Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

BR/WR Siphon G diagram O.62 in 4mm scale

Looks legit from here.

I do have a couple of RSUs in the attic, but I can't remember ever using them. It's easier having the Antex 25w to hand anyway.

When I bought my RSU it cost me £150, which will indicate how long ago it was!  I wanted to see just what it could do having paid all that money for it, and made some mistakes which is how we learn.  The 25w Antex will do most things, as will the RSU, but there are some tasks for which the Antex is better suited - tinning, seaming - and some for which the RSU is ideal - adding fine detail, getting in and out quickly with localised heat.  Some have dispensed with the conventional iron altogether.  One such is Raymond Walley, a 7mm practitioner whose website is well worth studying.  For what it's worth, my preferred standpoint is to make the RSU the first choice unless there is a compelling reason for using the Antex.

Ivan, get those RSUs out of the attic unless that is where you do your modelling!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

You have made a nice job of fitting the rainstrips with the ordinary soldering iron Geoff. It is much easier with the RSU, it takes about 5 minutes tops to fit them all when you use it. There is also the option of using 0.45mm wire which is also described in the instructions, this takes a bit longer though but once finished doesn't look too bad. The photo of the painted model on the first page of this thread has rain strips made from wire and there are holes in the roof at the correct positions to allow you do this accurately.

Just to keep you all up to speed, I have ordered the first test etch of the diagram O.33 version and should get it in a couple of weeks. I have added sufficient parts to the etch to allow either the Dean Churchward or the 'long brake handle' version to be built as well as some half etched holes on the inside of the roof to allow for the diagram O.59 version to be built from this kit.

Ian

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wish I'd known you were going to do one earlier!!  :-))

Any chance you could stick em all on a cd and post it to me? I tried to download one of the photos and I couldn't get it to work.

Ian

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having just completed one of these, I thought I’d show a summary of the build, given most of the images on the previous pages seem to have been lost in the big server failure of a year of two back. I did two Siphons at the same time, the other being an O.11 outside framed example.

They arrived with me, beautifully packed and labelled, everything except wheels, and the roof already rolled. Probably the most complete and comprehensive rolling stock kits I’ve ever made.

GWSiphonO62(01)-Partslaidout.jpg.020b37280929a4d125d512e573ef258f.jpg

I did the sides and ends first. Ordinarily it makes sense to do the chassis first, but on some other manufacturers’ builds I have found it pays to build the body first, as frequently the chassis sits inside the body and it’s easier to file a floor pan slightly shorter than make a body longer! I need not have worried as the etches were perfectly sized.

GWSiphonO62(03)-Sidesandends.jpg.ec93f711ccc0486bad0c34aa38d0704c.jpg

The chassis was made in stages, generally I like to make things as sub-assemblies and then attach them once they are all done, in my mind kits seem quicker to build this way.

GWSiphonO62(04)-Underframe.jpg.af1537c1ea536425e75819eb08d188c5.jpg

And then the main bits done prior to painting. Apologies, in the image below the scissor gangways are for the O.11 kit.

GWSiphonO62(05)-Priortopainting.jpg.b68242863992fe04f1cf1854d3173aa4.jpg

A final test build before a scrub with jif and toothbrush

GWSiphonO62(06)-CompletePriortopainting.jpg.0225bf6100d48bde92992c3d0e1fec90.jpg

And then painted in Railmatch BR Crimson with transfers by Cambridge Custom Transfers.

GWSiphonO62(07)-Complete.jpg.95d5447509ca7355e79ebc9023d1e957.jpg

The previous thread pages and instructions recommend the use of an RSU, I don't possess one of those, all of the soldering was done with a standard temperature-controlled iron using the smallest bit and least amount of solder I could get away with.

A superb kit and a really rewarding build.

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
Add a few words.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12