RMweb

WORLD'S WORST EVER MOVIES !

allan downes

Oh Sir - I would be prepared to trade Haddock slaps at dawn with you over that ............... many many are dire I agree but not boring - dire only makes them more watchable ............ :mail:

Currently watching "The War of the Worlds" (1953 version) on satellite - standard hysterical female and all ............ made 64 years ago and still a GREAT film ...............

It certainly beats the awful remake with Tom Cruise, but it would be nice to have a film version that reflects the book's original story set in England.  There was talk that Jeff Wayne's musical version was to be made into a film, but nothing came of that

jim

This Island Earth anyone?

I'm afraid, much like Westerns of the period, Sci-fi films from the 50s & 60s don't really do it for me as a child of the following two decades. The hokey effects, music (all the time) and dubious acting ability putting me right off.

The Thing from Another World (subsequently done far better by John Carpenter with clipped title) isn't bad, bloke in rubber suit notwithstanding. I'll watch The Day the Earth Stood Still for the quality acting.

But I'll watch Forbidden Planet over and over. Terrific motion picture.

When Worlds Collide is a good giggle.

I quite like the first two Planet of the Apes movies, and Chuck Heston again in The Omega Man.

There's another colour film, satellite crashes bringing back a virus to small town America and scientists in deep bunker try to suss it out, can't remember the name...?

Not Sci-fi per se, but little mentioned anti nuclear Brit classic The Day the Earth Caught Fire, with a great turn by many years prior to Rumpole (or The Prisoner?) Leo McKern, left its mark on a teenage C6T living up the road from RAF Wattisham in the Eighties!

C6T.

• Like 2

Thank you John, you're a sweetheart, yes it is.

I caught it first time round on Moviedrome. It's not a short film and being late I not surprisingly nodded off, much to my chagrin. I've bumped into it a couple more times since but I don't think I've ever watched it from start to finish in one sitting. A dvd purchase is vitally necessary I think.

Thanx John, C6T.

I don't know, the Porridge spin off movie holds up well with the series.

Back to Worst Movies - managed to half watch Batman and Robin, a deeply horrible experience, proving that a huge budget, big hollywood stars and a proven concept can be oh so terrible -  George Clooney still apologies to fans for it.

I felt that Porridge movie was a bit of a poor relation to the tv series. This was probably not helped because I think they used a different location to the series so it had a different look about it. In my experience very few comedy movie spin offs transfer over to the big screen. The Bottom one has always been mentioned, I hear Rising Damp was pretty poor and the Dad's Army remake had mixed reviews.

I do wonder what would happen if Only Fools and Horses made it to the big screen. Some of the Christmas specials come close to movie length with "Miami Twice" probably the closest to a feature film and that was probably one of the weakest of these specials.

• RMweb Premium

You see, JB, directors do insist on gorgeous looking bimbo's screwing up war films. If John Wayne wasn't winning the war on his own, he was dating every nurse in sight which says a lot about movie audiences in general who just can't get enough of it - At least Stephen Spielburg  didn't have rifle toting bimbo's prancing about all over the beach in the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan !

Another great war film was, Ice Cold In Alex but, and even then, they had to include the bimbo element that was firmly attracted to John Mills when Anthony Quale would have been a far better proposition !  And what else gets me is, why can't these bimbo's look more like my mother-in-law for a change instead of something that looks like it's just stepped out of page three !

Allan.

Ice Cold in Alex was a wonderful film and is still hugely enjoyable and with a terrific plot. I used to spend quite a lot of time in Alexandria and always asked to stay in the Cecil Hotel which was steeped in history and the centre of much intrigue in WW2. When I stayed there in the late 90's - early 00's it was a bit seedy and run down (despite being part of the upmarket Sofitel chain) but it had character in bucket loads and felt so much nicer than the identifit international hotels I usually stayed at (a bit like Raffles in Singapore before it was refurbished and "improved"). The restored blu ray of Ice Cold in Alex is well worth buying, for some reason many seem to think HD is only pertinent to modern blockbusters yet many of the best HD transfers are old B&W classics.

On bimbos, with the best will in the world I'm afraid I'd take a nice bit of eye candy over having to look at the mother-in-law 9 days out of 7......

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Oliver Stone's "JFK". OK, in many ways it is a great film with some great acting from a stellar cast but it is scary how many people who seem to think it is some sort of documentary (made worse by the fact that Oliver Stone seems to take some of his own tinfoil hat wearing paranoid fantasies seriously) and just feeds that whole conspiracy theory cottage industry.

• RMweb Premium

For bad war films I'll nominate Raid on Rommel, despite starring Richard Burton it was basically a repackage of footage filmed for the George Peppard/Rock Hudson movie Tobruk. Tobruk wasn't great movie making but it was quite entertaining and at least it was the original movie for the footage used.

The Andromeda Strain was an earlier novel, and the one that first brought him widespread success, by Jurassic Park author Michael Crichton. He had a medical/science background and many of his novels incorporated science based themes. Quite a few made it to the screen, some better than others.

One re-make that did work well was The Sweeney. I was certain it could not possibly be any good without Thaw/Waterman, but I was wrong. The original film spin offs from the TV series were in contrast, pretty forgettable, but still useful for street scenes of the 70's.

It certainly beats the awful remake with Tom Cruise, but it would be nice to have a film version that reflects the book's original story set in England.  There was talk that Jeff Wayne's musical version was to be made into a film, but nothing came of that

I love Jeff Wayne's musical version. Sadly the chances of anything coming from that are a million-to-one (he said).

• Like 1

The Andromeda Strain was an earlier novel, and the one that first brought him widespread success, by Jurassic Park author Michael Crichton. He had a medical/science background and many of his novels incorporated science based themes. Quite a few made it to the screen, some better than others.

And back to bad movies - Timeline, probably the worst of the Crichton movies, and i am a fan of the books

One re-make that did work well was The Sweeney. I was certain it could not possibly be any good without Thaw/Waterman, but I was wrong. The original film spin offs from the TV series were in contrast, pretty forgettable, but still useful for street scenes of the 70's.

And who could forget the Triumph 2500 through the plate glass window and the Blaggers Series 1 Jag

• Like 1