RMweb

Here's my entry for the cakebox challenge. It is of course based on Stourbridge's famous little branch line that runs between the Town and Junction.

I intend to build the full length of the station, which would fit into three of the cakeboxes adjacently working as a modular layout. However, to abide by the rules, my entry will strictly be the section that contains the station building.

The Town station has been created from modifying a scalescenes kit. It still needs a lot of work including the canopy above the ticket area, lights and plenty of detailing!

post-22763-0-77205300-1509994608_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-14094300-1509994635_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-57020300-1509994655_thumb.jpg

Obviously a Class 153 is going to be far too big for one cakebox, but the little Class 139 Parry People Mover is ideal in terms of length.

I've started to research the units, and the process of 3D printing in the hope of producing one for the layout but this will be a longer term project. For now the Defender will do!

More updates to follow soon!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

It's one hell of a gradient coming down into the town!

Crazy that it's happened twice though, that picture of the bubble car with no bogie always gets me! 

Am I correct in thinking that the newer station is situated further back from the position of the old station?

Anyway, I've started to scratch build the canopy this evening, it's been a little fiddly but hopefully once painted up it should look better.

p.s. please excuse the Lego Duel of Fates behind!

post-22763-0-40608800-1510011403_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-73682700-1510011410_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Am I correct in thinking that the newer station is situated further back from the position of the old station?

Correct, the old station is where the bus station now sits, and the platform was on the other side of the track, which in turn was double track.

Peter

• Like 1

It's official now that the signs are on!

I've added a couple of appropriate posters, and I've also added a concrete box.

I have no idea what the use of the box is aside from being a very expensive poster holder. If anyone can shed light on it's use, it'd be appreciated!

post-22763-0-01084200-1510100139_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-63178500-1510100144_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-82824300-1510100154_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-31631700-1510100161_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-53832000-1510100167_thumb.jpg

post-22763-0-16977600-1510100175_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

It's official now that the signs are on!

I've added a couple of appropriate posters, and I've also added a concrete box.

I have no idea what the use of the box is aside from being a very expensive poster holder. If anyone can shed light on it's use, it'd be appreciated.

Not entirely sure, but it's rendered brick or block I think, with a concrete slab roof. You can just make out an air brick in the side, just below the sign, so it's hollow.

I suspect it's a housing for incoming the electric supply, housing meters and the like, and that if you went around the back you might find a couple of access doors.

I will have a closer look when I'm next over there, measuring up for the Cameo layout.

post-18627-0-66663000-1510129772_thumb.jpg

Peter

Edit

It also would tie in with the raised brickwork plinth at the back, the road level behind the wall is much higher, so cables would need protecting when the exit the wall on the Station side, the repairs to the footpath on the road side also look as if they are where connections have been reinstated.

post-18627-0-99767100-1510131026_thumb.png

post-18627-0-27792600-1510131143_thumb.png

Edited by peter220950

Very nice work. I have built a PPM50 using the RM drawings some years ago. It's no good for your project as it is 1:29 scale. One unusual feature is that on my garden railway running from storage siding round the garden and back to the storage siding is in scale terms a longer run than the real thing has.

All the best with your project.

Not entirely sure, but it's rendered brick or block I think, with a concrete slab roof. You can just make out an air brick in the side, just below the sign, so it's hollow.

I suspect it's a housing for incoming the electric supply, housing meters and the like, and that if you went around the back you might find a couple of access doors.

Thanks Peter! Those photos are also very helpful from that angle, I never noticed the brickwork behind the box linking in to the back wall

Very nice work. I have built a PPM50 using the RM drawings some years ago. It's no good for your project as it is 1:29 scale. One unusual feature is that on my garden railway running from storage siding round the garden and back to the storage siding is in scale terms a longer run than the real thing has.

All the best with your project.

Thanks Chris, do you have any recommendations on where to start on the PPM? If I'm totally honest I've only been going off photos so far, whilst using just the entire length and width of the PPM as a guide from the Parry site.

I can't actually find any measurements on the net of the proportions of doors/windows etc

Drawings were in Railway Modeller June 2006, if you want a copy just P.M. me, the 139 is 1 bay longer.

What would be really useful would be to find someone who has already done it in another scale,

post-18627-0-09475000-1510147836_thumb.jpg

Then see if they might have CAD drawings for the side elevations of the car

post-18627-0-44528400-1510148290_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-75873100-1510148491_thumb.jpg

But what are the chances of having that sort of luck?

Worth looking around though, you never know, you might find some Saddo who has spent the last 11 years in and out of the factory and taking pictures of PPM and 139's, they might be the sort of idiot that entered the original competition in 2006.

post-18627-0-26714500-1510149401_thumb.jpg

Peter

Peter

P.S. you might also P.M. Will Jarman, Will J of this forum, who has not only done it in N gauge, but also used to work for Parry's.

• Like 3

​That is a great model.  When I worked at Centro I had some input into the new station at Stourbridge Town.  When it was rebuilt with the "chalet" building and brickwork platform (and the glass blower statue at the entrance although I think that has now moved) the branch was shortened a bit more to provide two more bus stops in the bus station and a straighter platform.

​It's an attractive little station if operationally a bit limited!

Thanks for the info on the PPM guys!

That O gauge one looks absolutely superb!

I was never around to see the original station. I remember the old bus station used to come up much closer to the (newer) railway station where the 9 used to stop, than where it does now.

There's a nice fancy forecourt that separates them a little now, which I may model seeing as my University dissertation was on fabric tension structures!

My PPM 50 isn't so detailed but it looks fine at garden railway viewing distances. It is quite a determined little unit as shown in the video. Please note that this was an empty run so no passengers were injured during the making of this film and the driver was securely belted in place (with evo-stik). 

• Like 4