Trainspotting at Little Benton Sidings, Newcastle.

rowanj

18 hours ago, rowanj said:

Funnily enough, I could just about justify having Kestrel  at Little Benton, as there are photos of her at Newcastle. I used to have a kit..Silver Fox?..running on an old Triang chassis - the one where the motor bogie hung on a sort of bracket. Long gone now.

You could indeed as for two months or so she worked a daily diagram of two return trips from Kings Cross to Newcastle. So might well have got to Heaton sheds on those, maybe not so far as Little Benton. Most photos of her working are on those services.

Ironically the great bulk of her life was on the Mansfield (Clipstone) to Whitemoor coal runs, via Lincoln and Spalding. The photographic record on these is close to zero! There was also a few weeks on a Hull to London (York Way?) Freightliner service. My loco has changed headcodes to reflect these, 7J31 being the coal, and 4C70 the liner. Pending discovery of time travel, the best I'll do in the absence of a viewing!

IMG_0792RMcopy2.jpg

IMG_0794RMcopy2.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
Pictures made smaller!
  • Like 7

Tweedmouth got a few BR 78xxx locos in 1962, predominantly for use on the ex-North British branches along the Tweed Valley. i recently received the latest release of the Hornby model, and very nice it is too, renumbered to 78025, it has been rostered on a pick-up to Tyneside, which must have made a change from trundling a single BSK to Kelso and back. As there was a rake of empty cattle wagons ready to go to Alnmouth, the loco and crew were conveniently available, so off they went.

IMG_20231205_090823.jpg.775136e1ac193702bb03d86bcac1c709.jpg

My Little Benton world occasionally grants running powers to the NCB, 46256 might recognise his scratch-built body of RSH No 40, This was one of the 1950 builds, used for the miners' passenger trains on the Ashington Complex. Here the loco takes an ex-NER Clerestory to Walkergate Wagon work, presumably for some attention which was beyond the NCB shops.

IMG_20231205_091503.jpg.847dc535f59e463f395168893474af60.jpg

• Like 10

Hello John, on the subject of push pulls, the latest BRIll December edition has a photo of the Annesley  Dido workmens train. It has two ancient clerestory coaches one of which appears to my uninformed eyes, push pull fitted with driving end windows. The engine propelling it, is a N7 69691, again a type I’m not used to without googling the information. Just done so ,….ex GER type , as you and your other Eastern readers knew without checking unlike me! 

best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I came across this prototype photo during my build of a push-pull set, which shows an interesting mix of stock on a Special at Morpeth waiting to leave the Blyth and Tyne Platform. I can make up something similar, and have the rake pretending to be Special up from Darlington for reasons unknown. The rake is a mix of D&S and Kirk kits.

morprth.jpg.3a127c71d78a3b32c4a11fdfb9031ce0.jpg

IMG_20231209_135040.jpg.9cf9c9f1ba6c2046c0ccd2d24b0eca30.jpg

The loco is Bachmann 3MT re-numbered as 51A's 82027. I have a photo of this loco at Newcastle on a SO from Richmond. I never saw one on Tyneside, but they were often  around when we went spotting at Darlington,

IMG_20231209_135213.jpg.ebdabba93986348dc62bf2f949904fa3.jpg

The 65A J38 did get to Little Benton, and I have the photo to prove it,  It was been in Works to get the loco -tender height adjusted, The body started as a GBL J39, the chassis is a fairly modern Hornby, so the smaller wheels help the change from J39 to J38, The tender is a resin casting, probably from Graeme King. 

IMG_20231209_135224.jpg.743fee6c958a9b9bf83fca458ef6ea19.jpg

Finally, DP2 has an Edinburgh train. the loco often got to Newcastle, but whether it regularly went further North, I dont know.

IMG_20231209_140457.jpg.84d3179f557d5daf3660347de3c2de75.jpg

• Like 12

Last  photo for a while, as 60005 from 52A heads for Newcastle on a Glasgow- Kings X on a gloomy evening , It might seem strange, but my memory of those days from 1960 to 1964 is that you were more likely to see a 64B or 34A A4 than a Gateshead one.  even at Newcastle. In part, this seems to be because the newer A1's were prefered by the Regional CME, and they were often used on the A4 diagrams, Gateshead's express turns were often on heavy trains, rather than the fast expresses, so A1's, of which they had plenty, were possibly regarded as better bets. Who knows?

