Pacer Discussions...

• RMweb Premium

I just like 144 3-cars in particular, I think they're a very decent size of train for most secondary lines, and that unit turned up so often when I was train crew that it seems like an old friend!

Three car units - 144s in particular - always seem to me to be more in proportion than 2 car sets, more like "real-train"-like

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We said this about 101s etc 30 odd years ago !

Living in Scotland and being deprived of pacers I would go out of my way to travel on one ......and I love a 153 !

Mike b

Somewhere, I have a picture of a Pacer in Inverness, around the time the 37/4s were coming off the far north lines, and the bridge collapse. I took it at lochgorm workshops, where the shed master poetically said “never fear over my dead body will it be running round here”.

It was there for workshop repairs, apparently around this time sheds could “bid” for repair work from other areas.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks to me like the start of a caption competition.  I was going to suggest something about looking for your back scratching pole, but I think I'd go for something along the lines (pun intended) of "has anyone seen my loofah?" since you're under the washer jet...  

• 1 year later...

The first nine of Northern's 142s will be withdrawn this weekend. They will be Newton Heath's 142012/13/14/30/33 and Heaton's 142016/21/25/66. 142025 has already been withdrawn with engine failure.

I have always preferred the Pacers over other rolling stock as they are light and airy. I find on hot days it is most comfortable to sit on the bench seats near the doors with the windows open.

In my locality, mostly cascaded 150/1s will take other Pacer duties. I have always detested 150s due to their claustrophobic interiors and the excessive noise from their late 1960s designed Cummins marine engines. They cause me too much stress and anxiety to travel on them and i will only travel by train when absolutely essential once the Pacer withdrawal has taken place.

• Friendly/supportive 3