The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pharmacy want to review my medicine

Tony Davis

• RMweb Premium

The combination is used of low dose insulin and Metformin when a patient is insulin resistant, as well as insulin using.  It is quite rare, but as my GP happens to be a diabetes expert, and locum consultant, he does know his stuff.

Hi

I've been taking metformin and insulin for the last fifteen years at least. I am a type one diabetic and my last hba1c was 6.2 so it must be working for me.

I too have had the review at boots but they only seemed to ask me if I knew why I was taking the listed drugs.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I still know of a few independents, though by no means as many as there were - in fact probably some of the independents are part of a chain but the fact is not made obvious.

As to the Co-op, I thought that they unloaded the pharmacy business some time ago, and the branches now operate under the branding of Well.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I've been taking metformin and insulin for the last fifteen years at least. I am a type one diabetic and my last hba1c was 6.2 so it must be working for me.

I too have had the review at boots but they only seemed to ask me if I knew why I was taking the listed drugs.

Cheers

Paul

Interesting Paul - I am Type 2 and my Hba1C was in the same order - 6.8 and Simon is quite happy with that - 10-12 of rapid a few minutes before a meal (it is a very rapid one),  One Metformin with or after the food, and 36 of long acting at night.  All seems to work for me - helps having a supportive diabetic team headed by real enthusiast on the illness.

I wasn't actually asked at the review, the woman assumed that the combination of insulin and Metformin was not right, and took it on herself to try to get the Metformin deleted.  Her area manager soon put her right on the fact that it was a used combination in certain diabetic cases, and my GP gave the Boots branch hell.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting Paul - I am Type 2 and my Hba1C was in the same order - 6.8 and Simon is quite happy with that - 10-12 of rapid a few minutes before a meal (it is a very rapid one), One Metformin with or after the food, and 36 of long acting at night. All seems to work for me - helps having a supportive diabetic team headed by real enthusiast on the illness.

I wasn't actually asked at the review, the woman assumed that the combination of insulin and Metformin was not right, and took it on herself to try to get the Metformin deleted. Her area manager soon put her right on the fact that it was a used combination in certain diabetic cases, and my GP gave the Boots branch hell.

Hi

We seem to be on similar amounts. My fast acting is 6, 4 & 6 breakfast, dinner & tea. Slow acting 22 breakfast & 12 supper. Two metformin tablets one am & one pm.

Good job someone knew what they were doing.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Like 1

I have been out of the (Scottish) health services for a few years, so might not be completely up to date.  Certainly a few years ago, the GP / prescribing nurse was required to do a drugs review once a year, often required the patient to attend, which some patients didn't like to do as they were busy, this was / is to protect the patient's health - also to ensure they are taking the medication.  Therefore "no new prescriptions till you come in".

It was also inconvenient for a certain section of shall we say an ethnic population, where the patient seemed to live far away & the UK paid for drugs were posted to them by the family & either used or sold.

I still know of a few independents, though by no means as many as there were - in fact probably some of the independents are part of a chain but the fact is not made obvious.

As to the Co-op, I thought that they unloaded the pharmacy business some time ago, and the branches now operate under the branding of Well.

yes you're right it is a Well pharmacy ( i had to go and look) funny how it's stuck in my mind as the Co-op.

• Like 1

Our local practice employs a pharmacist who completes the reviews. The difference here he is employed by the practice and not by the pharmacy. He has repaid his own wages by reviewing prescriptions and changing medications either swapping to a cheaper brand (which admittedly has caused problems for a small minority) and also removing unwanted medications which people were quite happily ticking and continuing to recieve. There was a patient recurrently ordering their urinary catheters each month. They only need one every 3 months and had a huge stockpile all at cost to the NHS.

He has access to the total medical record as well which I think a pharmacist in a shop would not have.

Mark

The one problem we found changing to cheaper generic brands ( via very experienced Health Board pharmacists) was the coating on the pills etc.  Some patients found they were having reactions, soon swapped back to proprietry brands.  Most patients didn't even notice.

• RMweb Gold

The one problem we found changing to cheaper generic brands ( via very experienced Health Board pharmacists) was the coating on the pills etc.  Some patients found they were having reactions, soon swapped back to proprietry brands.  Most patients didn't even notice.

I'm on one pill where it has to be 'the real thing' as every time they've tried generics I've had adverse reactions but I'm on generics for a couple other drugs with no problems.

The one problem we found changing to cheaper generic brands ( via very experienced Health Board pharmacists) was the coating on the pills etc. Some patients found they were having reactions, soon swapped back to proprietry brands. Most patients didn't even notice.

I have found that the antihistamines that I currently use ( and they are not as good as what I used to use! - several different types, now discontinued) the generic brands are not as good - recently had a review with the pharmacist at my GP practice and these have now been amended on the prescription to the proprietary brand. A good result but not perfect (I am allergic to LOTS of things and have to take them all year round, not just during ‘hay fever’ season) - even these wear off after around 10-12 hours, so late at night and early morning I still suffer.....

The pharmacy review seems to be different from the G.P. review. . My G.P. has never asked me in for a review, but sometimes my prescription is a day late because a review has been flagged.

It seems the pharmacy review is just to see if your using your medication correctly. . . I was asked 3 months running to  agree to a pharmacy review, and on the third request I refused and told them to check their records!

And yes, the Co-op is now WELL Pharmacy. . . they no longer have liquorice root in a jar on the counter.

