Parsons Vale Carriage sidings - 00 BR Blue layout now Sold

Loving the photo backscenes Rob, really helps set the layout! The bridge at the left hand end will feature on the layout Jack and I have planned, the section between the two bridges at Parson Street. It'd be good to have them side by side, if they ever do a show together!

For road markings, although in N, Grahame Hedges used Posca paint markers and this should scale up. There's info about it on his thread in the card structures section, the road markings were quite recent so should be a page or two back

Jo

Thanks for the tip about road markings Jo. I have a few reference shots I have dug up which I can send across which may help with the bridge. Have you started on your layout, any pics yet? 

Hi Rob,

The bridge pics sound very useful, cheers!

We are no further than a track plan so far, but a thread will be started in due course. Current work has been getting the house up together and getting Maesglas ready for its trip to Calne in January. Once Calne is out the way, we'll probably look into things a bit more detail

Jo

Hi Rob,

The bridge pics sound very useful, cheers!

We are no further than a track plan so far, but a thread will be started in due course. Current work has been getting the house up together and getting Maesglas ready for its trip to Calne in January. Once Calne is out the way, we'll probably look into things a bit more detail

Jo

Sounds good Jo, will probably see you at Calne show as Julie has given me a pass out for half a day what with it being the last one. 

The backscene development is now finished having now progressed with the pictures that sit behind the low relied semi's. I have used images of the appropriate street from google streetview which have been edited to remove modern wheelie bins, 20mph restrictions and a fridge freezer in the front garen of one of the houses:

post-7400-0-63003000-1544916097_thumb.jpg

Away from the digital trickery I have also progressed the water tank. Although not an exact match, I am still making an effort to replicate the Malago vale water tank so have scratch built the legs to appear as per the real tank rather than use the ornate Airfix ones. The exact positioning of the water tank is up for debate as while it breaks up the scenic area, it also potentially gets in the way while shunting so may still move.

post-7400-0-99716400-1544916297_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a question regarding operation, with a 5ft layout depicting a section of mainline. How do you handle operation on the mainline? In particular what is the maximum length you are handling?

In the past I have always struggled to get everything I want into a small layout, but I’m quite happy with how the current one has turned out (other than the fact I haven’t made a fiddleyard yet). For my next project I want to build something to show off my GWT Merlin stock, which will be continuing down the bit of a depot theme, so I am watching this with a great deal of interest.

I have a question regarding operation, with a 5ft layout depicting a section of mainline. How do you handle operation on the mainline? In particular what is the maximum length you are handling?

In the past I have always struggled to get everything I want into a small layout, but I’m quite happy with how the current one has turned out (other than the fact I haven’t made a fiddleyard yet). For my next project I want to build something to show off my GWT Merlin stock, which will be continuing down the bit of a depot theme, so I am watching this with a great deal of interest.

Hi,

The main train length on the longest siding is 3 coaches plus a loco, the shorter sidings are between 2 and 1 coach plus a loco. I will do a few photos when I next have the layout up. With Peafore Yard, The platform only accommodated 1 coach and the basic premise was:

- Train arrives, loco uncouples

- Loco runs around and goes off scene

-Shunter repeats the above in reverse.

Hope that helps?

I have made some more progress on the scenery and am basically working from the left of the layout to the right.

Firstly some more details have been added to the garage thanks to a Busch garage interior kit. Not all of it has been used as some of it is more suited to a repair shop rather than an amature mechanic keeping an old banger on the road. 

post-7400-0-18258100-1546204086_thumb.jpg

The other thing I had been keen to model was an extension being built to one of the off-scene houses to the front of the layout. Ostensibly it is a small outbuilding/utility and is at an early stage of build. I used Wills sheets for this, glued back to back to give the right thickness and it will now be painted. I recessed the building into a trench cut into the mod-roc to represent foundations that hadn't been backfilled. The shed previously located here has been cut in half and split between 2 houses at the back of the layout.

post-7400-0-82011700-1546204527_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-54462300-1546204631_thumb.jpg

At the back of the layout the interiors have been added to the semi's (including a couple who should have drawn the bedroom curtains), while a start has been made on the gardens and fencing of one of the houses. A concrete hard-standing has been laid for the Austin A35 in the spares box. A set of steps are needed for a number of houses as in reality these were built on the side of a hil that sloped towards the track as well as the footbridge.

post-7400-0-83855100-1546204845_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-49409000-1546204859_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I managed to get to the local art shop yesterday to get one of the Posca paint pens Jo mentioned earlier for the road markings. I decided to practise on a scrap bit of road surface first to experiment with drawing the lines. I had hoped to be able to create a template to do the edges straight but unfortunately due to rough surface paint bled under the template, the same happened with masking tape. In the end I cut my own from a brand new self adhesive label which stuck well, time will tell how long it lasts..

post-7400-0-72075000-1546522326_thumb.jpg

With the road surface sorted I added the fence at the top of the embankment and the lamp posts. The road vehicles have all been secured to the road. For cars and plastic vehicles I glue them down, for the heavier lorries I used wire from freezer tags which is wrapped around the axle and then fed through 2 small holes in the baseboard and twisted together. This has the advantage of providing a strong securing method as well as making the vehicles removable when I sell the layout at some point (both the Leyland Bus and the George Taylor Lorry I will be keeping).