Having said that, Sir Charles and Bittern seemed to be the Gateshead ones we saw most often , I went 4 years spotting locally before seeing 60016, and have vivid memory of seeing 60001 and 60002, which shows how unusual the sightings were. Or perhaps their diagrams meant you had to be in the right place at the right time.

The model is a GBL Mallard on a Hornby chassis, with a modern Hornby tender chassis. One of these days, I'll post the photo I have of this loco being CLEANED on Shed.

IMG_20231210_095236.jpg.42830875a4a32c401ac5ecebc4083615.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, for 2023, spotters get to see the 3 models I spent most time on this year, The push-pull set heads for Newcastle, with the D&S ex-NER driving trailer at the head, and the pair of Isinglass Gresley's behind. The loco is the regular TMC?Bachmann G5.

IMG_20231222_153949.jpg.db862b78ee6587ea681a513a9e570d13.jpg

Irish Elegance takes the Queen of Scots to Glasgow, Would it have come off at Waverley? 64B did use their A2's, (including their A2/1's) on this turn, which was the return trip from the North Briton. An A3 seems to have been the preferred loco. I recently found a photo of Ocean Swell from Heaton on this train, so non-Haymarket locos did appear on the QoS North of Newcastle.

IMG_20231222_154023.jpg.53474314fad6e864afc0bd040342734a.jpg

Finally Robert Stephenson Lambton No 5 , currently on the NYMR, waits patiently to take a short train out of the sidings to Weetslade, This is a 3D print on a Bachmann chassis, but I recall with horror how much metal had to be removed to get the body to fit, However, a nice loco has come out of it,

IMG_20231222_154046.jpg.e9c282d2403384f4f2f027a4d26c3f29.jpg

Finally, finally,  best wishes for Christmas, and  have a Happy Modelling New Year,

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

John, 

The A2 would have come off at The Waverley and an Eastfield loco took it on to Queen Street. The Up service was the same, with the Eastfield loco off at The Waverley and a Haymarket turn south to Newcastle. 

The Eastfield locos were either a B1 or later on a Standard Class 5.

All the best for 2024.

Eric

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

John, 

The A2 would have come off at The Waverley and an Eastfield loco took it on to Queen Street. The Up service was the same, with the Eastfield loco off at The Waverley and a Haymarket turn south to Newcastle. 

The Eastfield locos were either a B1 or later on a Standard Class 5.

All the best for 2024.

Eric

Thanks, Eric. That makes the famous photo of Golden Plover on the train at Queen Street even more unusual- A4;s seem to have been very rare birds on the QoS.

John

• RMweb Premium

John,

The photo of Golden Plover you refer to may be the one in an LNER Pacific  book in colour. It was taken in 1961 when things were changing with the diesels. I recall seeing class 26/27s on this working to Edinburgh from Queen Street in 1962/63 in the western suburbs of Edinburgh .

Eric

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Informative/Useful 1

Busy day at Little Benton. The Ashington Miners train, hauled by RSH No 40, is parked in the sisings. I took this photo for a Facebook thread, but thought I may as well share it here. The loco body was a scratch build gifrt from my pal, 46256.

IMG_20231227_153830.jpg.b9ac5998c610121ab114c2cb2b6e9f73.jpgSpeaking of him, I bought 4 of the locos he didnt need when he was downsizing, As both mine and Jesus' birthdays are in December, they were perloined for presents, The last pair arrived on Christmas Day. The Hornby A3 model has seen a few identities, It seems to have started as Coronach, then was altered by Brian into Woolwinder, a 34A loco. I was tempted to keep it as that, as it was one of the very last I saw in BR service, as it stood light engine for a really good while at Central on what I think was my last spotting day there. However, Woolwinder would have been a very rare bird at Little benton, so , having alternative nameplates, it has had a further identity crisis and is now 60101 Cicero from 64B, Those down South who died waiting to see her will need to wait a bit longer as she heads back home on a stopper, 

IMG_20231229_105956.jpg.b1a3329e7cfba6f1ad975b038bf1568b.jpg

The spotters will actually be much more interested in 76024 from 51A, as it heads a loaded cattle train to Darlington. Just a bog-standard re-numbered Bachmann, but it will need to go into works to see why it is a jumpy runner in reverse.

