Washes

sb67

Mostly make my own. A mix of acrylics, usually thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinners. Tend to keep a brownish one and a greyish one. The mix will vary for each time I mix them. However, the enamel washes from AK Interactive are worth looking at.

Some companies make washes to a specific formulation that is thicker than watered paint (similar consistency to washing up liquid). These are designed to flow into crevices on the model to accentuate shading. They are very popular for wargames miniatures but somewhat less so for railway modelling.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between making your own wash using diluted paint or buying ready made washes.

Just wondered.

Steve.

A wash is a fluid created with a higher ratio of carrier to pigment than normal paint, so there is no difference in that sense. You are able to create your own  preferreed shades and concentraions by doing it yourself, but the ready made products will give you convenience and consistency. Every modeller will have their own views and preferences.

I use Humbrol enamel diluted with ordinary white spirit. A mix of Matt Black and Matt Leather will time down paintwork and show as dirt and grime in nooks and crannies. Any of the wash on unwanted areas can easily be removed with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit.

John

post-18858-0-61111700-1506600444_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-66661400-1506600574_thumb.jpeg

post-18858-0-92185100-1506600756_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks guys, I didn't think about the fact you can mix the shades and colours you want and then make your own wash, saves me buying a load of products. I might give some of the oil and grease washes on the market a go though. 

Steve.

Agrax Earthshade is the replacement colour but it is not the same unfortunately. It is a much redder, earthier shade. Devlan Mud had notes of green and black in it.

The closest I have found as a replacement is Army Painter Strong Tone Quickshade.