post-7400-0-25902200-1546522618_thumb.jpg

I placed the British Gas Sherpa parked on the kerb to hid a misplaced drain cover, eventually I may look to make this more of a scene with a hole being dug but for now I have put 2 workmen behind the van having a discussion

post-7400-0-78383800-1546522636_thumb.jpg

I have been wrestling a little bit with the location of the water tank for the train heating boiler, so I decided to put both the yard lights in (temporarily hence the tools acting as weights to keep them in place) and some stock on the layout. As I am insane enough to use 3 Link couplings it is important I can access certain points with the hand of god. My initial thoughts had been to put the tower quite centrally in the layout:

post-7400-0-66812200-1546522865_thumb.jpg

I think this potentially breaks the layout up too much and is in the way slightly for a couple of the sidings. A new consideration is to put it closer to the control panel which is virtually where the tank was in reality:

post-7400-0-29457500-1546522985_thumb.jpg

This position creates more a challenge with the front siding but I like the more open nature at the front of the sidings. It creates a challenge what to do with the boiler house although I can convert the building over the control panel into the boiler house which would work. More pondering required.

In answer to the Fatadder's question about how the layout works operationally, hopefully some of these photos help. A train enters from the right of the layout, in this case 31210

post-7400-0-60621300-1546523172_thumb.jpg

The loco runs forward into the headshunt:

post-7400-0-46463000-1546523261_thumb.jpg

Then runs off scene by an empty loop:

post-7400-0-18021800-1546523345_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile the carriage cleaners have been busy and need to put some rubbish in the muck truck. 08950 retrieves it from the dead end siding and places it next to the carriages:

post-7400-0-86625000-1546523383_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-18216600-1546523414_thumb.jpg

Later on a MK1 BCK is ready to go back into service after a brake fault has been traced and fixed:

post-7400-0-13689200-1546523507_thumb.jpg

The carriage needs to go on the London end of the train so the 08 runs past the rake in a vacant loop

post-7400-0-43704600-1546523567_thumb.jpg

37032 arrives with another rake for servicing. (The appearance of 37032 is entirely prototypical as despite split box 37's being rare at Bristol, 37032 did indeed get to Malago Vale)

post-7400-0-41328800-1546523654_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-80653900-1546523669_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Another layout I like looking at. Love the pebble dashed houses.

One thing I would do is knock back the road markings a touch, I guess with weathering powder? As they look a bit too fresh for me.

My layout is let down by the Peco code 75, the Peco bullhead was not available then and and I knew nothing about tracking building back then. The bullhead on yours looks so much better.

All the best

Steve

Another layout I like looking at. Love the pebble dashed houses.

One thing I would do is knock back the road markings a touch, I guess with weathering powder? As they look a bit too fresh for me.

My layout is let down by the Peco code 75, the Peco bullhead was not available then and and I knew nothing about tracking building back then. The bullhead on yours looks so much better.

All the best

Steve

Thanks Steve. I will have a fresh look at the road markings and compare to some photos of real ones to see how much to tone them down, it could be a bit of a challenge due to the slightly glossy nature of the labels I used. The bullhead track is nice, I just wish the double slip was available at the time I laid the track.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying seeing the layout come together Rob, I realy like the garage at the front, it's looking great. I also like the photo's explaining how you'll operate it, thanks for that.

Steve.

I'm enjoying seeing the layout come together Rob, I realy like the garage at the front, it's looking great. I also like the photo's explaining how you'll operate it, thanks for that.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, yours is coming on well as well.

• RMweb Gold

Really liking the latest set of photos and the explanation of the 'part train hidden by overbridge' concept.

I presume Rich 'fatadder' is wondering if there will be trains passing by on the main lines & how you would handle them, given they would / should be full length?

Really liking the latest set of photos and the explanation of the 'part train hidden by overbridge' concept.

I presume Rich 'fatadder' is wondering if there will be trains passing by on the main lines & how you would handle them, given they would / should be full length?

Thanks Rich. Unfortunately due to space and operational constraints the mainline has been deleted from the layout. I would need another fiddle yard/ operator which would add to the costs and "non productive" frontage length (i.e. a 13ft layout with only 5ft of scenic area), both of which would make it less appealing, while train length would be restricted to 3 carriages plus a loco. You could make it work by imposing some sort of downline closure so the only through trains are a DMU shuttle service plus engineering trains. The track has been laid fully under the bridge to allow an extension in the future if required.

It’s looking really nice and just the sort of thing I like.

I always struggled to get a mainline theme into a branchline area but you are doing the job well !

My new 10x 1 1/2 plank will feature BH and some sidings , supposedly for parcel trains from a small “ London terminus “ type set up

It’s looking really nice and just the sort of thing I like.

I always struggled to get a mainline theme into a branchline area but you are doing the job well !

My new 10x 1 1/2 plank will feature BH and some sidings , supposedly for parcel trains from a small “ London terminus “ type set up

Sounds great Rob, look forward to seeing it. One of my favourite small Parcel train layouts is Westonmouth Central, IIRC it only had one point on it but looked good fun to operate.

I have decided on the position of the buildings, the water tank will move to the building by the bridge with the boiler house I built being saved for a future layout:

post-7400-0-40845200-1546793380_thumb.jpg

The garage has had some enamel signs added to the back wall, I will probably need to sort some lights for the garage as the interior is not really that visible:

post-7400-0-57253500-1546793475_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-04487700-1546793489_thumb.jpg

The steam heating van was given a test run now it is nearly finished (the steam heat pipe is missing!)

post-7400-0-65335500-1546793589_thumb.jpg

• Like 5