RMweb

Dogs - Ice cubes ?

Penlan

In my local (RBL Club) a number of dogs who visit, seem very happy to have ice cubes given to them, sometimes served as a bowl of ice-cubes.

It's not something I can associate with, to me ice-cubes are cold, set the nerves on edge, but the dogs seem to like them.

Is there a reason why dogs like ice-cubes?

• RMweb Gold

In my local (RBL Club) a number of dogs who visit, seem very happy to have ice cubes given to them, sometimes served as a bowl of ice-cubes.

It's not something I can associate with, to me ice-cubes are cold, set the nerves on edge, but the dogs seem to like them.

Is there a reason why dogs like ice-cubes?

My dog seems to like them. We sometimes chuck a few in his water if it is really warm. If we are defrosting the freezer he tries to steal the lumps of ice falling out. We try to discourage this.

...Is there a reason why dogs like ice-cubes?

Domesticated dogs are really wolves, cunningly disguised by the human modifications to their bodywork and dimensions; and have poor cooling systems because the wolf didn't need much cooling chasing about on the tundra in the glaciation phase. So anything to help them keep cool in the present torrid conditions is presumably welcome? They also appear to like beer, but I think that's more about fitting into the social scene down the old rub-a-dub.

• RMweb Gold

Domesticated dogs are really wolves, cunningly disguised by the human modifications to their bodywork and dimensions; and have poor cooling systems because the wolf didn't need much cooling chasing about on the tundra in the glaciation phase. So anything to help them keep cool in the present torrid conditions is presumably welcome? They also appear to like beer, but I think that's more about fitting into the social scene down the old rub-a-dub.

Why not cut out the middle man and freeze the dog?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for your replies, I'm minded of this photo., that's been around awhile....

attachicon.gifToilet.jpg

Just in case you want a modelling application, it would seem that a spaniel pups digestive tract can strip acrylic paint quite well. My son used to like wargaming and I had spent a couple of days painting a Celtic warband. I had left them on the kitchen table and the dog (see avatar) jumped up and ate them. They all appeared eventually. The dog was unharmed and learned not to leap onto the table.

Just in case you want a modelling application, it would seem that a spaniel pups digestive tract can strip acrylic paint quite well. My son used to like wargaming and I had spent a couple of days painting a Celtic warband. I had left them on the kitchen table and the dog (see avatar) jumped up and ate them. They all appeared eventually. The dog was unharmed and learned not to leap onto the table.

And I thought that the fins on a'59 Cadillac would be "uncomfortable" :O.

• Like 1

Why not cut out the middle man and freeze the dog?

"Come round here and say that.....".

post-6979-0-39881300-1505552670.jpg

Skye, who is no longer with us, R.I.P.

PS - The blue edging is bad editing, not after effects from ice-cubes.

Edited by Penlan

Our Westie is fed on raw dog food which comes frozen. One brand comes as one-inch cubes and she prefers those frozen, even in winter. I think it's more the crunch than the cooling, our house not being the warmest. She also eats whole sardines, raw and straight from the freezer.

• RMweb Premium

Our Westie is fed on raw dog food which comes frozen...............She also eats whole sardines, raw and straight from the freezer.

Our lurcher is also on the bones and raw food diet.  I hadn't thought of frozen sardines as an addition to her rather diet, so i bought some yesterday at Aldi's.  They're proving very popular, straight out of the freezer.  Thanks for the tip!

DT