OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

I'm not sure it would be right for me to request lifting this or tilting that, sandwiches on tables or sick bags when I'll be running it on my 8*4 roundy, based on a preserved line, with no overhead wires, where 3rd rail trains run along magically with no 3rd rail.

That would be a good argument to stick to the old Hornby one. As I get older, I find it harder to justify spending these kind of sums buying things that don,t fit in. Becoming less rule number 1 and more serious... Oh dear!

For the moment I tell myself that the layout is "fitted for but not with" over head wires and 3rd rails (I do have them, just need to fit them some time).

OO and N gauge APT-P Crowdfunding update

Since this project was announced in N gauge at Warley 2017, and in OO a week later, we have been inundated by orders for each version we propose producing. Subsequently adding a shorter Black window surround version (set 003) to keep the balance of models ‘just right’, demand has been extremely encouraging.

OO, as expected, leads the N gauge versions by a considerable margin but as Mick and Dave both model N we hope the N gauge one will get over the line with crowdfunding, but it will probably take a bit longer than the OO one to do so and as such we will monitor this accordingly.

However, taking into account this is being written in only the 4th weekend since the announcement we are pleased with the response for both gauges.

Updates will come as and when we have news, but for now, we have sourced the manufacturer for the train, specified motor type, drive system type, had basic designs made by Dave for the Tilting system, and for the electrical connections through the train.

We are constantly refining details of the mechanism etc, and this refining will pay dividends for the model once tooling starts.

As to the APT open day at Crewe? This will happen once we reach the figure required for Cad-Cam / tooling / production to start, and will be announced as and when.

For those attending the Model Rail Scotland in early 2018 , please pop by the Durham Trains of Stanley stand and speak to Mick about the project, Dave will also try and make the weekend to give support.

If you have ordered, thank you. If not and are thinking of doing so, please do, the project needs numbers to get across the line, and once there you will more than probably be one of a very select ownership club, as we do not envisage this model going into further production for model shop release at any time in the future, so you will have a very special model.

All the best Christmas and New Year’s wishes to you all.

Please note this is a DJM crowdfunding project and DJM will be invoicing, designing, and finally supplying the finished model and is therefore totally responsible for your investment.

Also: Please Note: Any 'pure' crowdfunding venture is an investment with no guarantee of return, and your invested capital (deposit payments) are at risk. Please consider carefully whether you wish to partake in this venture before ordering.

Mick Worrell (DToS) & Dave Jones (DJmodels Ltd)

• Like 11

Hi DJM Dave

Looking forward to seeing the New APT-P, What time period are we expecting from the 25% Deposit in May 2018 till when we see it on the door step... any idea's?

Also Dave, how many monthly payments is the remainder over, after paying the deposit in May 2018...? from the email I received, didn't put a team on it...? 

so looking forward to the Iconic Train.

regards

Jamie

Hi DJM Dave

Will we have an option to purchase singular coaches, like Buffet Cars etc. that the smaller units don't come with...? it would be a nice offer for the future side, more so due to the price it would be great to build it up to the full length.

I have placed an order with you already for the 14-car set, so excited on this release.  I'm looking forward to the centre cars and Buffet cars to, which is why I asked the question above for those who may want the larger versions, but need to slowly build it up over time to reach the size they want.  I would certainly buy extra coaches if they were on offer to do so!

Regard

Jamie

Hi DJM Dave

Will we have an option to purchase singular coaches, like Buffet Cars etc. that the smaller units don't come with...? it would be a nice offer for the future side, more so due to the price it would be great to build it up to the full length.

I have placed an order with you already for the 14-car set, so excited on this release.  I'm looking forward to the centre cars and Buffet cars to, which is why I asked the question above for those who may want the larger versions, but need to slowly build it up over time to reach the size they want.  I would certainly buy extra coaches if they were on offer to do so!

Regard

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The APT is what I consider a ‘one hit wonder’ where crowdfunding will pay for the tooling and the sets. I do not see a market with offering coaches either numbered or un-numbered to allow sets to be ‘grown’ from what is purchased, as who will pay for and store the coaches on the off chance someone ‘might’ want 1 every so often out of the hundreds we would have to order to reach minimum order quantities? Then there’s single boxes for each one to keep them safe etc.

