Another 2 boards have had their fronts painted today, one more to go plus the staging boards.

This photo shows the difference between the painted and unpainted woodwork...

20200322_192310

I also dedicated a foam tray to hold the two 2mt tanks and the push-pull coaches. Ive ordered two 11litre 'Very Useful Boxes' to hold these trays. Each one will/should hold two trays, so one box will fit two DMUs and the push-pull. Ideal. 

20200322_192256

I then decided to pose the push-pull train on the layout. 

20200322_194856

20200322_194921

Apologies for the poor quality photos. 

• Like 6

Having today been stood down from work due to Corona, im now in a position where I have atleast 3 weeks of free time to fill. 

Whilst I dont have the materials to build board 1, im giving consideration into modifying a staging board into a standard board and then doing that. I will definitely however be improving what I already have and hopefully some rolling stock projects. 

A small little job done today, fitting the Derby Lightweight and class 108 DMUs with Bangor and Amlwch destinations to make them suitable for the layout. 

20200324_143134 20200324_161405 20200324_161652

These are simply waterslide transfers from Railtec, and are very good. They're also really quick in despatch and have superb customer service. Highly recommended. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

So it's almost 3 years since the last post on this thread, which was near enough the start of the Covid pandemic.

Before the world stood still, the layout was due, that March, to feature in it's second exhibition, being the Anglesey Model and Collections show in Llangefni. Alas, the lockdown put paid to that, and with it, work on the layout ceased.

This year, the layout has again received an invite, so there will be some work now to tidy up the layout and get it back up to standard!

I will share updates as I go.

FB_IMG_1673301035895.jpg.8311bc4ed1728cff4dbdae009f704fff.jpg

Edited by CazRail
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, CazRail said:

So it's almost 3 years since the last post on this thread, which was near enough the start of the Covid pandemic.

Before the world stood still, the layout was due, that March, to feature in it's second exhibition, being the Anglesey Model and Collections show in Llangefni. Alas, the lockdown put paid to that, and with it, work on the layout ceased.

This year, the layout has again received an invite, so there will be some work now to tidy up the layout and get it back up to standard!

I will share updates as I go.

FB_IMG_1673301035895.jpg.8311bc4ed1728cff4dbdae009f704fff.jpg

On 11/01/2023 at 00:59, Merfyn Jones said:

Not sure yet what to bring.

Whatever you bring I look forward to see it!

So tonight I completed one project ready for March's show, which was to replace the blown decoder in my Ivatt 2mt tank.

I used a LaisDCC 6-pin socket, wired to the loco using the harness, then popped in a Zimo MS500 chip loaded with Paul Chetter's 2mt sound project, supported by a stay alive capacitor(stowed away in the coal bunker) and a Rail Exclusive Baby Boomer speaker.

Very happy to have this loco back in action, it'll hopefully add some extra interest on the day, along with my DCC Sound Vitrains RfD 47.

• 2 weeks later...

The layout improvement work started in earnest today, starting with ripping out the old water from the lake. This was made from toilet paper glued down with PVA, crumpled up to represent ripples, painted shades of blue, and painted over with artist's gloss medium. It'll be replaced by AK Interactive's clear water effects applied over different shades of grey.

IMG-20230121-WA0000.jpeg.2e587ee653a10049548732381bf8b8a4.jpeg

20230120_124819.jpg.81ac77a3426e9f7ad30f94ba00b5dcf5.jpg

20230120_222012.jpg.04df074df70e3c1564e099a65e85ff69.jpg

I then proceeded to strip most of the scenics from the land, mainly the bushes, and added more sculptamold to tidy up what the bushes was hiding.

20230122_190159.jpg.49aa672ccd525aec0296ba7f6ad9bb2e.jpg

This will be mostly replaced by long grasses of pale greens and yellows to replicate what's at the actual location. 

• Like 6

• CazRail changed the title to The Amlwch Branch in 'OO' | Reviving after a 3-year hiatus!

Done a little more scenery work this evening...20230124_211108.jpg.184a5895b725db0f703283e6c923fb90.jpg

20230124_211317.jpg.643e2bf4680044d9b7c629e9a77d2970.jpg

Getting in a nice mix of colour, the new water will help tone down the overall look.

What Welsh layout would be complete without daffodils, eh?!

Static grass is WWS, buddleiah/bramble/daffodils by Tasima.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Nice to see this back Caz!

Still a favourite prototype, and I always enjoy looking at the line from the Dingle/path.