IMG_20231229_110047.jpg.436701c9a3c53e317cb63010dd014759.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 13

Sadly I'm too young to have had the opportunity to die waiting for "Cicero", if only. I did see all the Deltics however!

I've long felt the BR Standards to be some of the best things Bachmann have done, but the complexity of all the outside bits means it doesn't take much for something to catch in one direction or the other. On 76024 I'd start by looking at sandpipes, pick ups, external pipework or the motion bracket/ slidebars snagging to start. A while ago now I bought a second hand 80xxx tank off ebay, which the previous owner had fiddled with and made a bit of a mess. In the end I took it all to bits, including remounting the slide bars which had been glued at the wrong angle in the factory, and put it back together. Eventually I ended up with an excellent, smooth running loco, but never again!

John.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hello John (s)

Its good to see locomotives being run, on your  layout John. My own version of the RSH tank Hams Hall no 13 has been retained by me, together with a Peckett no4 . 

They await the new layout

I also, classed the Deltics in my spotting days, cabbing one at Waverley in 1971. I’m sorry to say the East coast Pacific’s had all gone,  by the time I was travelling around the country spotting , in the late sixties and early seventies.

My reduced collection is again growing, a Midland flatiron awaits a replacement comet chassis and High level motor gear assembly. The Fowler 264t set providing the frames. Santa left the Heljan HS4000 Kestrel as mentioned, and hopefully by the time of my birthday late January I will have the Heljan E2001,  I have on order. 

My remaining stock has been in a storage unit for some months, a visit to it just prior to Christmas revealed I had retained more than I thought! No surprise really. 

It was like being reunited with old friends.

Speaking of which 

A Happy , safe and prosperous New Year to you and your loved ones

Brian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

The one I always remember seeing as 'I died waiting for' everywhere was 60004 William Whitelaw, I never saw it either, as being from Wood Green North London. Did it every get down South ???

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

The one I always remember seeing as 'I died waiting for' everywhere was 60004 William Whitelaw, I never saw it either, as being from Wood Green North London. Did it every get down South ???

manna

Very rarely, it never seemed to be first choice on the Elizabethan. I saw it on a visit to the Plant,and that was the only time. 

• Like 3

60004 does not seen to have been photographed very often even on Tyneside, never mind further south.Other than on a railtour in 1965, all my photos of WILLIAM WHITELAW are in Scotland, usually at either Waverley or Haymarket, and on trains heading north to Dundee or beyond, It is underlined in my ABC, so I must have seen it, either at Little Benton or Central, 64B's top-link drivers had allocated locos, so perhaps the pair allocated to 60004 had a reluctance to cross the Border!!!!

Here is the last of my acquisitions from 46256, It arrived as STEADY AIM which I already had, so has become 60517 OCEAN SWELL, which we saw very often when it was at Heaton, then Tweedmouth, I had the plates, and my ancient HMRC transfer sheet had a perfect match to replace only the last digit, Checking photos, I realised I need to replace the rimless chimney with a Graeme King resin casting, The smokebox door also was differnt, with the numberplate on the lower hinge, Here she is on an Edinburgh - Kings X relief to The Heart of Midlothian,IMG_20231231_115343.jpg.1341b68a4cfe80476825cb2c191d19a0.jpg

IMG_20231231_115417.jpg

• Like 13

On 29/12/2023 at 12:50, John Tomlinson said:

Sadly I'm too young to have had the opportunity to die waiting for "Cicero", if only. I did see all the Deltics however!

I've long felt the BR Standards to be some of the best things Bachmann have done, but the complexity of all the outside bits means it doesn't take much for something to catch in one direction or the other. On 76024 I'd start by looking at sandpipes, pick ups, external pipework or the motion bracket/ slidebars snagging to start. A while ago now I bought a second hand 80xxx tank off ebay, which the previous owner had fiddled with and made a bit of a mess. In the end I took it all to bits, including remounting the slide bars which had been glued at the wrong angle in the factory, and put it back together. Eventually I ended up with an excellent, smooth running loco, but never again!

