Hillport Goods

sf315

Have a great show Steve I'm sure it will be much appreciated, with standing room only in front of your display.

I'll look out for a video showing some shunt moves on the day, roll on February 2022.

Best

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking how Hillport will fit in the car I know it fits as I’ve had it all in but with the end sidings board not being paired up with another board it’s wasting a lot of space above it when loaded. 

So I've made a substantial cover for it so bags can be put on top or as the pic shows the stock boxes sit in compartments made for them. 

Roll on February and Modelrail Scotland. 

7FFC7C56-450D-4969-B483-AD1245749AF4.jpeg

• Like 3

As  you say that is a very substantial cover supporting plate which will both protect and support your stock boxes, very crafty.

Definitely a case of necessity being the mother of invention, well done.

Looking forward to a video of Hillport Goods working at Model Rail Scotland.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Latest wagon I am working on is a Dapol BEV E bolster. I’ve added the very basic cradles that some received for carrying steel coils

(designated coil P) They were put on the deck over the bogies and were in reality timber baulks fastened in place. 

I’ve used plastic strip and wood for mine. 

I have already painted the floor in differing colours. I can now start with the weathering process. 

The coils are resin cast then covered with tissue paper and painted using washes of railmatch weathered black paint. 

This will run with my 4 wheel KJO coil wagons already done as a small coil train. 

3 other Dapol E bolsters are being weathered up as well where two will be loaded with steel sections and the left other empty. 

85C509C7-6554-4B13-9825-8D6B7583AE7F.jpeg

F40C20E0-D6B3-4F85-AE4D-C2079151F985.jpeg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

03034 with a single MDV wagon with a scrap load waits for its crew to return and it’ll be off then to Cockshute sidings. 

Class 03 shunters weren’t seen around north Staffordshire but they’re my favorite shunter. So rule one applies it’s my trainset. 

Ive got the layout set up giving it a run in preparation for its first outing early next year current situation depending.  

85841E2A-7BB6-4EC2-ABE5-5D93C0B938B1.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

The one in the photo was dragged out of a shed about ten years ago and has toured France, Italy Portugal, Germany and Poland. During those trips it had the oil topped up and the ignition contacts adjusted. It looks a bit of a shed but has never been welded. 

You can do my Christmas wrapping next year too.

Finished model looking well at home on the layout, maybe just a tad more of weathering on the coils to reduce their freshness?

Happy new year Steve.

• Like 1

A view down the layout with 03371 shunting a MCO open wagon ready for inclusion in the next trip working. 

Really love these 03 shunters this one is an exceptional runner and a pleasure to shunt with. 

936FB5E4-65C9-4A57-9552-98EF22986944.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

That's a great view of Hillport Goods activity.

Did you make a video of the Hillport?  

What a cracking layout.

Best

No no video yet as I’d have to everything and there’s a bed to the right of the layouts scenic side. It would be something like a cross between a carry on film and it’s a knockout if you can remember it. 

Itl have to be when it goes out that it’ll be done. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 19:02, MrWolf said:

That battered Marina looks familiar, this one's owner drove on the Southern Region and in various parts of Africa.

Prototype for everything and all that.

IMG_20210412_161747.jpg.d9d7f092ccf5a3939449ab337aafcdbd.jpg

My Father bought a similar one. It was reliable for the era, but the back seat was as hard as a Garden Bench. I twisted my back getting out of it once. Very worrying when you are 13 years old!

Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pics as I am getting stock sorted for Modelrail Scotland and the layouts public debut. 

I am quite hopeful that the show will go ahead and I can finally show the layout. 

The loaded E bolster wagons were from a recent pic I saw on Facebook showing these wagons and a chained down load. 

The other pic is just a random shot across the end of the yard. 

I have been giving the locos I intend to use a run up and down as well. 

All goes ok hopefully see some of you at Glasgow next month. 

759DC85D-A4C8-4EF6-9207-C223506F5791.jpeg

5C48DF26-01EE-488A-8175-460D4F3EFED4.jpeg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Something I’ve been doing for a few weeks is making some ends to fit the Parkside PECO grampus wagon and converting into a Tunney. This is a GW derived steel open wagon used by the engineers dept. these lasted well into the period depicted on the layout. BR also built some and it’s this type I am intending to model. 

It is intended as a direct replacement for the kit. 

I’ve  only looked at the ends as yet the bodyside is basically the grampus with minor modifications. 

The next job is to put the rivet detail on using Archer rivet decals. 

This is the master which I’ll then use for resin casting. 

D3F1EEBA-9672-4F02-9166-322096BB58D9.jpeg

2E00509F-7135-48D5-BB45-946C4216CA40.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very nice layout and a great selection of stock. Love the Dapol bolsters with loads in the above photos. Pre covid, Glasgow was one of my regular shows. However I was thinking of giving it a miss this year. Now I'm not so sure. The chance to see the layout "in the flesh" might be just too strong. O gauge is becoming a worrying distraction for me. (Currently looking at more wagon purchases on the Tower Website!)

PJ10

• Like 1

The layout has been dismantled ready for its trip North. 

The track has been cleaned. 

Only job left is to hoover the layout off

The stock has been packed and the locos have had their wheels cleaned. Over the last couple of months I’ve been using a Gaugemaster power supply and a panel mounted controller both rated for O gauge. 

The controller has been placed into a box which was 3D printed to suit and is used as a hand held unit.  

It’ll be interesting to see how this new set up goes as it’s giving good slow running.

I’ve also got my trusty Helmsman controller which will be with us as well. 

Just some  of pics to keep people interested. 

E419C9B7-5C84-4490-8DBB-D7EF1C7414AD.jpeg

6A45E086-46C7-474F-A4FA-88D0DDC5F0EB.jpeg

512D2DAA-61CB-43D1-8530-E95CA1F5D4B6.jpeg

• Like 10

Exciting times @ Hillport goods.

Don't forget to try and bribe someone to take a video of the layout working at the SEC Glasgow over the 3 show days, if you can. 

Phew! you're going to be busy. :scared:

Good luck.

• Thanks 1