Trainspotting at Little Benton Sidings, Newcastle.

rowanj

My DJH A8 heads back to Bishop Auckland with a special , full of happy supporters following theit teams victory at Ashington in the FA Amateur Cup. I suspect they would go on to win it at Wembley a few months later, as often happened in those days.  Well- it makes a change from justifying the A8 on a Race Special, which is my normal excuse, This one cane to me on hearing of the death of one of my heroes, Bobby Charlton, who was born in Ashington. Bishop Auckland were very helpful to Man Utd after Munich, loaning 2 of their great players to help out. The clubs remain close- United paid for floodlights at their ground a few years ago and often send a team up tp play friendlies to raise much-needed cash. Nice to see in this commercially-driven age,

IMG_20231023_144738.jpg.bd5d47ebfe5c66e1e2ad71c2853e1db4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good Morning John.

The Charlton brothers, legends both sadly missed. I believe there is a surviving brother. You know my football allegiances are rooted here in the Midlands. I remember though, watching the  1968 European Cup Final, at my mates house, a life long United fan. I was as pleased as he, when they won. Bobby Charlton our best sporting ambassador. RI P.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I have been doing some tidying up in the loft, and thought it was time to give the T1 a run. Tyne Dock has sent it on a ttrain of 16T minerals, for some reason. The kit is from Little Engines, and went together really well, other than the usual fight I alwasys seem to have with leading bogies and curves on ex-NER locos. I;m afraid in this case I had tp resort to underscale wheels,

IMG_20231025_092930.jpg.e39324c66ef63890eca4ab68ad3e3622.jpg

Held at the signals is a Heaton K3. I was a bit shocked to discover I had 5 of them, most obtained when GBL brought out the model with the magazine. All are a bit different., This one has the early GS tender with the flared top, another has a 3500 gallon tender, another the 4200 gallon, and another an ex-NER one, The final one, which really shouldnt be working at Little Benton, is an early GN version with RH drive and a GN tender. This was a conversion based on one desribed by Tony Wright. Most run on modified early Bachmann V1/3 chassis, as they have the correct sized drivers. The view from the bridge shows the K3 ready to go into the sidings,passing the G5 waiting patiently for me to build its; push-pull sets, and a J77 .just back from a service, parked up after having been given a good run roumd the layout.

IMG_20231025_093113.jpg.fabc6b077515db6a9ff2347b7ee29338.jpg

• Like 12

Here are a couple more oddeties. The K4 is probably on a SO Works excursion from Glasgow to Whitley Bay, and was sitting doing nothing at Eastfield.the loco is a right old cut and shut, on a Dave Alexander chassis. I still have one of the 5 etches I bought from him for, if I remember correctly, £1 each at a Newcastle MRS Show.

IMG_20231028_114750.jpg.bff0c1232186f0b6fb9517fcaf9037f2.jpg

I like a short freight, so gave my 3D Hardys Hobbies Hudswell Clark a run out. These kits seem to have disappeared from the market, which is a shame, They run on an Electrotren chassis, These chassis;s are a bit generic, but the ones I have are super little runners, and they used to be as cheap as chips. But like the chips themselves, they became expensive and are not as easy to get these days, so that may be why the body kit production stopped. Who knows?

IMG_20231028_120111.jpg.48e51552cd828f3a45e3311e4f4cac1d.jpg

• Like 12

The sidings at Little Benton were not Exchange sidings, though they occasionally act as such. Lambton No 5 has backed onto a LOCO coal rake ready to head for Weetslade. All fiction, of course. 

The real loco was an early acquisition for the NYMR, but is currently in the queue for the time and money to get it back into steam. Paul Sterling produced the 3D kit which I think is still available, with some of the funds going towards the prototype. It is on a Bachman 56xx xhassis, but I confess the adaptation is pretty brutal, and I would be looking for a Comet etch if I was doing this again, But it does produce a nice and unusual model.

IMG_20231101_162903.jpg.d707b7e2fc070ddedac9651bc3a4c6a1.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2023 at 14:43, rowanj said:

Here are a couple more oddeties. The K4 is probably on a SO Works excursion from Glasgow to Whitley Bay, and was sitting doing nothing at Eastfield.the loco is a right old cut and shut, on a Dave Alexander chassis. I still have one of the 5 etches I bought from him for, if I remember correctly, £1 each at a Newcastle MRS Show.

