OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Hi all,

First off it's great to have the set numbers and spec sorted, but I am very confused about one thing, that being OO-0003, the 7 car set with black windows.

Four of the cars of the formation are great, one surviving power cars and both surviving DTS cars and one of the TBF's, but the rest makes no sense. The set numbers are off for the two remaining coaches and the other power car in the consist and there is no TRSB, a massive disappointment for me.

How are they off?

You have to have a 481xx (DTS) at each end, and a 486xx (TBF) attached to the non driving motor, this set has 2 490xx (non driving motors) in the middle so that is 6 coaches taken care of, then there is a 482xx (TS) to make it up to 7 coaches. The easiest way is to work outwards from the 490xx non driving motor(s).

Four coaches are from set 03 and three coaches are from set 06

Edited by royaloak

Quick question Dave....

Noticed a small discrepancy between your train configuration document and what’s advertised on DToS website... the 10 car set, how many powered power cars are there? Website says 2, your document says 1....

Thanks

Andrew

• Like 1

How are they off?

You have to have a 481xx (DTS) at each end, and a 486xx (TBF) attached to the non driving motor, this set has 2 490xx (non driving motors) in the middle so that is 6 coaches taken care of, then there is a 482xx (TS) to make it up to 7 coaches. The easiest way is to work outwards from the 490xx non driving motor(s).

Four coaches are from set 03 and three coaches are from set 06

Hi,

It's off as the set has been done to (mostly) represent the preserved set at Crewe. The discrepancies are 49003 (NDM), 48606 (TBF) and 48203 (TS) which are not preserved. For the actual formation, the first two are ok as straight renumbers (49002 NDM and 48602 TBF) but there is a TS in place of TRSB 48404.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

It's off as the set has been done to (mostly) represent the preserved set at Crewe. The discrepancies are 49003 (NDM), 48606 (TBF) and 48203 (TS) which are not preserved. For the actual formation, the first two are ok as straight renumbers (49002 NDM and 48602 TBF) but there is a TS in place of TRSB 48404.

Cheers,

Never seen any mention that this set was to replicate the preserved set, indeed quite the opposite with Dave saying they had been looking at images of sets running.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Hi,

Cheers,

Oh, I ddnt know that.

It is listed in normal formation.

Never seen any mention that this set was to replicate the preserved set, indeed quite the opposite with Dave saying they had been looking at images of sets running.

Roy

Hi Roy,

It may not have been mentioned but it is what it is. The initial request for a six / seven car set with black windscreen surround came from myself in an email conversation with Mick, with the preserved set mooted as the base / reason for this and the DTS numbers are those I requested. If these are cars that formed the in-service half sets for the chosen DTS's then fair enough, but I would have liked to see a TRSB included proper.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

It might just be me Dave , I’m trying to open these on an iPad, but none of the files will open up for me .

I'm using an iPad and the files worked fine. The APT configurations page someone mentioned are pretty good too, worth having a look at.

Has anyone answered which type of pantograph will be supplied with each of the sets?

Andi

And more importantly, will it clip straight into the top of the old Hornby so that people who have lost theirs can replace  it?

Oooops Hat, coat I'm off.

• RMweb Premium

I may be in a very small minority here so this may be rejected out of hand, but... I notice that if that one buys the black framed 14 car set, it isn’t possible to buy an all yellow front set without duplicating one of the half set numbers - would it be possbike to look at a combination that prevents this little conundrum?

Edited by amwells

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy,

It may not have been mentioned but it is what it is. The initial request for a six / seven car set with black windscreen surround came from myself in an email conversation with Mick, with the preserved set mooted as the base / reason for this and the DTS numbers are those I requested. If these are cars that formed the in-service half sets for the chosen DTS's then fair enough, but I would have liked to see a TRSB included proper.

Cheers,

Fair enough. I would however, point out that the preservation set does not run. The benefit for many of the six / seven car sets is that they are of a size that can be run on many people's layouts, and that having sets representative of those that did run in six/seven car configurations is likely to be of equal importance when compared to those who wish for the preservation set. I imagine that Dave and Mick will never meet all of the needs, whatever they do.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I may be in a very small minority here so this may be rejected out of hand, but... I notice that if that one buys the black framed 14 car set, it isn’t possible to buy an all yellow front set without duplicating one of the half set numbers - would it be possible to look at a combination that prevents this little conundrum?

