Hillport Goods

sf315

On 08/05/2023 at 18:58, sb67 said:

Hopefully I'll get to see the layout at Shenfield, I'm exhibiting there for the first time myself, I'll have to get an Operator at lunch sign so I can come and have a look. 😉

You’ll see the layout at Shenfield Steve 

your opposite us. As we set up earlier. 

11 hours ago, sf315 said:

Show time again. 

Shenfield this weekend and Stafford 

next weekend. 

Some new bits of stock will be knocking around. 

Hopefully see some of you at one of the shows. 

Steve. 

See you at Stafford next weekend.

• Like 1

Hello Steve, as you know I am very fond of your layout Hillport Goods even asking to be notified when/if it comes up for sale.

just now you are taking it to many shows and constantly adding/ improving it so not much chance of it escaping onto the open market.

With that in mind I took my self off to read all the posts I could find about it on the various forums it is on.

I learnt that it was a dc system [must of missed that] my preference is for dcc.

My mind began to tic over that I could build something similar but based on a TWIN of Hillport........................ not identical but similar.

Best

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I not posted any rolling stock pics for a bit but just about finished two of these a muck spreader on a lowfit. Being delivered to the agricultural dealership. 

The spreader is a 3D print. 

The lowfit is a Slater’s kit. 

These will be on the layout at the NEC next month we’re stand C41. 

Thanks Steve. 

DB7D97E9-0DA7-4F06-AA15-9EF5A21ED0AD.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

As Warley approaches I’ve sorted out and packed the rolling stock ready and started on wheel cleaning and checking the locos over. The 47 was done tonight. 

Looking forward to the show as it’s the layouts last show for the year with some shows already lined up for next year. 

Roll on Warley. 

1E905027-BFE9-44FE-85DA-5B7BE6038BBC.jpeg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend sees the layout at the NEC Warley show. 

I always enjoy the show as a visitor and even more as an exhibitor. 

Ive exhibited there about 10 times with mainly N gauge layouts so this will be the first time with an O gauge layout. 

Theres a few new items of rolling stock for use on the layout over the weekend and hopefully it’ll all work for us. 

Hope to see some of you and enjoy the show if your going. 

Thanks Steve 

60661584-6424-4B73-8BA6-9A913B7C8706.jpeg

B8A41D2D-61C3-47F3-AE94-D1F4CA952D68.jpeg

9BF76657-E34E-4BC0-B71F-239D5EA85D96.jpeg

69C0472B-B776-4238-88A3-87543EDE6CCA.jpeg

• Like 14

Warley done and a great weekends shunting was had. 

Thanks to the other guys who gave up there weekend to help me over the weekend much appreciated. 

Looking forward now to March and the next shows for the layout. 

Thanks as well to the public who passed on kind remarks about the layout. 

Thanks Steve. 

8365CAF4-7916-4C3F-879B-D8F313AA8AAC.jpeg

6D779831-9FDF-4C6A-A2A4-A4332C28C36D.jpeg

9ADA9B0B-5AA8-4E57-A0DD-91A886D43BCA.jpeg

2E7C80BF-8D98-48D1-BD78-158C67A2D54B.jpeg

• Like 14

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve @sf315, I enjoyed seeing Hillport Goods at Sutton Coldfield last year, and it popped up on a YouTube video I was watching last night (thanks @dcc125).

One thing I noticed was the effect you have managed to achieve on the stone footbridge (the colouring). It's exactly what I have been trying to do but not got it quite right yet. How did you do it please? I had a quick look though the history of this thread but it seems many of the photos didn't come back after RMweb's issues a couple of years ago.

Grateful for any advice. Cheers, Mark

Edited by markwilson
Clarity

Hello Mark 

The stone footbridge was painted using enamel paints with the colour hues of light brown picking out individual stones in the 3 or 4 light Browns I had. 

Weathering wise a rail match weathered black was was washed on and then Phoenix weathered wood if I remember correctly was dabbed on here and there using a bit of sponge so it stayed only on the raised surfaces. 

Have a practice on a scrap peice of stone plasticard to get the technique of dabbing as you don’t need to press on to hard. I sealed it all with railmatch Matt varnish after. 

Hope this helps. 

Steve. 

• Informative/Useful 4

On 29/01/2024 at 20:29, sf315 said:

Hello Mark 

The stone footbridge was painted using enamel paints with the colour hues of light brown picking out individual stones in the 3 or 4 light Browns I had. 

Weathering wise a rail match weathered black was was washed on and then Phoenix weathered wood if I remember correctly was dabbed on here and there using a bit of sponge so it stayed only on the raised surfaces. 

Have a practice on a scrap peice of stone plasticard to get the technique of dabbing as you don’t need to press on to hard. I sealed it all with railmatch Matt varnish after. 

Hope this helps. 

Steve. 

Thank you Steve - really helpful (and looks like others thought so too) - I’ll give that a go.

• Like 1

The layout is set up being looked over and a bit of scenic repair work being carried out. 

It’s going to be a busy March for the layout. 

First weekend it’s at the Preston show followed by Mountsorrel in Leicestershire the week after. 

A weeks break then the MIGO show at Crewe and with Easter the week after we’re at York with the layout. 

Looking forward to all the above shows and hope to meet some of you perhaps at one of them. 

Thanks Steve. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend we’re at the first of our March shows this being Preston. Details of the show are in its own  thread in exhibitions section on here. 

Hopefully see some of you there. 

Steve. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great to see this at York. Some familiar wagons 🥰 very nicely modelled and weathered. Some nice film of it operating in the York show 2024 topic.

Paul

• Like 2