IMG_20231028_114750.jpg.bff0c1232186f0b6fb9517fcaf9037f2.jpg

Hi John

You say the K4 is a cut and shut, I have recently purchased a K3 and a B12 body to have a bash at making a K4.  Can you enlighten me how yours was done please?

42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

You say the K4 is a cut and shut, I have recently purchased a K3 and a B12 body to have a bash at making a K4.  Can you enlighten me how yours was done please?

Hi Clive. I;ll need to re- enlighten myself,!  The boiler is from an old tender-drive B17, and this smaller diameter does make a big visual difference. The cab and footplate were from the GBL K3. The tender is cut-down GBL with a dummy internal chassis, Originally, I ran it on a Bachmann K3 chassis which made the wheels, underscale for a K3 but OK for a K4, look alright, though the wheelbase is wrong. It;s now on a Dave Alexander etch.I got the fimensions from my LNER drawings  book by Ian Beattie.

John

Edited by rowanj
  • Informative/Useful 1

You need a few J27's for a model of Tyneside/SE Northumberland in BR Steam days, I have three kits and here they all are. The pair on trains are from Dave Alexander, one the original kit with the cast boiler, and then the later one with the etched brass version. The light engine is NUCast, with the extended smokebox and wrap around handrails this loco kept even after losing its superheater. I remember Dave being unusually caustic, for him, about the shape of the boiler/firebox on the NuCast kit.

IMG_20231101_163934.jpg.932a3c8c7697133c70f9a291781a3a9e.jpg

IMG_20231101_164454.jpg.a7cb37c692a253c411d2206df74320cd.jpg

Not seen here, are a further 3 from Oxford Rail. They must be breeding in the loft, as I thought I only had 2. Refreshing the litte grey cells reminded me that I got 2 on thir original release, then picked up a 3rd when Bure Valley  Models had a sale, I think all 3 cost less than £300- amazing for the quality of the model, in my opinion.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rowanj said:

Hi Clive. I;ll need to re- enlighten myself,!  The boiler is from an old tender-drive B17, and this smaller diameter does make a big visual difference. The cab and footplate were from the GBL K3. The tender is cut-down GBL with a dummy internal chassis, Originally, I ran it on a Bachmann K3 chassis which made the wheels, underscale for a K3 but OK for a K4, look alright, though the wheelbase is wrong. It;s now on a Dave Alexander etch.I got the fimensions from my LNER drawings  book by Ian Beattie.

John

Hi John

I am confused I am using the drawings from Gresley Locomotives by Brian Haresnape Which has the LNER diagrams in it and both the K4 and K3 have the same wheel base.

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

I am confused I am using the drawings from Gresley Locomotives by Brian Haresnape Which has the LNER diagrams in it and both the K4 and K3 have the same wheel base.

You are right to be confused, as I was wrong. I was posting from memory... It was the frames which were extended, but the wheelebase was the same across the K series. Sorry.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

It's a good while since I did the K4, so I brought it down to have a better look at it, The main fault when checking against the drawing  is the K3 cab, which has a "smoother" curve at footplate level and should really be attempted to get the overal flow of the loco correct. I actuall still have a couple of GBL bodies in the spares box, so might just have a go. However, I suspect it might be easier to scratch build new cab sides and that part of the footplate. Probably too much effort for a loco which shouldnt really apppear on my layout, 

I also  have the K1/1 which I put together at the same time, so have had a look at that, too. It sits too high on its; K3 chassis and my work on the cylinder block was awful, so it too will enter works.

• Like 5

Totally agree Manna, or put photos of your stuff on the web..faults not seen on the workbench suddenly leap out at you. Then of course there is putting a model that ran sweetly, on the track to give it a long overdue run. Then …gear strips as happened to me recently when I was about to sell my N2 Airfix body comet chassis creation. It’s currently in a storage box awaiting our house move. On my repair list…

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

K1/1 looking a bit better. The body has been lowered to the correct height, and the cylinder block given an overlay, using my Isinglass drawing to get the dimensions. I had a pair of draincocks staring at me, so fitted them. The train must be an excursion heading back to Glasgow- The horsebox suggests a trip to Gosforth Park, possibly for the June Northumberland Plate ,- "The Pitman's Derby"- meeting.

