Railfreight - Steel Yard

post-7252-0-54760700-1509874579.png

The downsizing of the garage project due to real life and nothing too substantial in the way of ideas on the horizon  thought it might be time to unleash a few Micro Layouts  as this seems to be the way it's going it terms of layout shrinkage.

Works - Factory - Warehouse

Traction and Stock - anything goes early Blue to Speedlink.

Static display with an entry - exit point hidden by scenic breaks.

Rail superglued down to a 10" by 30" MDF board for a Wills sheet cobbled hardstanding.set in place with double sided tape.

post-7252-0-00712600-1509874798_thumb.jpg

post-7252-0-53393000-1509874841_thumb.jpg

post-7252-0-15407500-1509874885_thumb.jpg

Low relief Northlight style structure.

post-7252-0-12168600-1509874934_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 2

OBA

post-7252-0-91820000-1509876730_thumb.jpg

PCA

post-7252-0-18528200-1509876758_thumb.jpg

SPA

post-7252-0-92076000-1509876783_thumb.jpg

All less tension couplings and 3 links fitted.

Not of my doing but ScottEFC has done an excellent job - more to come.

Heljan Jock 26 26032 Loksound fitted - detailed both ends.

post-7252-0-75566000-1509878213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 3

I know the story of life's other things getting in the way of that large model railway you've been thinking about.....
Glad to see you have bitten the bullet, and started on a micro layout - it's definitely a great way to keep the modelling mojo going, and to learn new skills and hone old skills
This looks a great project. Nice work so far - I'll be watching (when time allows) with interest :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The low relief "warehouse" has been permanently borrowed  for the Caerbannog v1.2 resurrection.

The circular has been in use.

post-7252-0-43392200-1514648308_thumb.jpg

The building is a Scenecraft winding house I got from a show for £10 -  an entrance has been opened up.

post-7252-0-77214500-1514648350_thumb.jpg

I would like to have a go at doing  something 009 in the future usual quarry based subject - this has the feel of a modern 00 version of it?  - the overall Intention is a Steel suppliers yard - a bit of drastic change of tack.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 3

I did like the low relief warehouse / factory on this little scene. Seems a shame to have "lost" it - but I'm sure it'll look good on another project...
However, I also really like the adaptation you've done here on that Scenecraft winding house....

Nice work indeed. I know Neil (Black Rat) did some nice adaptations of ready made buildings
It's another option for modellers, and one that's not explored enough IMO. Sometimes, you see such ready made structures in damaged boxes / packaging, available for reduced prices
I myself bought a Thomas the Tank building (think it's a Blacksmith's workshop?) it was cheap, just because the box was faded and a bit battered!
Mind you, I got it ages back.... and still haven't had chance to use it ;)

Thanks Marc

The "Warehouse" is now on Caerbannog in the layout thread  - I like you are short on time for builds so it is a temp easily removed fixing.

post-7252-0-53674500-1514920295_thumb.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123527-caerbannog/&do=findComment&comment=2747608

More Longsight than the Scottish theme - time for a rename.

Yes the next project is inspired by this "0" Gauge layout I saw at Blackburn - or was it Preston last year apologies to the constructors but the name escapes me - excellent to say the least - nice use of the Cargowaggon Flat and other associated Steel stock generating interest.

post-7252-0-99131400-1514920212_thumb.jpg

Did you move on Cashmores? - tempted to do the Berrys Yard stack but expensive on the Class 25 cabs :D

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 4

I was tempted to do a micro of Vic Berry's yard. I acquired a few class 25 bodies - two of them free!
As per my usual methods, I was going to cut them in half and use a mirror - to make it look like there were more bodies / cabs
I even thought of doing something for the cakebox challenge (possibly with the cakebox turned on its' end)
But alas, time won't allow me ;)

I've still got my EM Cashmores based layout - I'd sell it (and others) if RMweb still had a marketplace section
I need to clear some space for the next project, and to finish 2 others I started. My workshop is now full of other cr@p too! lol

The warehouse looks good in its' new site :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was tempted to do a micro of Vic Berry's yard. I acquired a few class 25 bodies - two of them free!

As per my usual methods, I was going to cut them in half and use a mirror - to make it look like there were more bodies / cabs

I even thought of doing something for the cakebox challenge (possibly with the cakebox turned on its' end)

But alas, time won't allow me ;)

I've still got my EM Cashmores based layout - I'd sell it (and others) if RMweb still had a marketplace section

I need to clear some space for the next project, and to finish 2 others I started. My workshop is now full of other cr@p too! lol

The warehouse looks good in its' new site :)

What other layouts are you looking to move on as I'm looking for something small to operate until I get the go ahead for the monster layout in the attic.

Sorry to hijack this thread

Cheers

Colin

What other layouts are you looking to move on as I'm looking for something small to operate until I get the go ahead for the monster layout in the attic.

Sorry to hijack this thread

Cheers

Colin

No problem Colin -  Give Marc a PM

Ian

Some progress this weekend

Cut and opened up entrance framed with H section girder strips.

Modern louvered vent added to cover the winding gear? pulley cable aperture as it has been converted to a works of sorts - plaster infill for the split section and rough reballast - low dividing wall constructed.

post-7252-0-72384900-1515958605_thumb.jpg

post-7252-0-09901000-1515958646_thumb.jpg

I worked in a similar yard 34 years back where boilers and tanks were fabricated and welded before the buildings were sold and converted to become an engineering machine shop - there was traces of a small crude narrow gauge(ish) style transportation rail embedded in what remained of the cobbled yard - not to mention the thousands of spent arc rods and various other detritus sunk in the ground  - all good inspiration.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

All up so far.

Scenic run through hidden by embankments.

Legacy Code 75 Track.ballasted ready for spray

Wills Corrugated Sheet Cladding primed ready for gap filling.

attachicon.gifIMG_2111.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2112.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2114.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2115.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2120.JPG

Raw

Ian

Hi Ian,

I love the look of the layout, "but" may I ask what the point of the yard is? there's no access to the where houses and there's not enough room to unload the wagons to a lorry etc, so why would the wagons be put into that siding fenced in and isolated?

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I love the look of the layout, "but" may I ask what the point of the yard is? there's no access to the where houses and there's not enough room to unload the wagons to a lorry etc, so why would the wagons be put into that siding fenced in and isolated?

The warehouses had an intention of Scalescene card doors fitted in a closed position and a Knightwing hoist crane added to the narrow yard.

Being a license expired Hyster - Doosan - Toyota - counterbalance driver (Class 4) I am sure anyone with a bit of skill could be well capapable of an unload length permitting if not they're re in the wrong job :D

It's gone for a new lease of life on another micro v1.2 due to a rethink and time constraints.

A circular has visited the original concept further down the thread :O

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1