best Bachmann 37/0?

swiftbeam

I've just tried to ring Shawplan on the number on their website, and they are not taking phone calls according to the message. So why put the number on the site?

... A oneman business that goes to exhibitions .....   If you think you can do better , there's an opportunity, or get up and go out to the same exhibition.

The phone number is in use sometimes but recently it's been a recorded message. It is just one chap (Brian)  running it and the best way is to contact him is via e-mail. He definitely reads them and will get back to you when he can. 

As mentioned, he mainly trades at exhibitions but will do mail order. His etches and resin casts (37 nose ends) are the best available. Doing a google image search will usually find what you're looking for as loads of members on here have done projects with Shawplan parts.

• RMweb Premium

I've found the best way to speak to Brian at Shawplan by 'phone is on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Mondays and Fridays he's going and from weekend exhibitions. Excellent bits and bobs so well worth persevering.

As to the various Bachmann 37s, I was almost tempted by 32-781 but was ultimately put off by two for me very noticeable errors, namely the "gouge" below the cantrail grills and the extended nose which creates a large gap behind the sandbox fillers on the corners of the nose. It's the latter more than anything that stands out and unfortunately all Bachmann's current tooling options for skirted locos are the same. So in the end I went for the non-skirted (and without headboard clips) 32-788 (37284), which can be renumbered to numerous classmates that were early refurbishments and so retained their radiator frost grills. Ok it has yellow head code panels rather than dominoes but Rule 1 says I can run it as late 70s, very early 80s.

So whichever model you decide to use as a base, you'll have some things to correct depending how perfect you're looking to be.

... A oneman business that goes to exhibitions .....   If you think you can do better , there's an opportunity, or get up and go out to the same exhibition.

That Sir is an OUTRAGEOUS reply !!!

If you only knew who I was and what business I'm in, you'd NEVER say that !!!!

Yet another 'standard issue' forum arrogant assumption, and reply.

Edited by swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

Brian at Shawplan/extreme etching is one of the nicest gentlemen in this business. If tracking down his products takes a bit of effort then please believe me it is time well spent.

So happy to advise on what you need from his product list when I get back to base on Wednesday if you are not sorted by then.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So suggest you might consider...

EEWP4001 - works plates

EEDP37-00 - Fan grille and fan

EEDP37-50-55 - Hand brake levers

DP45-09LW - lamp brackets

Then its a question of how far you want to go - eg windscreens etc

Kind regards

Phil