IMG_20231103_140749.jpg.d77f234122d1f53b54dc015c8a257764.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 9

Although there is still a bit more to do, the push-pull driving trailer is ready for a road -test. This is a one-off Dia 320, which transferred to Blyth after a couple of years on the NBR St Coombs Branch, It has a few unusual features = Fox Bogies and a drivers window only on the LH side. The kit is from Isinglass, produced after a helpul exchange of e.mails. There are very few photos readily available of this coach, nor, indeed, any others of the driving trailers used on the Monkseaton-Blyth trains - photographers naturally concentrating on the G5 at the other end - and we could really do with a good picture of the RH side to check exactly where the sole door was located.

IMG_20231106_184959.jpg

IMG_20231106_185037.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 11

IMG_20231109_171954.jpg.955d901509e8a70a7bdd07e90b2d5301.jpg

The completed driving trailer heads towards Newcastle. I'll build an 8-compt second to go behind it, but in the meantime, passengers have to deal with this leaning Kirk.

IMG_20231109_172253_1.jpg.b18ef93999d376903dd47429fb97084f.jpg

On the bench, though still in the box, is a D&S ex-NER Dia 162 driving trailer, which need a couple of modifications to represent the one in the photo.The kit has porthole windows and a window in the guards side which need tackling, Could be tricky.

img005a.jpg.a0ef240df8387cb4a1713410482d4270.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Summer Saturdays, there was a York-Glasgow train, presumably to cater for the holiday traffic, and was a York turn, usually hauled by an A1. The return working was an Edinburgh-York parcels. I seem to have got this turned round, as Flamboyant heads North, rather than South. Hey ho. 

IMG_20231118_101310.jpg.cc857dea7507944d234e8a7769c3e033.jpg

I though I may as well post the latest on the push-pull saga here, as I have been giving the D&S kit a run round bends and through points. I.ve reached the detailing stage, if only I could identify what the detais are. Those poor souls in the middle coach must think they are in the Spanish City already, given the lean. I have an Isinglass replacement to build to replace that Kirk one, which will be repaired and put into another rake under construction.

IMG_20231118_101506.jpg.fbe1508fb18c1b1eb846bd3ba0d72ef7.jpg

• Like 9

I don;t know how popular the Hornby K1 and Q6 models were/are in commercial terms, but it was certainly possible to pick them up in certain "liveries" for relatively little after the initial burst. This K1 was abou t£90, if I recall, new and boxed, and perhaps was less "wanted" by having "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tender. So far, all I have done is remove that, and fit a late crest decal, and hey presto, I have a suitable loco for Little Benton without renumbering, I got a similar deal on an LNER livery Q6, and then an Oxford Rail J27. These deals don't seem to happen with Bachmann, but another G5 wouldnt come amiss.

The K1 heads north on meat and fish empties, which will probably have a few dropped off en route at Morpeth and Chathill  before the train gets to Berwick. then the loco, which is far too shiny, will visit the workbench for a dusting down The wagons are Parkside and ex-Airfix kits,. The Heaton J39, 64701, in the headshunt is ex-GBL on the spilit chassis Bachmann.It is one of the very few Heaton had with the smaller GS 3500 tender, which is a cut- down GBL running on a dummy plasticard internal chassis.

IMG_20231119_093042.jpg.7d171cba445d7d594b5179e8c15c71a1.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

After taking the meat and fish empties back to Berwick, pristine 62006, now in more typical condition- workstained but not filthy- has a SO Alnwick-Newcastle extra, The loco had a spell at Alnmouth, and is almost certainly running in place of an unobtainable Class 101, The train is a mix of Hornby , some donors with brass overlays.

IMG_20231130_085730.jpg.f5b1396c74059984d57cedbc05972413.jpg

• Like 10

The Push-Pull on test, which I am pleased to say, it passed, at least as far as running is concerned. The consist is , from the front, D&S ex-NER Dia 162 Brake Composire Driving Trailer, Lner Dia 54 8- compt 2nd, and ex=LNER Dia 320 Driving trailer Brake 2nd.

