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Slightly OT, James Herriot (Alf White) was my grandfather's vet from before and after the war for many years. He lived in Scrafton village which was across the valley from Granddad's farm in Carlton. 

He was always impressed with 'All Creatures' although fiction he said that he certainly knew 'mean' farmers like the character 'Biggins' in the series.

• Like 1

He was always impressed with 'All Creatures' although fiction he said that he certainly knew 'mean' farmers like the character 'Biggins' in the series.

I thought 'All Creatures' was based on actual events rather than fiction, with just the names changed, i.e. Alf White became James Herriot, Thirsk became Darrowby and so on? He may well have known the actual farmer referred to as 'Biggins' in the books.