Autoballasters

My understanding is that the generator on an autoballaster can power five wagons (ie the wagon that it is mounted on and four others).  That therefore means that in general, autoballasters will operate in rakes containing one generator wagon for every four non-generator wagons.  A rake of five wagons will therefore have just a single generator, while a rake of ten wagons will have two.  In general, they tend to run in multiples of five for this very reason.

Apart from delivery of a rake when new, I can't see any reason for operating a rake of generator wagons.  A rake would have as few generator wagons as possible in service.

Did you by any chance purchase one of Hattons' bulk packs of generator JJAs?

The HQA autos run as fixed 5 sets, coupled within the set by buckeye. The generator is always an end vehicle and located at the outer end of the wagon.

JJAs, which Bachmann have modelled, have screw couplings on each vehicle. Again, one generator per 5 set as mentioned up thread. These can be located anywhere in the 5 set, but do seem to have tended to end up at one end since they gained the yellow stripe bodywork at overhaul. Occasionally these may run shorter, perhaps a 4 set, if required for a particular job.

Should a generator fail, they can be cross fed from the adjacent set, a maximum of 10 wagons.

Taunton Fairwater has been home to a pair of genny fitted wagons, they work with the MOBC and came up to Westbury for refilling. It may be worth searching for 6C72 or 6C73 on Flickr to see if there's any pictures of this working. It's the only time I know of multiple generator wagons running with no non generator wagons.

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Not seen a rake that big for a while. 20 seems the most we've had lately, and that only just fits the yard! Takes ages to get the air up on autos too

Jo

yeah 20 is the most ive worked in the past, 25 should be an experience, luckily ive go the empties off site!

It is possible to remove the generators and do some modelling to make them look like different wagons. I bought a couple of them on offer from Kernow to turn into tiphook kpa's, generator and covers need removing, new cover fasioned from plasticard and a couple of other bits.

post-9147-0-99349000-1509271666_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-35424400-1509271952_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the destruction process.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I didn't have the rake of 25 last night in the end but watched t trundle by while I was in my train, there were no rakes with more than one genny in them unfortunaly, same again at Basford hall, another 3 sets and all 'normal' configuration of one genny fitted wagon on the end of the rake

• 4 weeks later...

Did you by any chance purchase one of Hattons' bulk packs of generator JJAs?

No i didn't get a bulk pack of generator JJAs from Hattons. The reason i asked the question is because I brought a Railtrack autoballaster with generator a few years back and wanted to create a autoballaster set and noticed at there are unbranded generators versions reduced in price. 

Samuel.

Edited by sc2016

No i didn't get a bulk pack of generator JJAs from Hattons. The reason i asked the question is because I brought a Railtrack autoballaster with generator a few years back and wanted to create a autoballaster set and noticed at there are unbranded generators versions reduced in price.

Samuel.

It just depends what era your modelling as the unbranded ones are ex railtrac now network rail. Edited by crazynitwit