Austerity 2-8-0

paulprice

No. The LNER bought 200 but the rest that infested the system were acquired by BR. Of course during the war many saw service on the LMS, but these would have been lettered and numbered as MoS locos. Both the 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 classes were involved in the 1948 exchange trials and certainly worked the Totton-Brent coal trains.

HTH

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

No. The LNER bought 200 but the rest that infested the system were acquired by BR. Of course during the war many saw service on the LMS, but these would have been lettered and numbered as MoS locos. Both the 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 classes were involved in the 1948 exchange trials and certainly worked the Totton-Brent coal trains.

HTH

Chaz

Were the BR-bought ones laid up until then or were they still being operated by MoS?

HTH

Chaz

Infested? LOL, I'll have you know they were the backbone of freight in the Eastern counties, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire etc. Certainly from their inception.

Infested? LOL, I'll have you know they were the backbone of freight in the Eastern counties, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire etc. Certainly from their inception.

Yes, you are quite right. I had my tongue in cheek when I chose the word. In fact until the magnificent 9Fs arrived they were a constant presence on the ECML. Of course the Americans would have built both classes as 2-8-2s, they certainly considered the 2-8-0 to be an obsolete design by the forties.

Chaz

I guess I better do some research on the MOS livery, as I really want to add one of these locomotives to the fleet, but I think I have too many LNER locomotives already :)

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. It's not possible to have too many LNER locomotives.  :nono:

• Like 1

Were the BR-bought ones laid up until then or were they still being operated by MoS?

I have checked a bit more thoroughly in "The Book of the WDs" by Richard Derry. The LNER initially bought 200 of them, and then took a further 210 which were considered on loan. Many others were stored on the SR and the GWR as they came back. The LMS didn't take any as they preferred, understandably, to get the Stanier 8Fs that had been sent abroad. Eventually BR inherited 733 of the 2-8-0 class by 1950/51. 

I guess I better do some research on the MOS livery, as I really want to add one of these locomotives to the fleet, but I think I have too many LNER locomotives already :)

Black with numbers in the 77xxx or 70xxx series. Some pictures I have seen show the tender with no insignia, others had the "W ^ D" (with the centre symbol the classic WD arrow) very small or a more "usual" size in the middle of the tender side plates. And totally filthy. 

By the way they entered service in 1943 and started to be shipped across The Channel in Oct. 1944. They started to come back in Oct. 1945.

HTH

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Would there still have been some locos on mainland Europe, and perhaps in other theatres, such as the Middle East, until they were displaced by 'native' stock?

The Dutch had quite a few but most didn't last long - the last one was withdrawn in Jan 1958. Unfortunately the allocation histories in "The Book of the WDs" only records their time overseas as "WD" so not possible to see where any machine went from that source. Some of the Stanier 8Fs went to Turkey, Greece and (I think) Egypt but whether any WDs went to those countries I don't know.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

For the record, several Stanier 8Fs also worked in Italy, as well as Iran, Persia and Israel.

The WDs were a good work horse but not liable to provoke favourable comment from crews. The were strong, sure-footed and free steaming, but the lack of any reciprocating balance made speeds above 25 mph increasingly uncomfortable. In BR days, many were allocated to the former L&YR routes, where they displaced the Fowler Austin Sevens.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info! It is kind of staggering that the only one that survived was an SJ example, considering how many worked in the UK.

Had any turned up at Woodham's in Barry, there may have been a chance, but in the event nobody though highly enough of them at the end of BR steam to save one.  This is a shame, because for all their faults and roughness they were a very good horse when it came to unfitted 25mph mineral trains.  But I remember them as clouds of steam with a clank in the middle, while our local competition, 28xx/2884s, seemed to run with much less noise and fuss; of course, some of those did make it to Woodham's!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We didn't get many on the LMR lines around Birmingham. Those which turned up were visitors from the North-west or from the Eastern region. Bescot was the preserve of Super Ds and 8Fs, Saltley had 8Fs and 9Fs.

On the GWR lines they were a bit more common, the WR having some, but they were severely speed restricted, a blanket 40MPH with lower speeds on some routes, and not allowed on Class C or D trains. There are pictures of them in the Leamington area on iron ore trains from Banbury in WD days, interestingly one with two sets of lamp irons for standard and GWR lamps.

The Dutch had quite a few but most didn't last long - the last one was withdrawn in Jan 1958. Unfortunately the allocation histories in "The Book of the WDs" only records their time overseas as "WD" so not possible to see where any machine went from that source. Some of the Stanier 8Fs went to Turkey, Greece and (I think) Egypt but whether any WDs went to those countries I don't know.

Chaz

Twelve locos went to the Kowloon-Canton railway in 1947 with the last withdrawn in 1963. 184 engines were bought by Holland (and 50 2-10-0s) but they went fairly quickly with 32 scrapped as early as 1949.  Two of these Dutch engines were later sold to Sweden. 4 locos were scrapped whilst still belonging to WD.

Chaz

I'm pretty sure only WD 2-10-0's went to Greece and a few of them are still there. Turkey definitely didn't have any WD's only 8F's and S160's.  IIRC Rowledge's 3 volume set on W.D. locos has fairly detailed listings of where most of the locos went. Vol 1 was the ROD's, Vol 2 the 8F's and Vol 3 the WD 2-8-0's & 2-10-0's.  Unfortunately I can't check my copies for you at the moment. Sorry.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

Would there still have been some locos on mainland Europe, and perhaps in other theatres, such as the Middle East, until they were displaced by 'native' stock?

In addition to those works already mentioned, this comprehensive book covers both UK and US war locomotives and their subsequent allocation and service: http://www.tourretpublishing.com/AlliedMilitaryLocomotivesOfWW2.htm