Parsons Vale Carriage sidings - 00 BR Blue layout now Sold

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I wonder where IC rakes we’re stacked in the swallow era ? When did this shut ?

The Malago Vale sidings were taken out of use in August 1988; the ones further west went out of use.in 1971.

Dates from 'Track Layout Diagrams of the Great Western Railway and BR (WR) Section 19A' by R A Cooke.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 24/04/2019 at 15:15, rob D2 said:

I wonder where IC rakes we’re stacked in the swallow era ? When did this shut ?

Hi  Rob, when you say IC rakes,  the HSTs were stored at St Phillips Marsh, the Weymouth and Portsmouth trains had gone over to Sprinters. Towards the end it was only really Parcel stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

Ah ok,

i didn’t know if any cross country stuff originated from Bristol, I guess it was all N - Penzance , Paignton cross country stuffanyway.

off topic, but when did Barton hill take over as the base for parcels stuff ? Didn’t seem to feature in the blue days 

21 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Ah ok,

i didn’t know if any cross country stuff originated from Bristol, I guess it was all N - Penzance , Paignton cross country stuffanyway.

off topic, but when did Barton hill take over as the base for parcels stuff ? Didn’t seem to feature in the blue days 

It was doing Parcels by the mid 90s so logically it could have coincided with the closure of Malago Vale 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Ah ok,

Barton Hill assumed responsibility for all postal traffic towards the end of July 1995, I think some work was also done at SPM.

Off Topic but July was also the month of the last booked double headed Silver Bullet.

Cheers

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...

Limited Progress of late due to busy times at work and lots of outdoor leisure activity in spare time but PVCS has another exhibition booking,  one of my favourite shows, Cheltenham in April 2021. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Good to see some progress again Rob, it's coming on really well.

Thanks Andy, I am really looking forward to getting stuck into some of the detail bits, plan is to have the layout exhibitable by January at the latest.

• Like 3

That looks good. I like the weathering on the wooden planks of the buidings and I do think the 37 looks good. I had been reluctant to have a split headcode 37 on my layout which is Western Region but I am reconsidering now!

Edited by andy stroud
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Period of this layout seems to be mid 70s, and split headcode 37s were fairly common on some parts of the WR having worked through from off-region, mostly with freight trains.  The most usual route was the   ex-Midland to Gloucester, and then onward either towards Bristol or in the South Wales direction because no relieving loco was available at Gloucester.  Some even made it past Severn Tunnel Jc to Cardiff and even Margam.  They'd have been a bit less frequent on passenger workings to Bristol which is presumably the rationale for this one turning up at Parson's Vale carriage sidings, but it's by no means impossible.  

I imagine some must have got through to Didcot via Banbury as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Period of this layout seems to be mid 70s, and split headcode 37s were fairly common on some parts of the WR having worked through from off-region, mostly with freight trains.  The most usual route was the   ex-Midland to Gloucester, and then onward either towards Bristol or in the South Wales direction because no relieving loco was available at Gloucester.  Some even made it past Severn Tunnel Jc to Cardiff and even Margam.  They'd have been a bit less frequent on passenger workings to Bristol which is presumably the rationale for this one turning up at Parson's Vale carriage sidings, but it's by no means impossible.  

I imagine some must have got through to Didcot via Banbury as well.

Indeed, while unusual to see a split box 37 in Bristol, it certainly wasn't unheard of. I prefer the split box variants so there is some element of "rule 1" applying but I have seen photos of the 37s that appear on the layout (37029 & 032) in Bristol and in the case of 37032 there is a photo of it at Malago Vale albeit later on in its career.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andy stroud said:

That looks good. I like the weathering on the wooden planks of the buidings and I do think the 37 looks good. I had been reluctant to have a split headcode 37 on my layout which is Western Region but I am reconsidering now!

Thanks Andy. You know a split box 37 makes sense!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 37114 said:

Minor milestone tonight as after some concerted effort over the weekend the point motors are now all live and have been tested. I have used the stud/electric pencil method I used on Pallet Lane as previously it worked well with the seep point motors which I am using again on this layout. I haven't fully wired up the frog feeds yet but to test it one of the mainline locos was used so 37029 had it's first run in nearly 2 years. I found a couple of dead sections due to 2 dry joints but other than that it all ran to plan. All being well I will set the layout up properly on Wednesday night with the fiddle yard as well so Alan can start working out the operating sequence and get some testing hours under the belt.  Over the next few weeks I hope to finish the "1st fix" scenery so I can crack on with the detailing.

20190812_213747.jpg.cc7a7b4f14cbc3909cda2a6cd294119b.jpg

thumbnail_20190812_213951.jpg.221770432a3875438de0e48d5034d887.jpg

Hi Rob

Good to see some more progress, and the railway side of the fence is great. Especially the 37.

However in Pic 1, and to my eyes, the spade being used looks rather Germanic/European. A good

old British version would surely be shorter, and have a handle. Makes me suspect a Noch or Faller figure

rather than simply a gardener.

Just an observation, but if it jars with me it must with others, as I don't tend to see detail.

All the best

TONY

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Hi Rob

Good to see some more progress, and the railway side of the fence is great. Especially the 37.

However in Pic 1, and to my eyes, the spade being used looks rather Germanic/European. A good

old British version would surely be shorter, and have a handle. Makes me suspect a Noch or Faller figure

rather than simply a gardener.

Just an observation, but if it jars with me it must with others, as I don't tend to see detail.

All the best

TONY

Good point Tony, I hadn't spotted it myself but will have a go at shortening the handle, changing the head shape, etc. You are correct the figure is a Noch figure, he was left over from the building site set which had too many people to be realistic for my small house extension scene 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The layout looks fantastic from all angles Rob, which I think is often a difficult trick to pull off; I especially like the the last 2 "ground level" photos. Also the way the part-relief house backs blend with those on the backscene "across the road"; the wall colouring makes them gel really well together. 

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The floodlight towers make a big difference, with the implication that we are looking at a busy 24/7 sort of operation here.  As has been said, the blending on model to backdrop is absolutely convincing as well.  Kudos, Rob!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

The layout looks fantastic from all angles Rob, which I think is often a difficult trick to pull off; I especially like the the last 2 "ground level" photos. Also the way the part-relief house backs blend with those on the backscene "across the road"; the wall colouring makes them gel really well together. 

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn, I am glad I made the effort with the baseboard to create the embankment. The Airfix kit is a great match for the houses over the road.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The floodlight towers make a big difference, with the implication that we are looking at a busy 24/7 sort of operation here.  As has been said, the blending on model to backdrop is absolutely convincing as well.  Kudos, Rob!

Thanks,  it is amazing the difference the floodlights make to the overall impression of the layout, plan is to have them working which should give the opportunity for some night time photos. 

• Like 1