John.

This loco was DCC fitted, and I did wonder if this was the reason for the jerky running, while in reverse, on my DC layout. Going forward , it was fine. On my test track with another Gaugemaster, it ran perfectly, so that seemed to discount any parts jamming or snagging, Getting the body off without damaging anything was a bit of a pig but once a blanking plate was fitted, the loco behaved properly on the layout. I took the oppertunity to dust down the "shine" with Humbrol powders, noticing that, when I re-numbered it, I hadnt altered the smokebox door-now rectified, 

IMG_20231231_172042.jpg.2c23657c260905b6a9c9530eacfd0262.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rowanj said:

This loco was DCC fitted, and I did wonder if this was the reason for the jerky running, while in reverse, on my DC layout. Going forward , it was fine. On my test track with another Gaugemaster, it ran perfectly, so that seemed to discount any parts jamming or snagging, Getting the body off without damaging anything was a bit of a pig but once a blanking plate was fitted, the loco behaved properly on the layout. I took the oppertunity to dust down the "shine" with Humbrol powders, noticing that, when I re-numbered it, I hadnt altered the smokebox door-now rectified, 

IMG_20231231_172042.jpg.2c23657c260905b6a9c9530eacfd0262.jpg

Great news, I'm glad it's been resolved and fairly painlessly too! The loco looks good with the mild weathering.

Funny how DCC chips can mess up running on DC. Like you I'm DC as well, but have found some odd events can happen if a chip is present, even if supposedly it has been properly set for DC running.

John.

• Like 1

I can see William Whitelaw whenever I like, as it is one of my stud of 64B's A4's. Here, she passes Lilltle Benton heading for Waverley. 

IMG_20240105_141142.jpg.4f9fa3cbe617d03663b28b64fe673f52.jpg

I saw all the A4's which passed into BR hands, If you could get into Gateshead, which was decidedly tricky, or even get a decent view over the wall, there was a good chance to see a selection from 34A, 52A or 64B waiting for the next turn,  Regrettably, I have very few memories of particular locos, including 60004. I do remember 60001 bringing condemned wagons into Little Benton Sidings, 60002 racing North through Chathill, and 60003 standing at Platform 9 at Central waiting to leave on the Up Tees-Tyne Pullman,  We always groaned when the A4 turned out to be either 60005 or 60019, Of the rest, I have no particular memory, though I saw them all.

• Like 10

G'Day Folks

I have some very clear memories of a few A4's. Mallard, passing through Hornsey station. Quicksilver, passing the sand yard at Wood Green station, and the very common Lord Farringdon, which seemed to pass through 10 times every day.

manna

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, rowanj said:

I can see William Whitelaw whenever I like, as it is one of my stud of 64B's A4's. Here, she passes Lilltle Benton heading for Waverley. 

IMG_20240105_141142.jpg.4f9fa3cbe617d03663b28b64fe673f52.jpg

I saw all the A4's which passed into BR hands, If you could get into Gateshead, which was decidedly tricky, or even get a decent view over the wall, there was a good chance to see a selection from 34A, 52A or 64B waiting for the next turn,  Regrettably, I have very few memories of particular locos, including 60004. I do remember 60001 bringing condemned wagons into Little Benton Sidings, 60002 racing North through Chathill, and 60003 standing at Platform 9 at Central waiting to leave on the Up Tees-Tyne Pullman,  We always groaned when the A4 turned out to be either 60005 or 60019, Of the rest, I have no particular memory, though I saw them all.

I too was privileged to see them all, the order of copping them being of course completely the opposite to your experience. 60004 was my last.

• Like 3

On 29/12/2023 at 23:13, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

When I was a young trainspotter at York in the late 1950's onwards " I died here waiting for William Whitelaw" was chalked on the wall of the gents for many years. I too was lucky enough to see all 34 B.R. A.4s & most of the other pacifics as well .

I have to say I always enjoy checking in on this thread , as it gives a view of what was happening further north than my own memories.

Best Wishes,

Ray.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1