RMweb

Disorder in Cromer and Sheringham last night

Pete 75C

Trouble in paradise, indeed.

Had to go and collect my daughter and some of her friends early from Cromer last night.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/pubs-close-in-cromer-as-police-manage-low-level-disorder-incidents-1-5155838?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

post-17811-0-95048100-1503215264.jpg

Came home and had a quick look on social media to see what the problem was. A bunch of "travellers" had moved onto the seafront car park in Cromer and reports of petty theft and disorder began to trickle in. Some of the comments on Twitter were outrageous though... you'd think the Apocalypse had arrived and headless horsemen were marauding along the coast between Cromer and Sheringham. As I drove home past the travellers' chosen overnight stop, I was struck by how modern some of their motorhomes were. It looked more like an outing by the Camping and Caravanning Club.

I must confess that this made me chuckle though...

post-17811-0-09113500-1503215244.jpg

Reports of the overnight demise of a seaside town have been grossly overexaggerated on Twitter and Facebook.

• RMweb Gold

You're lucky you got "Extra resources" we had a wedding followed by traveller funeral here a month ago and the crime rate went through the roof.  Police did nothing and left it to landowners to get court orders to move them on, one landowner had them move from one part of his land to another 3 times and at £5000 a pop he gave up. 

After they went the clear up bill for the Town Council was enormous, apart from the remains of 5 burglaries and break ins that they obviously didn't want there was all the crap in plastic bags that has to be dealt with. 

I've always found it odd that you can have a £60,000 car, and a £50,000 van and yet think it normal to take a dump with a stinging nettle up your arse.

• Like 1

No income, no NI number, no tax, no fixed address, must be nice to be poor.

Mike.

Check the vehicles tax, insurance & MOT status. If non existent crush them.

They would crush mine if I did similar.

Brit15

• Like 1

Once a year they descend on the Appleby area.

We went up the week before to secure our caravan, the site owner intended to lock the gates and was telling people they wouldn't be open. Stakes had been driven into the verges every 20ft or do, for miles around. CCTV cameras proliferated, frequent overflights by the helicopter ... no contribution at all from the visitors, naturally. Locals detest it, for the mess and the disruption to regular tourist trade; they reckon the long weekend costs them 2 weeks income.

Funny you should mention it, but the downside of the Great Dorset Steam Fair is the 'travellers' . The whole of Dorset goes on 'lockdown' because of the problems they bring, Poole has felt the brunt of it for the last week or so. They can park where ever they want, we have to pay,ah well, some yer win, some yer lose!!

Currently on holiday in Cromer, several pubs, shops and restaurants closed on a busy Summer Sunday.

Several police cars cruising around.

Passed the camp this morning, 25 + very large and very expensive camper vans scattered around Council car park.

Several vans on the move through the town, no number plates, kids in the front not wearing seat belts, Pity their next destination

Left Northampton last week, travellers causing chaos there, groups moving around, camping on public parks and football pitches, breaking down barriers to access sites, vandalism, mess, damage etc in their wake

Playing the system, taking the mickey and getting away with it

Richard

& Here in Sheringham, it will be a traffic filled day !

(that's the _other_ Sheringham, Sheringham Point, Shirley, BC, Canada !)

As it's our annual Fete, at which I need to be to string a ball on a string up for our munchkins to bash with a firehose...

No traction engine this year- I need to pull my thumb out and get it going again, but the fire risk is still extreme across all BC, so I don't need to start a forest fire.

James

• Like 2

local farmer dealt with them very effectively" five mins to be off my land and the muck spreader comes out " and out it came one run across the far end of the field and they were packing up and leaving funnily enough they have never been back 

• Like 10

There is no room for these "travellers" in today's Britain. They say more places should be provided for them but I have to ask why? Do they pay income tax and council tax? If not why not? In years gone by it was an acceptable lifestyle but there isn't any spare space in most of England and also there isn't the same need for itinerant labour. It's a lifestyle for which the country no longer has a need for in the same way as we no longer have gas lamp lighters or horses working on the railway. I do know that after they have illegally occupied a public space that a big cleanup is required paid for by our council tax.

• Like 2

There is no room for these "travellers" in today's Britain. They say more places should be provided for them but I have to ask why? Do they pay income tax and council tax? If not why not? In years gone by it was an acceptable lifestyle but there isn't any spare space in most of England and also there isn't the same need for itinerant labour. It's a lifestyle for which the country no longer has a need for in the same way as we no longer have gas lamp lighters or horses working on the railway. I do know that after they have illegally occupied a public space that a big cleanup is required paid for by our council tax.

It's hardly true that itinerant labour no longer has a place...

local farmer dealt with them very effectively" five mins to be off my land and the muck spreader comes out " and out it came one run across the far end of the field and they were packing up and leaving funnily enough they have never been back

Legendary Norfolk hospitality!

Sorry, misunderstood the muckspreading comment.

Another farmer whose land was invaded by this blight said if they liked his field so much they were welcome to stay and dug a trench across the entrance.

I've always found the only thing farmers hate more than the travelling community is paying for stuff.

Nik

• Like 1

I see that before leaving Cromer the travellers completely trashed the town and caused 3 million pounds worth of improvements.

Mike.

£3m? What did they do, burn it to the ground?

I've seen the report in the Norfolk Star, and it seemed quite low-key... then again, they are accustomed to travellers there..

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, misunderstood the muckspreading comment.

Another farmer whose land was invaded by this blight said if they liked his field so much they were welcome to stay and dug a trench across the entrance.

I've always found the only thing farmers hate more than the travelling community is paying for stuff.

Nik

Knowing the ridiculous way the laws of the country work, it wouldn't surprise me if the farmer was arrested for unlawful imprisonment!

Mike.

Farmers are easy enough to deal with. Back in my pipeline days, a Land Agent told me that you just needed to pull out a piece of paper, and starting writing zeroes on it. You then have their undivided attention; apparently the reflex can be detected up to a week after death intervenes..