Question: Can't you just renumber the model? Ok, it might be hard to renumber 7 carriages to avoid duplicates but surely it's achievable. Or maybe you just don't want to accidentally destroy a £700 model!

EDIT: Why did I write 'possbike?' NICE ONE AUTOCORRECT!

Anyway, cramming all of these needs isn't going to be possible, at least without extreme manufacturing expenses. Surely we can take compromises, right? And even if the detail is super high people are still going to attempt Super Detailing projects with the models, so why bother cram so much into it anyway?

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

Question: Can't you just renumber the model? Ok, it might be hard to renumber 7 carriages to avoid duplicates but surely it's achievable. Or maybe you just don't want to accidentally destroy a £700 model!

EDIT: Why did I write 'possbike?' NICE ONE AUTOCORRECT!

Anyway, cramming all of these needs isn't going to be possible, at least without extreme manufacturing expenses. Surely we can take compromises, right? And even if the detail is super high people are still going to attempt Super Detailing projects with the models, so why bother cram so much into it anyway?

I could remember them, but I have many other things to do, and if there’s time to address it and it adds a sale, then why not suggest it to the team making this possible.

It’s nothing to do with adding anything to manufacturing expenses, the numbers have only just been published, we are nowhere near tooling let alone decoration! Anyway, if it’s not a flyer, that’s ok, but thought it worth suggesting, in case anyone else saw this as a conundrum that could be solved at zero cost.

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough. I would however, point out that the preservation set does not run. The benefit for many of the six / seven car sets is that they are of a size that can be run on many people's layouts, and that having sets representative of those that did run in six/seven car configurations is likely to be of equal importance when compared to those who wish for the preservation set. I imagine that Dave and Mick will never meet all of the needs, whatever they do.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I've recieved further email correspondence to confirm that the running point is the case of the selected formation and thus will stick

Cheers,

I may be in a very small minority here so this may be rejected out of hand, but... I notice that if that one buys the black framed 14 car set, it isn’t possible to buy an all yellow front set without duplicating one of the half set numbers - would it be possbike to look at a combination that prevents this little conundrum?

Minority maybe but not alone, I have a 14 car set ordered to get the black surrounds and a 7 car set to get the yellow ends... I changed up from my original order of a 6 car set and then I saw the running nimbers yesterday I thought B****r! i'm going to have to change again to get different running numbers but as you say, thats not possible either :( I don't wan't two same running numbers and I don't want to do any renumbering on something like this so I may end up cancelling the 7 car set and just have the 14 car one! Such a shame :(

Edited by 37081LochLong

Many thanks Dave for providing answers at post 266 to the questions posed at post 259.

My only problem now is having to wait until Jan/Feb to confirm my order (due to prior financial commitments.... builder and roofer take note!!!).

I desperately want a 14 car set and I want it now... so much in fact I might scweem and scweem until I make myself sick.... and I can.

Seriously though, if it is as good as the APT-E from Rapidoand having confirmed that the price is fixed and will not rise, this will be an opportunity too good to miss.

Wishing you all the best with this project and will Most Definitely commit in the New Year (wife already given permission).

So come on Guys... and Girls!!!!  lets get as many signed up as we can so that  1. we can ensure this happens and on time  2. no losses are incurred due to lack of financial backing.

After all Crowd Funding could become the only means of getting those unique/specific items produced..... who's up for a Radstock Sentinel next ???

Yours Aye,

Giz.

• Like 1

Quick question Dave....

Noticed a small discrepancy between your train configuration document and what’s advertised on DToS website... the 10 car set, how many powered power cars are there? Website says 2, your document says 1....

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew its 2 power cars 1 x powered = 49006  1 x dummy 49003 City of Derby hope this helps.

I know that to some the devil is in the detail and at this price who can blame them? I'm not sure it would be right for me to request lifting this or tilting that, sandwiches on tables or sick bags when I'll be running it on my 8*4 roundy, based on a preserved line, with no overhead wires, where 3rd rail trains run along magically with no 3rd rail.