Hornby Pullman Roofs

RFS

• RMweb Gold

I recently purchased 3 Hornby Pullmans and was somewhat dismayed to find they had white roofs - almost brilliant white, not even cream. They just don't look right alongside my other 2 Pullmans with grey roofs. Also all my other coaches have grey roofs too.

Has anyone managed to repaint the roofs in roof grey colour? I would imagine it would not be too difficult if the roofs can be removed to do this, but is this easy?

Thanks

The system for lighted Pullmans seems to be:

Panelled and matchboard sides - early crests - white roofs

Flush plated sides - late crests - grey roofs.

I agree the grey roofs look far more realistic and I'm pleased the new 12-wheelers have them despite apparently breaking the system by having early crests and panelled sides.

To be honest I've been a bit disappointed by their whole Pullman production effort up to now. There are Pullmans with oval windows which should be square, Pullmans with panelled sides in train packs for the period after they were plated, Pullmans in train packs with the wrong names for the period of the loco state, Pullman names incorrectly spelt, First Class Pullmans in train packs for the period after they were demoted to Third Class, white roofs, silver roofs, grey roofs.....

Added to that the Catalogues do not show the roof colours of the actual model and sometimes do not show whether they are panelled or not so you can't tell what you're buying until you open the pack.

I'm so disappointed in fact, that rather than repaint/rename them, I've just sold off my entire motley super-detail Hornby Pullman collection to start again.

This time they will have to be right for the period, right for the region and the train and have grey roofs - or they stay on the dealer's shelf.

Right now I'm back down to just one 12-wheeler for a boat-train and one happy bank manager.

The system for lighted Pullmans seems to be:

Panelled and matchboard sides - early crests - white roofs

Flush plated sides - late crests - grey roofs.

I agree the grey roofs look far more realistic and I'm pleased the new 12-wheelers have them despite apparently breaking the system by having early crests and panelled sides.

To be honest I've been a bit disappointed by their whole Pullman production effort up to now. There are Pullmans with oval windows which should be square, Pullmans with panelled sides in train packs for the period after they were plated, Pullmans in train packs with the wrong names for the period of the loco state, Pullman names incorrectly spelt, First Class Pullmans in train packs for the period after they were demoted to Third Class, white roofs, silver roofs, grey roofs.....

Added to that the Catalogues do not show the roof colours of the actual model and sometimes do not show whether they are panelled or not so you can't tell what you're buying until you open the pack.

I'm so disappointed in fact, that rather than repaint/rename them, I've just sold off my entire motley super-detail Hornby Pullman collection to start again.

This time they will have to be right for the period, right for the region and the train and have grey roofs - or they stay on the dealer's shelf.

Right now I'm back down to just one 12-wheeler for a boat-train and one happy bank manager.

Ah! I entirely agree! Although unlike you I have not sold off my collection of many and various Hornby Pullmans. It would be nice to have correct windows/panelling and grey roofs for representative sets. Shades of the Maunsell details and set numbers!

Rob

Surely you have an observation car, Forester? That particular Pullman is accuracy itself happy.gif

Surely you have an observation car, Forester? That particular Pullman is accuracy itself happy.gif

You're right, John. I do. (Where's that "embarrassed" emoticon when you need it).

I guess I didn't think to include it as a Pullman because it's so good.

But I hear even that is going to be given a partially white or silver roof (can't remember which) when it's re-released.

You're right, John. I do. (Where's that "embarrassed" emoticon when you need it).

I guess I didn't think to include it as a Pullman because it's so good.

But I hear even that is going to be given a partially white or silver roof (can't remember which) when it's re-released.

That's correct, Forester; in what they term 1947 era, with partially white roof. This IS accurate too for the start-of-season Belle, though no doubt after a few runs the white would have begun to get rather dirty.

Talking observations, I'm hoping Hornby will eventually produce the version of Sc280M in lined maroon. Now that will HAVE to be a grey roof.biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've just spent some of the money I received for my white and silver-roofed Pullmans on Antony Ford's "Pullman Profile No 2" which arrived today (absolute bargain on WH Smith's website at £16.74 as against the jacket price of £29.95).

And what is on page 198 of this book? - a glorious colour photo of the K-Type Pullman "Ibis" in service in 1963 with the brightest and cleanest silver-painted roof you've ever seen!

:unsure:

• RMweb Gold

In one of my books on the SR Central Division, there's an official BR photograph of the all-Pullman Brighton Belle: the first 5-car unit 3051 has brilliant white roofs, whilst the trailing unit has the normal grey. I assume 3051 was just out of works at the time. Still doesn't make my mixed rake look right though!

I've just spent some of the money I received for my white and silver-roofed Pullmans on Antony Ford's "Pullman Profile No 2" which arrived today (absolute bargain on WH Smith's website at £16.74 as against the jacket price of £29.95).

And what is on page 198 of this book? - a glorious colour photo of the K-Type Pullman "Ibis" in service in 1963 with the brightest and cleanest silver-painted roof you've ever seen!

unsure.gif

Exactly; it DID happen. As I said before, it'll be either a start of season shot or else a special paint for some special train. A few miles down the line and a good coating of ash (be it locomotive or volcanic in origin wink.gif ) and the brightness will soon dull down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi

Sorry to bring this up again after so long but the new Hornby Brighton Belle set is white roofed, but the expensive Golden age set is silver roofed. The Golden age set also got the bufer beams wrong as they are all painted red instead of just the driving ends, at least Hornby got that right. So is silver simply weathered white or did Brighton Belle with early Pulmman crest actually start out with silver roofs. Comments most welcome.

Regards

Sue Rose

• RMweb Premium

I believe (though wasn't around in the 1930s to see for myself!) that the Brighton Belle was released to traffic as new with all three units having silver-painted roofs.  Those would have quickly gathered dirt including soot from the numerous steam locomotives still used after electrification.  They would thus have appeared dirty grey with perhaps silver edges.  Repaints returned them to silver until the units were reliveried to b/g whereupon the roofs were painted pale grey but again got dirty quite quickly.

Owning a full train of Hornby Pullman cars I too have been frustrated at the variance in roof treatment.  Of mine three are cream, three white and four grey with the Devon Belle observation car also having a grey roof.  Since all eleven also don't like running together thanks to the drag and coupler swing issues - not to mention the current draw for the lighting even if it is minimal - they seldom go out in more than matched threes or fours anyway.

Hi

Thanks for that, I thought the Golden Age set was right, and never doubted it until Hornby's came out with white. Can't think why as you would not have run anything else with the Belle set, so why not do it silver in the first palce.

Regards, Sue

What I've tended to do - for all my roofs is spray with a humbrol Matt 67 aerosol. Mask the rest of the coach off first the result is a bitumen look and feel. I started this method being dissatisfied with Stable brush results, on Mk1 coaches after de ribbiing the roofs. I wouldn't spray onto a model with out a lot of practice first. 

But the end results are very satisfying 

Archived