So no, no options for this other that just full sets. I’ve said I might want a power car for an etc test train, but again even that’s unlikely due to minimum orders etc.

Please note this is a DJM crowdfunding project and DJM will be invoicing, designing, and finally supplying the finished model and is therefore totally responsible for your investment.

Also: Please Note: Any 'pure' crowdfunding venture is an investment with no guarantee of return, and your invested capital (deposit payments) are at risk. Please consider carefully whether you wish to partake in this venture before ordering.

Cheers

Dave

Hi DJM Dave

Looking forward to seeing the New APT-P, What time period are we expecting from the 25% Deposit in May 2018 till when we see it on the door step... any idea's?

Also Dave, how many monthly payments is the remainder over, after paying the deposit in May 2018...? from the email I received, didn't put a team on it...? 

so looking forward to the Iconic Train.

regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

If the apt financially crosses the line. Deposits will be asked for then (don’t panic at the back, it’s still got a ways to go yet), the remainder will be asked for as and when each ‘milestone’ in development is reached. This could be quite a few months between payments or some slightly quicker than others due to various factors and possible cad / tooling alterations that might be needed.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

8 would be a nice length, but this may well be a limited edition. What if you later get the chance to run the full length train, on a club layout or something, but can't because the extra coaches have become unavailable?

Edit: I can only fit 10 in my fiddle yard (which would still look nice) but have just ordered the 14.

I've done the same thing and ordered the 14 coach version as with it being a build-to-order I assume it'll be hard to source additional coaches after production. Better to have too many than too few! 

I model HO scale German and Austrian so this doesn't even fit within my modelling scope but I have to have one. And for the people complaining about the prices, have a look at the continental stuff and you'll see this is priced fairly considering the specifications. 

Good point about assembly, I have a few tricks that I hope will surprise and amaze you with it’s cunning, foxy, wise old owl, sage of yore..........oh who am I kidding. I’m trying for a very easy coupling system bespoke to the APT, there I’ve said it.

I don’t want anything that takes the fun and enjoyment out of it, and long assembly processes will.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, have you seen the arrangement on HO scale Piko multiple units? They use a split articulated bogie design with a built in 8 pin connector. Simple, effective and easy to couple and disconnect. I have some of these if you'd like photos? 

Dave, have you seen the arrangement on HO scale Piko multiple units? They use a split articulated bogie design with a built in 8 pin connector. Simple, effective and easy to couple and disconnect. I have some of these if you'd like photos? 

Hi mate,

That would be great thank you as i'm always looking to improve if it can be done.

Please PM me some.

cheers

Dave

Hi All

When I first saw the APT-P, it was with the full yellow ends but it's the Black fronted APT seemed to grow on me far quicker than what the Yellow fronted one did, despite it being the first APT I saw. 

Shame you will not be selling a Front two Car Set with just Yellow Ends ONLY, as the 10-Car and 14-Car set only come with Black ends.

I agree jamesinAsia with regards to your own quote...

"I've done the same thing and ordered the 14 coach version as with it being a build-to-order I assume it'll be hard to source additional coaches after production. Better to have too many than too few!"

I've gone for the 14 Car Set to, for that same reason you have jamesinAsia, I just need a Yellow End Set of the APT now so I can run in both Black Fronted or the Yellow Fronted. I guess the only option I can see is to order either the 6 Car Set or the 7 Car Set that have the Yellow Ends.

DJM Dave

For you, I'm guessing it's better I order Both 14-Car then either one of 6 Car or 7 Car Sets with Yellow Ends, that way it helps you to achieve the numbers you are after to make the dream a reality.

Another Question for you DJM Dave.... the Bachmann Blue 6-Car Pullman Set, all coaches had to be in exact order for it to run...

so my question to you Dave is... Will the APT coach Sets have to be in a certain order for the APT to Run or can we chop 'n' change the coaches in any order we want to for it to run, or maybe run it as a 8 car set etc...?

