The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

You might laugh but I seem to remember from school history lessons a long time ago that Ferry Mcferryface was one of our early explorers, I think from memory he discovered the Chiko roll or something?

Monkeysarefun McMonkeysarefunface

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

You might laugh but I seem to remember from school history lessons a long time ago that Ferry Mcferryface was one of our early explorers, I think from memory he discovered the Chiko roll or something?

I thought he nearly died of thirst trying to walk across the Gibson Desert from Alice Springs to Broome in the late 19th century before being led by a friendly mob of kangaroos to an oasis on the Fitzroy River.

• Like 1

Well Aussie beer can be pretty dire. IN the mid 80's my family owned a grog shop (off licence to those English here) I can remember as a 13 year old stacking beer in the cool room of a Saturday afternoon (we weren't allowed to sell alcohol after 2.00pm until the law changed in about 1989 and until 18 I was not allowed to serve a customer with alcohol.... so I became the slave labour!). The tastes changed over the years and we noticed it as we had 4 slabs  in plan and about 15 high of the most popular beer of the day This was of both stubbies and cans. This changed from about 1988 which was when fosters changed to VB and then in about 1991 it was a change from VB to Carlton!  

The beers through this period changed in Melbourne (I dont know about other states) as Swan brewery (Alan Bond) came in to Melbourne (about 1988/89) with White, Black and as discussed Gold (the womens drink). As the Beer market was being knocked around by "wine coolers" Island trader et al... truely horrible stuff really. Then in 1989 to 1991 the depression hit and people tended not to drink as much, it was a tough time in business. I can remember in about late 1991 through 1992 Toohey's (red and black) started to come into the shop. It was an interesting period to look at taste changes. Then I moved to Uni in 1993 and found beer and student life in pub crawls, booze cruises, etc which I think was VB and Carlton. Then working and driving stopped the pub crawls as the drink driving laws and time became too tight for me! 

Personally, I can't stand any Carlton United brews as I have a thumping head ache about half way through a beer as I think it is a preservative that sets it off! So I only drink James Squire's or other beers which are a little more expensive!  

Now there is such a market with so many names in the market I would say only Carlton has stayed as on tap but the rare times that I get to a pub I find they always have a new or differnet beer on tap so I will have 1 of them..... I can't drink beer as I grow in the wrong direction too quickly and it is a lot of work to get rid of it on the rower!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I thought he nearly died of thirst trying to walk across the Gibson Desert from Alice Springs to Broome in the late 19th century before being led by a friendly mob of kangaroos to an oasis on the Fitzroy River.

Where he was eaten by a croc! :bad:

Where he was eaten by a croc! :bad:

I can't imagine that an explorer in Australia could possibly end up anywhere else other than inside a croc ( though the possibility of being chewed by a brown snake does come a close second with being mauled by a balistic Roo coming an equally close third )

I can't imagine that an explorer in Australia could possibly end up anywhere else other than inside a croc ( though the possibility of being chewed by a brown snake does come a close second with being mauled by a balistic Roo coming an equally close third )

There's a great tradition of 19th century white 'explorers' setting off into the Outback horribly ill-equipped and meeting a tragic end: Burke and Wills, Ludwig Leichardt, Edmund Kennedy. A staggering proportion of them died (at least the famous ones) - mostly through tragically dropping dead some form of thirst/starvation or other malnutrition, with the occasional 'killed by aborigines'.  A few of them were just as foolhardy but lived to tell about it (like Eyre, Sturt, Forrest).

This site is a great example of the primary school level education we received on the pathos of these people.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 weeks later...

There's a great tradition of 19th century white 'explorers' setting off into the Outback horribly ill-equipped and meeting a tragic end: Burke and Wills, Ludwig Leichardt, Edmund Kennedy. A staggering proportion of them died (at least the famous ones) - mostly through tragically dropping dead some form of thirst/starvation or other malnutrition, with the occasional 'killed by aborigines'.  A few of them were just as foolhardy but lived to tell about it (like Eyre, Sturt, Forrest).

This site is a great example of the primary school level education we received on the pathos of these people.

While most Oz heroes died crossing the horizontal, ours died climbing the vertical - ie, Everest. But, of course, it took a Kiwi to conquer Everest - but not until we Brits showed him what not to do which mainly was not to fall off.

Edited by allan downes

While most Oz heroes died crossing the horizontal, ours died climbing the vertical - ie, Everest. But, of course, it took a Kiwi to conquer Everest - but not until we Brits showed him what not to do which mainly was not to fall off.

Let's call them explorers rather than "heroes".

There were plenty of mad dog Englishmen (and Scots) who went out in the midday sun (or blizzards or whatever) never to return - and most of them not trying to conquer the vertical.

Scott of the Antarctic comes to mind, along with several who didn't perish like Shackleton, who went in every possible direction. Plenty in Africa too.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Let's call them explorers rather than "heroes".

There were plenty of mad dog Englishmen (and Scots) who went out in the midday sun (or blizzards or whatever) never to return - and most of them not trying to conquer the vertical.

Scott of the Antarctic comes to mind, along with several who didn't perish like Shackleton, who went in every possible direction. Plenty in Africa too.

I once built a garage for some very elderly old dear's daughter in Beaconsfield who apparently was Scott's secretary or so she said. Anyway,it was the old lady that gave me her deceased husband's mint, low mileage Wolesley 6/90

that my Uncle Jim wrote off the next day.

Anyway, I'm building an O gauge micro layout right now which has got absolutely nothing whatsoever to with Scott, this forum, or anyone else.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 3

That's bloody outrageous, where the f ### are all the other twits that were voted onto the gravy train into parliament to supposedly make this country run?

No wonder we're in the sh!t.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's bloody outrageous, where the f ### are all the other twits that were voted onto the gravy train into parliament to supposedly make this country run?

No wonder we're in the sh!t.

The problem lies much deeper than you suggest. Who are the mysterious 'backroom' members of the Liberal party, who unfathomably put him at the top of the Senate ticket for Tasmania? That GUARANTEES him a place in the Senate, without having to do any work at all. Instead he has all the time in the world, to write his rubbish thought bubbles.

As for the other Senators absence, who can blame them?

This just in.......

That pantheon of freedom, the NSA - America's guarantor of your security by checking on your web browsing habits - has alerted the White House to an urgent requirement for action in Australia.

"Previous unknown unknowns have now become known unknowns via data [redacted] from RMWeb.

The U.S. is particularly concerned about the existence of spiders that are apparently trained, funded and, probably, deployed by external foreign powers within Australia. Which we think is in central Europe.

These “Red Backed" spiders, by definition, are a real and present threat and concurrent with U.S. policy of freaking the out at anything that can be misconstrued as originating from Russia, China or North Korea, the United States is now on some sort of war footing with Arachnids in...("Where was it?!")...Austramalia.

God bless America. This broadcast was bought to you by Stinky Shmola, taste the feeling."

Message ends...

C6T.

Then again, we are a little damp here on the east coast. Melbourne only managed 30mm of rain but parts have received 300mm this weekend. Not seen much about NSW but I know it has been wet.

If your coming for Christmas.. remember the fire danger will be really high as with all the rain early in summer the fire load increases!

Have to correct this... here in Blackburn we received 105mm... didn't think it was that much!

Edited by DougN
  • Like 3