IMG_20231130_150413.jpg.7e42bcd6974aa73579a5167292ecb3ca.jpg

To give it a long overdue run, the North Tyneside EMU Parcels is returning the long way round to South Gosforth Sheds. These ex-LNER sheds are now being re-developed yet again to house the new Metro trains, currently on test, and due to be introduced next year (assuming NEXUS can get enough drivers- the latest excuse for poor servce on the system).

IMG_20231130_151240.jpg.c3e806f7a6d813ab70a896ed60e3eaa5.jpg

• Like 10

Brian (46256) might recognise this pair. 60019 has a relief to Newcastle made up of LMS stock, presumably all that was available at Craigentinny on a Summer Saturday, Heading home to Edinburgh is 64B's 60537, It looks in ex-works, so is almost certainly running home from a visit to Doncaster.

IMG_20231203_152718.jpg.15a1e8d5f585a96cc63aa37f5791bccd.jpg

Both these locos were obtained from 46256 when he was downsizing, but were appropriated from the postman by my wife and daughter to go towards Christmas and birthday presents. Though my daughter coughed up, I'm still waiting for Mrs rowanj to do likewise. I fear it will be a long wait.

SPARROW HAWK was at Gateshead, I had a set of etched plates, but the loco is otherwise as per the first China loco-drive issue, I did fit draincocks, which I think are cosmetically necessary and were in the spares box. Gateshead never seemed to have clean engines, so I dusted this down with powders, as much as anything to disguise the weird Hornby Green.

IMG_20231203_152918.jpg.75fa515f03f4211cfc6adf6f36e88a31.jpg

BACHELORS BUTTON only needed a vacuum pipe, though I did replace the rather too short pip in the tender with a piece of brass rod, moved slightly back., This allowed me to give a reduced gap between loco and tender, rather than thw 2 options provided by Bachmann, which either means the fireman needs a 10 foot long shovel, or the loco wont go round corners. I have great picture of 60537 heading through Manors on a Down train,

IMG_20231203_152739.jpg.b2011e063101eafadc75dcc6dcd5f478.jpg

IMG_20231203_153035.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 9

Hello John great to see them at work on an appropriate layout. I don’t think an A2 or A4 , ever visited Birmingham in British Railways days.
My Christmas present is in storage awaiting the house move…which is imminent … Mrs Santa had allowed me a sneak preview before wrapping applied, a Heljan HS4000 Kestrel. I know as out of place , in the Midlands as the two previously mentioned steam locos. I never saw it in operation , before it was sold to the Soviet Union.

You may also notice, the collection is starting to grow again. Will I ever learn! E2001 to follow, on pre order before the downsize. Saw the about to be released model, on the Heljan stand at Warley. I saw the real thing standing forlornly at Rugby about 1972. 

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Hello John great to see them at work on an appropriate layout. I don’t think an A2 or A4 , ever visited Birmingham in British Railways days.
My Christmas present is in storage awaiting the house move…which is imminent … Mrs Santa had allowed me a sneak preview before wrapping applied, a Heljan HS4000 Kestrel. I know as out of place , in the Midlands as the two previously mentioned steam locos. I never saw it in operation , before it was sold to the Soviet Union.

You may also notice, the collection is starting to grow again. Will I ever learn! E2001 to follow, on pre order before the downsize. Saw the about to be released model, on the Heljan stand at Warley. I saw the real thing standing forlornly at Rugby about 1972. 

I'd have thought the only chance of Kestrel getting to Brum would be if it had gone to a Depot Open Day on some occasion.

Like you, I never saw it, not for want of trying. Every time I managed to get to where I thought it was, it had gone somewhere else! The Heljan model is a cracker, one of their best IMHO - a great Christmas present.

John.

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough, I could just about justify having Kestrel  at Little Benton, as there are photos of her at Newcastle. I used to have a kit..Silver Fox?..running on an old Triang chassis - the one where the motor bogie hung on a sort of bracket. Long gone now.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 1