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Hi All

When I first saw the APT-P, it was with the full yellow ends but it's the Black fronted APT seemed to grow on me far quicker than what the Yellow fronted one did, despite it being the first APT I saw. 
Shame you will not be selling a Front two Car Set with just Yellow Ends ONLY, as the 10-Car and 14-Car set only come with Black ends.

I agree jamesinAsia with regards to your own quote...
"I've done the same thing and ordered the 14 coach version as with it being a build-to-order I assume it'll be hard to source additional coaches after production. Better to have too many than too few!"

I've gone for the 14 Car Set to, for that same reason you have jamesinAsia, I just need a Yellow End Set of the APT now so I can run in both Black Fronted or the Yellow Fronted. I guess the only option I can see is to order either the 6 Car Set or the 7 Car Set that have the Yellow Ends.

DJM Dave
For you, I'm guessing it's better I order Both 14-Car then either one of 6 Car or 7 Car Sets with Yellow Ends, that way it helps you to achieve the numbers you are after to make the dream a reality.

Another Question for you DJM Dave.... the Bachmann Blue 6-Car Pullman Set, all coaches had to be in exact order for it to run...
so my question to you Dave is... Will the APT coach Sets have to be in a certain order for the APT to Run or can we chop 'n' change the coaches in any order we want to for it to run, or maybe run it as a 8 car set etc...?

Regards
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Good question, and yes, if you buy a 14 car set you can shorten it as you see fit, to run a test train configuration or anything currently offered by the crowdfunding, (except change of black window surrounds), by merely leaving a coach or 6 out.

However, please remember that certain coaches must be in the set due to the articulation joining them to adjacent coaches.
So yes you can in short, run a shortened set from a long one.

As for order they come in, this is sorted by the need for a trailer brake car , motor car, and a driving trailer car, so really anything else you want to add to make it longer than a 5 car, you can up to the 14 cars.
All half sets are numbered in a certain way so you can easily see which set coach belongs with each half set for re-asssembly at any time.

Please take a look at the pdf train configuration I posted a couple of weeks back and you should be able to visualise what i’m Badly explaining here.

Cheers
Dave

• Like 2

Hi DJM Dave

Do all the Coaches have on-board Lighting to...?

Will the space for the Speaker be in two Centre Powered Cars, whether its a Dummy or Powered Car...?

Finally, with regards to this 'crowdfunding' that you have spoken about, I'm not sure if I've misunderstood it to be... is that a physical event we can attend if so when and where or are you referring to the total numbers ordered placed and whether the funding will be available for the APT to have the go ahead and be made etc. based on total number of orders placed... without the orders, it wouldn't be possible to achieve!

Can't tell you just how exciting this project is...

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi Jamie,

Yes all coaches will have interior lighting as standard.

There will be a crowdfunded party once we have crossed the line for funding the model, to be held at and in the APT at Crewe. You will be given presentations on the real thing, the model, experience the 1980’s tilt mechanism working, have some drink and a sand which and see the laser scanning happen in front of you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

So you're going to 3D scan the APT whilst there are people sitting in it? It'll be great if you're going to have 3D scanned volunteers sitting in the seats! That'll be a first in railway modelling!

EDIT: Grammar...

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

Hi DJM Dave

Sounds like a fun day out for the APT enthusiasts, I take it, you will say when that event will be taking place here on this thread...?

I'm sure we can fill the APT at Crewe 10 times over, it will look like one of those trains that you see on TV in foreign lands where there are people on the roof of the train, hanging on the back, out the gaps between each coach etc... :no:

I look forward to being part of it and seeing the 3D sandwiches haha 

Jamie

OR...

It would be good to create a World Record for the Most number of people on a APT-P, or would that be the most RMWeber's on an APT...? :no:

Jamie

you might be going some to set any records fitting everyone in the remaining APT-P when the full 14 car ones were running presumably with bums on all seats at times. Crush loading anyone? ... ;)

N & OO Gauge Crowdfunded APT Press release Friday 12th January 2018

With it now being 7 weeks since the surprise announcement at the Warley MRC 2017 exhibition, it is time for a progress report.

