Class 47 question

I pulled out the 2 IC 47s in the collection earlier in the week and was researching around but with my limited knowledge I couldn't figure out the differences on either of them to see if they where suitable for the shell swap to the one I want to model. I intend to model 47524 seen many times in the yard at Churnet Valley Railway under restoration to which the 2 in my collection are 47487 and 47613 both Hornby. To my knowledge either might be the closest but I bet someone will say the chassis is totally different on the 47/5 which will require me to get 3rd 47. Iv been looking for a RES body shell for ages to the correct specs as the one I want to model with plates and if I remember correctly Fox may do the plate.

You can find loads of useful info and photos on "class47.co.uk". Some of the main things you should check are the type of tank/battery box the loco carries, the type of headcode panel and marker lights carried, the shape and type of the boiler port fitted, and position of ETH equipment if fitted.

Hope this is of some help.

Been down to the railway today to do some work on our project and managed to snap some more pics of it. The Diesel group guy was there and explained when i asked it sat at Crewe after withdrawal then later purchased by a guy and brought here but my weird question he wasn't able to answer is why has it got 47/4 stickers (see photo) on it when its numbered as 47/5

post-24282-0-32342500-1503084369_thumb.jpg

Anyway here the link to the drive iv uploaded the photos I have from the past and today to sift through or if you like for your viewing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1UDzDvDhBC3U1RBWVVCMEszSkk?usp=sharing

• RMweb Premium

Been down to the railway today to do some work on our project and managed to snap some more pics of it. The Diesel group guy was there and explained when i asked it sat at Crewe after withdrawal then later purchased by a guy and brought here but my weird question he wasn't able to answer is why has it got 47/4 stickers (see photo) on it when its numbered as 47/5

47/4 started at 47401. They just carried on the number series as more were converted to electric train heating supply (ETH or ETS).

From memory, the 47/4 series went up to 47660 or so.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

There is no such thing as a 47/5. The 47/4s ran to more than 100 examples, so had to take up the 475xx series (and some of the 476xx series too). 

More interesting is why the long range Inter City 47s were shown as 47/4 or 47/8 on the data panel depending on which depot they belonged to - Crewe or Bristol (but I forget now which depot numbered them which way).

Cheers for the info the more I look the more my North Star has the same or similar body to the one I want to model so gives me something to look out for on the RES 47/4 body shell I eventually purchase. no point buying the gear to start the project without the shell first but time to keep digging and have a look at the underframe now on it. A question who would do the antenna and was it on both ends or just the end I photographed today

Edited by jamessolomon

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the info the more I look the more my North Star has the same or similar body to the one I want to model so gives me something to look out for on the RES 47/4 body shell I eventually purchase. no point buying the gear to start the project without the shell first but time to keep digging and have a look at the underframe now on it. A question who would do the antenna and was it on both ends or just the end I photographed today

Shawplan/Extreme Etchings are usually the go-to guys for etched detailing parts for diesels.

They do both T and V shaped aerial mounts for the 47s - depends on your particular choice of prototype.. They are normally fitted at both ends.

The usual main details (there are more) to look out for on 47s are:

Fuel tanks, headlight/headcode variation (they can be different at either end)

Roof boiler port - round/square/blanked etc.

ETH/ETS mounting.

Buffer beam fairings.

And some of these details can vary through the lifetime of the loco.

Happy researching.

Cheers,

Mick

Shawplan/Extreme Etchings are usually the go-to guys for etched detailing parts for diesels.

They do both T and V shaped aerial mounts for the 47s - depends on your particular choice of prototype.. They are normally fitted at both ends.

The usual main details (there are more) to look out for on 47s are:

Fuel tanks, headlight/headcode variation (they can be different at either end)

Roof boiler port - round/square/blanked etc.

ETH/ETS mounting.

Buffer beam fairings.

And some of these details can vary through the lifetime of the loco.

Happy researching.

Cheers,

Mick

Can I ask what is the roof boiler port and where to look for it

Iv had to resort to using flickr to find shots of the top of the 47 before the engine was removed and the tarp erected to figure out the roof boiler type

https://flic.kr/p/bsABNA

https://flic.kr/p/bUKhUn

But I might be wrong but it might be the wrong side I'm looking at perhaps

47524 had a universal boiler compartment, the boiler exhaust for the Stones boiler fitted would have been just behind the cab on the secondmans side, further back along the boiler compartment roof would be a raised plate with a second raised plate on it, on this plate would be two small holes for the boiler safety valves.

Al Taylor

47524 had a universal boiler compartment, the boiler exhaust for the Stones boiler fitted would have been just behind the cab on the secondmans side, further back along the boiler compartment roof would be a raised plate with a second raised plate on it, on this plate would be two small holes for the boiler safety valves.

Al Taylor

We are only allowed access to the cab on one end and nothing else unless the diesel group leader is around working on it

• RMweb Premium

Iv had to resort to using flickr to find shots of the top of the 47 before the engine was removed and the tarp erected to figure out the roof boiler type

https://flic.kr/p/bsABNA

https://flic.kr/p/bUKhUn

But I might be wrong but it might be the wrong side I'm looking at perhaps

That's all part of the fun researching your project!!

I often dredge Flickr for shots for my loco projects - often gathering at least 20-30 pics to get all angles covered, screenshot them on your phone and useful to have on the workbench - great for weathering detail later too! The very best bit is that you know you've got your model 100% accurate so you can always outsmart the inevitable 'know-it-alls' you get at shows - the most satisfying part!!

Best of luck :)

James

That's all part of the fun researching your project!!

I often dredge Flickr for shots for my loco projects - often gathering at least 20-30 pics to get all angles covered, screenshot them on your phone and useful to have on the workbench - great for weathering detail later too! The very best bit is that you know you've got your model 100% accurate so you can always outsmart the inevitable 'know-it-alls' you get at shows - the most satisfying part!!

Best of luck :)

James

I have access to it at the railway to take as many detailed shots required its just the roof that id need Flickr for since the tarp is on it and some missing detail removed from the loco at present during its restoration but it does help with research

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Guest teacupteacup

Returned to this project finally after clearing some other non railway ones from the bench and have a question will a Lima body shell fit onto a Hornby chassis

A Lima shell will fit onto a Hornby railroad chassis which is the old Lima chassis altered and upgraded with a new motor and a DCC socket.  

Edit - not all the Railroad 47's are the ex-Lima ones!

Edited by teacupteacup