John

• RMweb Gold

Our local pharmacist went to school with my son and she is lovely.

There is no chance of me turning down a review with her.

Seriously, the review was offered and I accepted. It was well worth it, and I can only echo what others have said about the advice that was given.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have known several cases where a pharmacist saved a patient from serious damage by questioning a doctor's incorrect prescription. But they should be doing that anyway without being paid extra.

I do know however that some patients do just keep putting in repeat prescriptions long after they have stopped taking some of the medications. So the NHS does have a problem with drugs being wasted.

Interesting.

My last batch of tablets was a different brand name from the previous batch and I noticed that it had a slight reaction on my digestion. I have to take it at least an hour before I have any thing to eat or drink in order to avoid this bad feeling.

Bernard

I do know however that some patients do just keep putting in repeat prescriptions long after they have stopped taking some of the medications. So the NHS does have a problem with drugs being wasted.

Obviously not patients (like myself) who pay for their prescriptions!

I pay for my meds too, albeit by pre-payment card but still, and I have a review by the practice nurse every year. I always take my medicines, so, cynical maybe, but I suspect either box ticking to make targets or greed for the £28, or possibly both. What is really irritating me is the "you must" part, and the lack of a reason why.

My pharmacist pickup a conflict between two of my medicines getting one changed during a review so in my mind there a good thing, But my flash point at my old chemist befour I moved was putting my script in early according to them, it not being due as a month wasn't up ! Fair enough but when there telling you, you have had a month's worth of pills but you receive 28 pills in a pack that means only one month in four years do you actually receive a month's worth, rather than three days short changed of the potential 31 pills needed, this short fall builds up but try and get the pharmacy to understand that their ain't 28 days in a month! Very often

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Premium

My pharmacist pickup a conflict between two of my medicines getting one changed during a review so in my mind there a good thing, But my flash point at my old chemist befour I moved was putting my script in early according to them, it not being due as a month wasn't up ! Fair enough but when there telling you, you have had a month's worth of pills but you receive 28 pills in a pack that means only one month in four years do you actually receive a month's worth, rather than three days short changed of the potential 31 pills needed, this short fall builds up but try and get the pharmacy to understand that their ain't 28 days in a month! Very often

Hi

My prescription gets collected every four weeks so a month for me is 28 days.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

IIRC prescriptions and tablets are set around a 28 day period. they cannot work around the vagaries of how many days in a month and so repeats are 13 to a year rather than 12.

IIRC prescriptions and tablets are set around a 28 day period. they cannot work around the vagaries of how many days in a month and so repeats are 13 to a year rather than 12.

But just to confuse the situation I have tablets in packs of 28 and an inhaler that lasts for 50 days.

Keeping a check on order dates and allowing for weekends to cover the 48 hours order time is quite a task.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

It was also inconvenient for a certain section of shall we say an ethnic population, where the patient seemed to live far away & the UK paid for drugs were posted to them by the family & either used or sold.

Obviously not patients (like myself) who pay for their prescriptions!

It's surprising just how many items such as Diabetic Blood Testing Strips appear on Ebay being sold by individuals....

I'd hazard a guess that they test their blood at less regular intervals and therefore sell off the "spare" testing strips paid for by the NHS...

The mur is a service that pharmacies offer on behalf of the nhs to review people's medication. Basically to check that they know what, and why they are taking the meds they have prescribed. It is also a chance to check that they need everything. Any drug interactions should be picked up by the pharmacist or dispensers when being dispensed. But the mur is another chance to check.

I work in a pharmacy and have heard of one mur where a patient who has been getting inhalers for years hasn't been using them properly. They had been dispensing a dose into the air then sucking in the cloud... totally useless and therefore the mur helped.

Also it helps with patient waste. We had one patient who moved away and the new owner of their house brought back 5 black bin bags of stuff that we had dispensed. Some of it was over 8 years old. This person also ordered all their own medication and would regularly kick off if we didn't have something in stock which we later found out they had about a years supply of at home. I think the total amount we had to destroy ended up being over £10000

Also the majority of drugs come in 28 packs. There are a few 30's. When you get given the next collection date it will be 28, 56 or 84 days into the future. In the "pharmacy year" there are 13 months. The amount of time we waste daily on explaining that although there isn't enough tablets for a calendar month in your bag, the next prescription will be here and ready before you run out as we work to a 28 day month. It would be a he'll of a lot more work for the already over worked and underpaid doctors, dispensers and pharmacists to constantly be changing between dispensing 28,29,30 or 31 tablets rather than just mostly standardise it to 28.

• Like 2

Also the majority of drugs come in 28 packs. There are a few 30's. When you get given the next collection date it will be 28, 56 or 84 days into the future. In the "pharmacy year" there are 13 months. The amount of time we waste daily on explaining that although there isn't enough tablets for a calendar month in your bag, the next prescription will be here and ready before you run out as we work to a 28 day month. It would be a he'll of a lot more work for the already over worked and underpaid doctors, dispensers and pharmacists to constantly be changing between dispensing 28,29,30 or 31 tablets rather than just mostly standardise it to 28.

Well I am glad to hear that's the way you work

But please get brookside practice in Bristol and the nearest Jahoots to understand the 28 pill to month difference I can assure you from years of actual use of the service that the practice receptionist uses the calendar month and has refused to accept repeats with in 24 days of the previous( leaving four days for the prescription to be made up)

Thank god i moved!