RMweb

Grain tipper lorries in 4mm OO gauge

Can anyone recommend any suitable rigid (i.e. not articulated) grain tipper lorries in 4mm OO gauge, similar to that shown in the image below. I am modelling the 1960s/70s period. I can't seem to find any decent ones on the market, i.e. Oxford Diescast or Pocketbond "Classix".

post-3292-0-76810100-1509321730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben04uk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wagon in picture is a Seddon with an early motor panels cab, Road Transport Images make a model of one in resin. Great photo by the way, any more details?.

Regards James

It looks like a screen shot from the Transport Video Publishing DVD "Pick Up Freight", which is a great record of Norfolk pick-up freight train operation in the 1960s. Filmed over several days, the loco and train changes between shots, but that doesn't jar at all; the 31 burbling through the countryside, shunting here and there, is so enthralling. Truly a by-gone era.  

• Like 2

It looks like a screen shot from the Transport Video Publishing DVD "Pick Up Freight", which is a great record of Norfolk pick-up freight train operation in the 1960s. Filmed over several days, the loco and train changes between shots, but that doesn't jar at all; the 31 burbling through the countryside, shunting here and there, is so enthralling. Truly a by-gone era.

[/quote

Just ordered the the DVD, thanks for the heads up.

Regards James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Proper grain tippers were special bodies. Like a railway grain wagon they were covered with loading hatches in the roof. The principle difference (apart from size) was the method of unloading, the railways using bottom doors and most road vehicles by tipping or an Archemedes screw. The method of emptying the vehicle dictated the shape of the body, the tipper was simply a box in its basic form. The Archemedes screw version usually had a V shaped floor.

In the 60s and 70s most grain haulage would still have been in open tippers, mostly with a canvas tilt, usually high sided and in some cases convertible with a detachable sides. Peter Davies' books have a good selection of images and there my be some images on the web.

This aren't his but the Kenneth Wilson Foden S20 in this selection shows the typical vehicle of the time. http://picssr.com/tags/tippers/interesting/page16

Edited by RANGERS

In the 60s and 70s most grain haulage would still have been in open tippers, mostly with a canvas tilt, usually high sided and in some cases convertible with a detachable sides. Peter Davies' books have a good selection of images and there my be some images on the web.

This aren't his but the Kenneth Wilson Foden S20 in this selection shows the typical vehicle of the time. http://picssr.com/tags/tippers/interesting/page16

Thanks Rangers - can you recommend any specific Peter Davies' books as I don't think I've come across that author before.

• Like 1

Try this one as a starting point

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Lorries-Sixties-Peter-Davies/dp/187156509X

He's written several others with the same publisher, they turn up s/h on ebay regularly but often fetch close to the price new or even more for some titles.

If the price of the books puts you off, then this site may be of interest:-

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/

It has a mixture of views of preserved and historic views.

My recollection of grain-carrying vehicles was that they always seemed to have a small sliding hatch in the tailgate, presumably to allow samples to be drawn before unloading.

• Like 1

My recollection of grain-carrying vehicles was that they always seemed to have a small sliding hatch in the tailgate, presumably to allow samples to be drawn before unloading.

I had a summer job in the lab at Pauls and Sanders maltings in Ipswich in 1977. One of the tasks was to sample the grain from the lorries. To do this the tilt was drawn back and you had to climb on top and push a sampling tube into the load at several points. The sampler was basically two concentric tubes with holes in each which could be closed by rotating the inner tube. You pushed the sampler down into the grain with the holes closed, opened them to allow the grain in, closed them, withdrew the sampler and tipped the contents into a plastic bag. Would make a good layout cameo.

That is one fitted with an archimedes screw as I mentioned earlier.

Not so sure about that, the self unloading systems are rarely fitted to tipping bodies and all those I've seen have hopper bodies. The one in that pic is most definitely a "bathtub" type tipper with a flat floor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not so sure about that, the self unloading systems are rarely fitted to tipping bodies and all those I've seen have hopper bodies. The one in that pic is most definitely a "bathtub" type tipper with a flat floor.

If you look closely you will see that the back of the tipper body is lower than the sides at the bottom, this suggests that the bottom is V shaped. If it was a simple box part of the load would surely get trapped in the corners.

I’m tending to agree with Rangers, I too am doubtful that it has screw unloading. You just would’t need it in a body tipped at that angle and if that trailer does have a screw, how is it driven?

The lower back at the rear merely accommodates the end of a short internal trough which directs the flow to the lowest point. The bottom corners may have internal baffles to prevent grain lodging there.

Way back , when I was a cowman for the CWS on the Down Ampney estate, we got a Leyland Hippo 6+4 from RHM. It was fitted with a dual purpose body which could be folded down to make a flatbed or raised to make a tipper body. The back of the body was slotted in place when the sides were up. Rigidity was aided by metal rods slotted between the sides.

The beast, in this form, was used to transport grain from the combine to the grain dryer on Down Ampney airfield.

There was a slide in the tailgate which was raised to empty, the rate being controlled by raising and lowering the body. You had to be careful 'cos you could beat the intake screw on the dryer!!

Ergonomic cab, six speed with a double axle difflock. She wouldn't 'arf go!!!!! The difflock meant that you could get off the field loaded even in wet conditions with road tyres fitted!

Why was a cowman driving the wagon?

Well, when we got her, the only people with the required licence were three cowmen!!

I loved it!!!

• Like 2