micro change of mind

kevo

Yes i agree my  sentinel will end up a buffer stop I never really had much luck with short wheel base shunters  which is a shame as the layout was built for that type of locos in mind . wonder if a more expensive decoder would fix problem ?

I've not got one of these locos, so I can't add anything re their running / reliability

However, is there room inside for a stay-alive (keep-alive) capacitor and decoder?

Perhaps an N gauge one, if such a thing exists?

I ask because I always found that short wheelbase locos tend to be unreliable - even good runners tend to get a bit of dirt on their wheels, or encounter a dirty / dead spot on the track (even the best laid, scrupulously cleaned bit of track gets dirty at an exhibition) I installed a stay alive decoder into one of my class 08's - a Hornby model I converted to EM gauge. Anyhow, after installing the decoder, it runs absolutely faultlessly.... It never ever stalls, and runs really slowly and smoothly....

Just wondered whether there was room inside the sentinel?

EDIT: They do say you should always run a loco in well, before installing any decoder... but in the case of my 08, I never did

It ran OK before I installed the decoder, but not brilliantly -  I had thought it might have been my conversion to EM that had been questionable..... but the keep alive chip & capacitor worked an absolute treat :)

Edited by marc smith

HI  marc I will be take ing the body shell off over the weekend so I will have a look . that is good to know about your 08 and fitting the stay alive chip I have heard good things said about stay alive . and it would be a shame to not use it  as it now banished  back in its box :scratchhead: 

• Like 1

HI  marc I will be take ing the body shell off over the weekend so I will have a look . that is good to know about your 08 and fitting the stay alive chip I have heard good things said about stay alive . and it would be a shame to not use it  as it now banished  back in its box :scratchhead:

Good news kevo. Always worth exploring. I know the 08 looks like there must be a bit of space in it, but there really isn't much space in either the Hornby or Bachmann models (unless both their designs have altered in recent months)

In fact, in the Hornby 08, I had to put the stay alive capacitor into the loco cab. I've partly disguised this by painting the wires off-white (like the cab interior) and putting a driver right against the window - so you can't see the wires so easily....

Hope you can fit one into the sentinel.... perhaps there's already a thread on here somewhere? Some other rmweb member must have tried this already? Good luck anyway :)

Hi Marc just before i set of for work this morning i had a quick look on Y TUBE  to see if there was any think about running problems Hornby sentinel dcc . well looks like i am not alone . some chap  had the very same problem . turns out that his sentinel like mine dus run ok on DC  but after fitting the Hornby decoder  IT was next to use less . in his own words runs like crap . . so i wonder if there is another decoder on the market that  will have a stay a live built in that will fit as i am not that brave to start cutting wires etc . mind you i did see a zimmo sound decoder fitted on Ytube  and that didnt seem to have any problems with running

hi Luke . I the past I have used lenz decoders  they gave excellent running  . funny enough I have just seen on Y tube some one who had hard wired a 8 pin 4 fuction  decoder in to there  sentinel  . was that you ? seem to run a hell of a lot better

post-26535-0-63586800-1517165830_thumb.jpgHi  all  . been doing some more bits here  and there since my last few pics  . the gates at the end of the layout have had the weathering touch they lead on to the scrap yard . and the grass banks got a make over with bits of scrub small bushes etc  post-26535-0-00632900-1517166079_thumb.jpgI have also fixed the loading pipes from the cement silo and the girder gantry around it in place . it still needs some loading hoses . post-26535-0-01515700-1517166343_thumb.jpg There is sill the patch of waist ground at the front of the layout to finish post-26535-0-79389600-1517166757_thumb.jpg At the moment a small Coles crane is parked up there . I am leaning  to some think like a small stock pile of steel billets like at the Queenborough rolling mill on the hope reach peir branch post-26535-0-08054300-1517167192_thumb.jpg so work should begin in the week . I have even got my sentienl back out the box and run it still runs rough but ile think about what to do later with itpost-26535-0-23533600-1517167504_thumb.jpg Hope you like the new up date :superstition:

• Like 10

thanks Luke . I did  leave the  concrete  standing  plain  flat , but dived it up as to look like laid in sections and add the odd gouge and cracks  but it dus need  some grass in the jonts  to finish

hi all , I have made a start to day on the waist ground . have ing  hunted in my scrap box for some think to use as steel billets for the queenbrough rolling mill  idea I just didn't have any think around. so I came up with a dump for pulled up track &sleepers from the scrap yard beyond the gatespost-26535-0-45286800-1517759659_thumb.jpg I have brought a Bachmann 30 ton bolster wagon . but its really much to long for this layout so ile try and look for a shorter wheel base flatbed type . I have just placed sleepers and track in place to see if it looks right and if happy I will then weather it all up and then add some scrub and grass etc  PS the sentinel is still running bad and I am still at a loss to what zimmo sound decoder will fit . more bits soon . tc

• Like 6

thanks jerry that could be worth a try from post that I have read so far some people have tried that as well as strip downs re lube gears etc  the only thing with that is for as much as I am a dcc fan and I can re number locos that is as far as my experience goes . might get my local model shop to have a play around with it

Excellent progress here. What size is the overall board?

Shame about the Sentinel - I’ve got the MSC one too but it runs pretty well on DC. It was a bit sticky to start with but I found the gears (?) were too greased up. Once that was solved it ran like a charm.

Hi Chris  the base board is 82cm long by37cm wide there is a10 cm over hang with the traverser. . some time this week I will remove the Hornby decoder and run the sentinel on dc and see how my one runs . . due to switching scales and gauges think the term is called rubber gauger :scratchhead: I sold all my oo  stock with my last layout  so I am having to build it all up again .lucky enough a good mate of mine lent me his 03 which shows up in some of the early pics . . I did get a decoder to putt in it but as I think back even that didn't run well.  any way enough said :drag: 

Excellent progress here. What size is the overall board?

Shame about the Sentinel - I’ve got the MSC one too but it runs pretty well on DC. It was a bit sticky to start with but I found the gears (?) were too greased up. Once that was solved it ran like a charm.

Layout's looking excellent especially with the Sentinel in residence. On that note - there's nothing inherently wrong with the Sentinels, I've got 5 all operating on DC which are now all excellent, slow-speed, performers. However, only 2 were perfect when new (coincidently both are the Balfour Beatty version). The others all needed the pick-ups tweaking to ensure full 4 wheel contact. The outside cranked version needed the wheelsets reset to set the quartering correctly and a 'sticky starter' NCB version was rectified by clearing all the thick grease out of the gears just like Chris found.

I'd persevere with your MSC Sentinel or, if it's fairly new, return it to the supplier for replacement.

Regards, HC

post-26535-0-39832800-1518179058_thumb.jpg as the Bachmann 30 ton bolster wagon was really to long for the track and sleeper dump a short Hornby wheel base one was found on Ebay . this seem to fit the bill much better  . it will get a bit of a re paint and good weather ing  . few other bits  or mock up . is old box van for a tool shed . I have been weather ing the sleeper piles and stock pile of scrap rails post-26535-0-77901400-1518179557_thumb.jpg also  found some pallets  and telegraph poles post-26535-0-98285000-1518179772_thumb.jpg . next stage will be blending it all together wit scrub grass etc around the piles of disused sleepers

• Like 7