Thanks! Got a bit of work to do to get it back to a good standard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Work is still happening on the layout! It's slow progress, but it's getting there. 

The whole layout might not appear at the show due to possible space constraints at the venue, but I'm hoping it will. 

20230209_182858.jpg.dcaf292615c42f806bcd146c2cab645b.jpg

20230207_205655.jpg.cd95d1962edb804b7ffa6ac548f2429a.jpg

• Like 7

• CazRail changed the title to The Amlwch Branch in 'OO' | Scenic Overhaul...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on the layout, I've continued the scenics. 

20230220_175209.jpg.e9338421cadafe8ddf868849de03115f.jpgI also started the process of adding long grass along the lake shore.

20230220_175224.jpg.7bc6e595dd90033f8786872fa2f76e8e.jpg

I'm hoping this week Ill hopefully get a chance to get some timber to complete the legs so the entire layout, including the staging boards, can be put together as one.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've now decided to pull the layout from the show later this month, as I'm just not happy with it, and have no desire to work on it anymore. Unfortunately the work I've done on it up to now has been for nothing, and as far as I can see for now this layout will be scrapped. 

Thanks for following, hopefully I'll have something else to show soon.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• CazRail changed the title to The Amlwch Branch in 'OO'
  • RMweb Gold

Does seem a shame to scrap it, given how much work has gone into it, im sure someone would take it on as a project? 

if not, why not just sit on it for a while if you feel your mojo has gone awol, revisit it with a clearer frame of mind

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 07/03/2023 at 20:19, big jim said:

Does seem a shame to scrap it, given how much work has gone into it, im sure someone would take it on as a project? 

if not, why not just sit on it for a while if you feel your mojo has gone awol, revisit it with a clearer frame of mind

Thanks for the kind words Jim.

There definitely are parts of the layout I'm proud of, the concrete and lattice bridges being two, and this view...

20230307_160201.jpg.f3a6181b4477af7bc6a20fd322c9a7b4.jpg

...which I think captures some of the line's character. 

But looking at the bigger picture, it's not ideal. Whilst I like the idea of such a simple layout, being single line and no stations, signal box, points or signalling, it puts a lot of the attention on the scenics as the train runs through it(which is the idea). Ive tried to include as much interest as possible(such as two different bridges, a user worked crossing, signage, culvert etc) without putting too much in. My scenic skills aren't what they could be, and it felt rushed in a lot of areas.

I might well look to pass the layout on, which would leave me with a blank canvas to work on a new and fresh project sometime in the future.

As you said, now is the time to sit on it, and revisit when the time is right, then decide.

Many thanks 

Caz

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I can only echo Jim's kind words, It would be such a shame to see this layout scrapped as I was going through my dvd collection the other day I came across a railfreight today (1980/90's)  dvd covering North Wales in particular the Amlwch branch.

I would be tempted to do something similar to your project perhaps in the future. 

Cheers 

Colin 

29 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

I can only echo Jim's kind words, It would be such a shame to see this layout scrapped as I was going through my dvd collection the other day I came across a railfreight today (1980/90's)  dvd covering North Wales in particular the Amlwch branch.

I would be tempted to do something similar to your project perhaps in the future. 

Cheers 

Colin 

Hi Colin,

Without taking the thread off course (sorry Caz) which dvd would that be? I'm local to this line so any footage of operations are of great interest to me.

Matt

• 7 months later...

A little bit of speculative layout planning this afternoon, whilst I get over another dose of Covid, has led me to re-visit the idea of an Amlwch branch based layout. Looking through the book 'Anglesey Branch Lines' by W. G. Rear, and a DVD that I recently bought has inspired me to look at Amlwch station.

A little session on AnyRail resulted in this track plan...

Amlwch.png.515483202af86832abc547012c32f110.png

I've worked out, that for a decent representation, I'd need a total board area of 4.5m x 0.5m minus fiddle yard, which isn't so bad. The fiddle yard board would only need to be about a meter, as the layout would only handle small trains regardless. I'd be looking at using laser-cut baseboards for this.

I'd be basing the layout from 1960 to 1964, so would have a mix of Ivatt tanks on push-pull and freight and various DMU types. And of course, Rule 1 will also apply, so an EWS 37 might just appear.

Modelling it nearer it's closure means I can model it a little bit run down, things like track bacoming overgrown, near-desserted goods yard etc.

• Like 4

• CazRail changed the title to Amlwch Station