Howlsike - the North Eastern Railway through the Esk Valley - P4

i recommend NP as well but you may have to wait a few months to get them as they build up enough orders until an etch sheet has been filled then send it off to a 3rd party to etch

GNR doncaster

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-2101

or LNER darlington

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-2102

on the latter, there is a drop down menu to change it to doncaster

Edited by sir douglas

• RMweb Gold

i recommend NP as well but you may have to wait a few months to get them as they build up enough orders until an etch sheet has been filled then send it off to a 3rd party to etch

GNR doncaster

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-2101

or LNER darlington

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-2102

on the latter, there is a drop down menu to change it to doncaster

Trouble with those is they're LNER plates and way too big, Mike needs the small NER plates that replaced this one https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/number-plate-styles/products/npp-412 can't find a photo of one though, Mike has got some plates that are slightly too big but ok.

Thanks all,

As Paul said I've got a few sets of plates from modelmaster for my goods locos.

I'll likely be ordering some plates from Narrow Planet for my passenger locos, I've had a few from them for some narrow gauge locos in the past and they were excellent

Hi Jonathan,

I've replaced the buffers with NER pattern tapered versions, also I've removed the later dome and blanked the resultant hole.

The replacement castings were from Arthur Kimber, the dome and safety valves are from his B15 kit (same boiler pattern)

The new dome is across the next boiler band forward rather than in between two of them.

I think the boiler bands should really be in slightly different positions but the difference isn't huge.

Also I think some of the washout plugs might need moving, I haven't done this yet though.

I've found some early pattern toolboxes for the tender as well

Paul (worsdell forever) has also backdated one of these

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3252-worsdell-forevers-workbench-loads-of-north-eastern-stuff/page-45&do=findComment&comment=2360559

Hope this is some help

Over the last couple of evenings I've been putting together some dingham couplings

As a result I can now form a small train

post-6837-0-41799400-1523105955_thumb.jpg

The C10 open is basically finished now, and the single bolster just needs painting and lettering.

The brake van needs quite a bit doing to finish it and is going to be a bit of an experiment in what I can get away with in P4 as the chassis is basically rigid.

If it doesn't work then I'll try and retrofit some of the Dave Bradwell springing units.

The next one of these vans will be sprung to start with (hopefully)

• Like 2

Having picked up a set of etches to compensate the Ratio LNWR wagon kits from London Road Models whilst at York, I figured that it might make a quick project to spur me on.

The etched chassis fits with minimal modifications (only really needing the solebars thinning to clear the W irons)

In the course of a few hours I'd got this far:

post-6837-0-64377000-1523177711_thumb.jpg

This is greatly helped by the axleboxes and springs being separate mouldings, meaning no filing down w irons to retrieve them.

The 4 plank has ended up compensated with one rocking axle.

I had originally intended to spring the chassis but the brake gear position makes fitting pivot points for the springs awkward.

The 2 plank wagon yet to be built may be sprung as this will have the single brakes fitted, allowing a bit more room to fit the spring wires.

All in all it's been a nice start to a kit where there isn't the need for excessive modification to fit springing or compensation.

• Like 6

Another couple of hours work this evening has seen the 2 plank LNWR open start to take shape.

post-6837-0-95126800-1523309936_thumb.jpg

There's still a bit left to do on both wagons, the 4 plank is a little more finished

post-6837-0-97596800-1523309950_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Following a recent house move I’ve managed to get a bit of time to progress my J24

post-6837-0-72423400-1533244029_thumb.jpeg

The tender has been finished about 6 years and much of the loco was built not long after

Over the last few days I’ve got the sanding gear linkages added, along with most of the remaining handrails.

The boiler fittings are loosely positioned for the photo, I’m hoping to get these fixed in their proper places this weekend.

This will be finished as 1852 of Middlesbrough shed, it’s not beyond possibility that it worked the line and it’s also suitable for another club project we’re in the early stages of, which is set in part of Middlesbrough

• Like 9

Over the weekend I’ve managed to get most of the remaining bits and pieces fixed to the J24

This shows how far I’ve got

65c0c215-abc7-44b0-8193-c30a9287bce2.jpeg.11001b725947fb73a82a0ec7c6c31615.jpeg

There’s a few little bits left to do, such as the backhead, pickups and couplings, along with the last of the painting

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Anymore progress with Howlsike please ?.

A shame some of the photographs were lost.

I sent you scans of Egton Bridge station a few years ago.

Best regards

Edited by D5158
Text update

• 3 months later...
On 25/09/2023 at 15:05, D5158 said:

Anymore progress with Howlsike please ?.

Hi, sorry only just seen that you posted this.

Only minimal progress to report, the J24 is now painted and almost finished.

I’m currently trying to shoehorn P4 wheels into an Oxford J27 and build a few more bits and pieces for the layout.

I’ll try and post some updates soon.

Many thanks for looking in

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for taking time out to respond.

I am pleased to hear work is progressing, albeit slowly.  You have many projects on the go.

I look forward to seeing future reports, as and when.

Best regards

Alan

• Thanks 1