Pempoul Backscene

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

I'm trying to find out what material Gordon used for his backscene on Pempoul. From memory it's some sort of fabric which was hung from a rail like curtains. The material was thicker though than curtains - almost the sort of stuff used for blinds.

The reason is that we're looking for something that can follow a curved (in plan) route with radii down to 9" / 225mm. It needs to take being painted without the paint flaking off when the backscene is rolled up or handled.

Any ideas on materials, where to get them from and costs?

Thanks for any help.

• RMweb Premium

I've had the following reply direct from Gordon and include it here if anyone else is interested.

"The material is vinyl sheet as used for roller blinds and I purchased mine from a local blind suplier/manufacturer. It was quite expensive as it comes about a metre wide and I had to buy about 8 metres running length - about £75 if my memory serves me right about 10 years ago.

I tried various paints and both artist's oils and acrylics took to the material - I de-greased it first with lighter fuel - but, oils take forever to dry so I used acrylics.

The material is white in colour and I left it the basic colour for the sky.

I hope this is of help.

Regards Gordon Gravett"

Thanks to Mark Pelham of the Crawley MRS for putting Gordon in touch.

• RMweb Gold

I've had the following reply direct from Gordon and include it here if anyone else is interested.

"The material is vinyl sheet as used for roller blinds and I purchased mine from a local blind suplier/manufacturer. It was quite expensive as it comes about a metre wide and I had to buy about 8 metres running length - about £75 if my memory serves me right about 10 years ago.

I tried various paints and both artist's oils and acrylics took to the material - I de-greased it first with lighter fuel - but, oils take forever to dry so I used acrylics.

The material is white in colour and I left it the basic colour for the sky.

I hope this is of help.

Regards Gordon Gravett"

Thanks to Mark Pelham of the Crawley MRS for putting Gordon in touch.

What Gordon didn't say is how much skill was involved to paint it.His backscene is probably one of the best I've ever seen on a layout.Top drawer.

• RMweb Premium

Rob

One of the three building the layout this will be for is a professional artist and illustrator. Just the 'quick sketches' he knocks up surpass anything I've ever managed to draw! The only downside is that the backscene could be up to 34' long! (I may suggest using Dulux and a roller ;) )

Archived