Handrail Jig?

A little while back in a magazine I remember seeing a handrail jig which was basically an etched sheet with a matrix of holes which you matched up to the required handrail length. Does any bright spark know whose product this is? I've got a load of diesel handrails to make in the upcoming weeks and fancy getting hold of one of these at York show if possible.

Thanks.

Note he does a rectangular one as well as the one shown above that caters for longer handrails. I have one of each. My only criticism is that the etched hole size is more suited to a thicker handrail than I would use in lots of situations. Another one would be good with small holes.

• 9 months later...

Instead of starting a new topic, I'm going through the process of updating a few Lima OO locos with proper handrails, and was wondering what wire I should use, or rather what wire you, the experts, use for making up your handrails?

Thanks

Brass - depends on scale and the "hand rail" ... and for me how much battering it is likely to get. Something that is likely to be handled a lot on/off the track will get a thicker wire.

Typical 0.3-0.5 for 4mm 0.5-0.8 for 7mm - simply scale the actual size, and then I think it looks a bit heavy so reduce it.

Gibson are drilled .45mm, and nickel wire is also available from Eileens Emporium and others, along with straight brass, the Gibson heights are not in his list, but are short , medium and long, (mainly for GWR boiler sides), the short size suit most Diesel uses.

Stephen.

The Handrail knob sizes seem to be 1.2 short, 3mm long, and one between, but I have no sample to measure the middle size, and I have to assume the others I have to hand are Gibson, as they are fine sized and drilled .45mm

If you want you own bending jig, and have access to a pillar drill, or mill, the take piece of 1/8th brass plate, and drill two lines of .5mm holes on parallel with the edge, and one at an angle to connect the smallest expected size to the largest in .25mm steps, or however many you want. This is easy in a mill, it will need careful drilling in a pillar drill to get spacing right, but extreme accuracy is not needed, just repeatability in bending.

There is secret to the line of holes parallel to the edge they are drilled at about 4/5 degrees off vertical, angle inwards to the bottom. The brass plate edge is then sanded on a belt sander till the holes are half through, like a comb edge.(or use a miller or a file!!!)

To use take the wire and bend it over the edge, the extra degrees will ensure a right angle or a touch more, the wire is then turned and dropped though the hole matching the length required and the wire bent over the edge again, and pulled of the plate, and can then be tweaked true.

Each wire bent in this manner will be exactly the same length. The jig is a jewellery and watchmakers tool to ensure consistent bent wires.

In bigger sized versions the holes are connected by a groove, made in a milling machine to guide the wire, but it works with small wire without. the grooves.

Stephen.

I believe Alan Gibson hand rail knobs are drilled for 0.45mm, there was a guide picture floating around somewhere showing default sizes..

Gibson handrail sizes are 1.5mm short, 2mm medium, and 2.5mm long size for reference.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

The Handrail knob sizes seem to be 1.2 short, 3mm long, and one between, but I have no sample to measure the middle size, and I have to assume the others I have to hand are Gibson, as they are fine sized and drilled .45mm

If you want you own bending jig, and have access to a pillar drill, or mill, the take piece of 1/8th brass plate, and drill two lines of .5mm holes on parallel with the edge, and one at an angle to connect the smallest expected size to the largest in .25mm steps, or however many you want. This is easy in a mill, it will need careful drilling in a pillar drill to get spacing right, but extreme accuracy is not needed, just repeatability in bending.

There is secret to the line of holes parallel to the edge they are drilled at about 4/5 degrees off vertical, angle inwards to the bottom. The brass plate edge is then sanded on a belt sander till the holes are half through, like a comb edge.(or use a miller or a file!!!)

To use take the wire and bend it over the edge, the extra degrees will ensure a right angle or a touch more, the wire is then turned and dropped though the hole matching the length required and the wire bent over the edge again, and pulled of the plate, and can then be tweaked true.

Each wire bent in this manner will be exactly the same length. The jig is a jewellery and watchmakers tool to ensure consistent bent wires.

In bigger sized versions the holes are connected by a groove, made in a milling machine to guide the wire, but it works with small wire without. the grooves.

Stephen.

Hi

Bill Bedford used to supply an etched handrail bending jig I think I got mine from here

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/ListallProducts.php?param=1&pTXID=0

Part numbers E017/4 Small and E019/4 large.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Bill Bedford used to supply an etched handrail bending jig I think I got mine from here

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/ListallProducts.php?param=1&pTXID=0

Part numbers E017/4 Small and E019/4 large.

Cheers

Paul

Supplied via Eileens now, see the 3rd post in the topic..

I quite like the method Bertiedog mentions as you'd get a decent thickness of material. The two problems I found with Bill's was that the holes were etched a bit too big and that it isn't thick enough to hold the first bend squarely.

• RMweb Premium

That would be the one shown in post #4 wouldn't it? ;)

(note to self: must stop using that invisible ink)

Hi

Doh.

I must have viewed this thread previously and forgotten then later thought oh Bill Bedford does one of those.

Note to self try looking up the thread again first before posting.

Cheers

Paul

Archived