Both DJModels Ltd and Durham Trains of Stanley are very pleased with progress so far with OO, running at over 65% of the total required to be self funding in all aspects achieved, and more orders coming in on a daily basis.

The N gauge is, surprisingly, just over 25% funded so far but it is hoped that as more become aware of the project they will jump on board and order.

Adverts will soon start to appear in the press pushing the project forward into modellers consciousness, and press releases will continue to be released as we go along.

For those that do not know, this model promises to be the train a lot of you have always wished for, and to that aim we have specified and had agreed the specification which is available online, but a few things do need to be reiterated here.

Namely,

A working tilting mechanism in both gauges, Next18 or higher decoder socket, On board DCC sound capability, directional lighting, internal car lighting throughout, heavy metal chassis and gearing based on the best of Japanese / American Practice in design and construction, Seats with correct tartan seat and seat back design and colours, Painted and finished buffet car, fully modelled and painted cab interior with cab lighting, removable nose with accessory pack containing buffers and lifting arm for nose and NEM coupling for those that wish this feature, 5 pole skew wound motor with flywheels and a host of other fine detail you would expect for such a prestigious model.

Design still goes on in the background as it is felt that working through the design features of the model now, will give us a ‘head start’ on the model and testing before the model goes into tooling. However the thinking process on how we can make this model even better goes on, and we welcome any ideas our customers might have to help develop what could be the ultimate model electric train made.

There will be regular updates from this moment forward, and once we reach the line, and hopefully cross it, we will organise the laser scanning party at Crewe Heritage Centre.

Best regards

Dave Jones (DJModels Ltd) 

• Like 2

N & OO Gauge Crowdfunded APT Press release Friday 12th January 2018

With it now being 7 weeks since the surprise announcement at the Warley MRC 2017 exhibition, it is time for a progress report.

Both Durham Trains of Stanley and DJModels Ltd are very pleased with progress so far with OO, running at over 65% of the total required to be self funding in all aspects achieved, and more orders coming in on a daily basis.

The N gauge is, surprisingly, just over 25% funded so far but it is hoped that as more become aware of the project they will jump on board and order.

Adverts will soon start to appear in the press pushing the project forward into modellers consciousness, and press releases will continue to be released as we go along.

For those that do not know, this model promises to be the train a lot of you have always wished for, and to that aim we have specified and had agreed the specification which is available online, but a few things do need to be reiterated here.

Namely,

A working tilting mechanism in both gauges, Next18 or higher decoder socket, On board DCC sound capability, directional lighting, internal car lighting throughout, heavy metal chassis and gearing based on the best of Japanese / American Practice in design and construction, Seats with correct tartan seat and seat back design and colours, Painted and finished buffet car, fully modelled and painted cab interior with cab lighting, removable nose with accessory pack containing buffers and lifting arm for nose and NEM coupling for those that wish this feature, 5 pole skew wound motor with flywheels and a host of other fine detail you would expect for such a prestigious model.

Design still goes on in the background as it is felt that working through the design features of the model now, will give us a ‘head start’ on the model and testing before the model goes into tooling. However the thinking process on how we can make this model even better goes on, and we welcome any ideas our customers might have to help develop what could be the ultimate model electric train made.

There will be regular updates from this moment forward, and once we reach the line, and hopefully cross it, we will organise the laser scanning party at Crewe Heritage Centre.

Best regards

Mick Worrell (Durham Trains of Stanley)

Dave Jones (DJModels Ltd) 

Just a few questions:

How will the tilt work if it's DCC ready? Is this automatic or will it only come DCC fitted?

If the train is going to be towed, is there going to some sort of switch to isolate the tilt mechanism?

However the thinking process on how we can make this model even better goes on, and we welcome any ideas our customers might have to help develop what could be the ultimate model electric train made.

A working pantograph perhaps?

The ability to switch between night and day headlights via a function button (DCC only).

Edited by Ryan91
  • Like 2