Which Princess Coronation Pacifics have you got?

Robin Brasher

A few more for you all, firstly 46220, then one of 46242, I am sure I read on this or another thread that someone with a "City of Nottingham" wanted to change it to another, beware, this was the only "red 'un" which had the non streamlned footplate and a de-streamlined tender, 46242 would be one of the few candidates to use this combination, but would need the full repaint!

Finally, two of 46246, one as a "semi" the smokebox retained to Spring 1960, and, then, of course one of it after conversion.

post-2402-0-29761500-1512501057_thumb.jpg

post-2402-0-42104100-1512501072_thumb.jpg

post-2402-0-55663300-1512501088_thumb.jpg

post-2402-0-65939800-1512501103_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Theres not a lot wrong with the previous Hornby offerings as the above four pics prove.

Side by side with my new Stanier there is minimum detailing required to bring these excellent models up to a high standard.

The above locos will run side by side with the latests ones on our layout and I bet few who view it will know the difference.

To the experienced eye the giveaway is the proper dished Stanier pattern drivers of course and the one thing for me that justifies the purchase however I would bet many will not even recognise these.

The almost obsessive way that these latest locos are sought and the high premiums being paid on top of the rrp might suggest that there was not until now a quality Duchess pacific on the market but as the pics prove this was never the case.

If I can arrange it I will photograph the new Sir William with the existing Hornby conversion by ScRSG.  

Its quite likely there might be a few of the originals on e bay soon as modellers start offloading their old stock so a few bargains to be had.

Ironically for all my praise of the originals I am one off the guys likely to be offloading a 'Chester' new and in the box to be replaced by hopefully Salford when its available but things like the wheels do matter to me so I am prepared to dig deep.

Dave.

Dave.  

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've got a Wrenn blue City of Glasgow , because as a boy I always lusted over the Wrenn catalogue but the models were out of reach financially. Bought one second hand last year.   I run the 2001 City of Nottingham which I think looks superb and recently donated another 1990s Hornby one to a Colleague who is just starting in Model Railways. Tender powered but looks good in BR Maroon

In terms of pure Princess Pacifics, again have a Hornby 2001+ one and my good old 1971 Princess Elizabeth. Hopelessly inaccurate and short compared to the real thing but as it was a Christmas Present from my parents its special

Oh forgot, I've got a Streamlined Duchess of Gloucester too

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

Spot on post, I've just picked up two brand new, previous edition model Duchess's (City of Liverpool and Bradford) for £75 a piece with free p+p.

Really excellent models, which are more sturdy than the latest release and run superbly.

Well done that was certainly a bargain!

It doesn't take too much work to raise the existing locos to very close to the standard of the new ones as the pics by ScRSG show.

An expert in Duchess pacifics..he has models of them all!..so if yo are renumbering our even keeping as original but just want to check accuracy ask him what small individual details might be added to accurately portray that member of the class.

He also employs a mod to the rear truck to disguise the daylight and of course he weathers the finished article which is your preference but as you can see they are superb models..and at the price you paid £75 each you could almost have three for the price of a Stanier.

Now thats a bargain!

Dave. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done that was certainly a bargain!

It doesn't take too much work to raise the existing locos to very close to the standard of the new ones as the pics by ScRSG show.

An expert in Duchess pacifics..he has models of them all!..so if yo are renumbering our even keeping as original but just want to check accuracy ask him what small individual details might be added to accurately portray that member of the class.

He also employs a mod to the rear truck to disguise the daylight and of course he weathers the finished article which is your preference but as you can see they are superb models..and at the price you paid £75 each you could almost have three for the price of a Stanier.

Now thats a bargain!

Dave.

I dare not say what I paid for 46236 City of Bradford only a couple of months ago! ☺️

It was not :)

To be honest Mike, it was a shock to me the price the shop advertised these at.

Maybe they didn't factor in that Hornby had underestimated demand for the new model and that they would be stuck with old stock on the shelf.

Certain parts on the new version are carried over from the previous model which speaks volumes.

I am intrigued by the 46236 R3241 'City of Bradford' being, or becoming, rare.   

There is no doubt that the new Duchess is a better model, wheels, paint, cab, front detail, tender, and other things but the 'old' versions are by no means poor, especially when treated to detailing by actual modelling or as in my case picture editing. Even as they are they are very attractive. The quietest smoothest mechanisms I have ever come across are in Duchess and Princess models c2004-6 which is rather odd, possibly a subjective thing going on... I just test-ran a 2005 s/h Princess and it was utterly smooth at all speeds and quite inaudible.

I was expecting the second-hand market to fill with 'old' versions but it has not proven to be the case, just try to buy a new 46236!

typo edit

p.s. I love a hunt for a rare model!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

6220 Coronation x 2

6221 Queen Elizabeth

6224 Princess Alexandra

6225 Duchess Of Gloucester

46226 Duchess of Norfolk

6227 Duchess of Devonshire

6229 Duchess of Hamilton x 2

6233 Duchess of Sutherland x 2

6234 Duchess of Abercorn

6235 City of Birmingham

6239 City of Chester

6242 City of Glasgow

6243 City of Lancaster

46244 King George VI

6245 City of London

46245 City of London

6246 City of Manchester

6251 City of Nottingham

6252 City of Leicester

6256 Sir William A Stanier F.R.S

It could be more than that, I'll have to check my stock in the shed.

Those are a mix of streamliners (6220, 21, 24, 25, 29, 39)

Stock for my 47 Crewe North layout (6220, 27, 29, 33, 34, 35, 42, 43, 45, 46, 51, 52, 56)

And some in BR colours (46244 and 45)

My aim is by the end of my life (I'm only 30, so hopefully I've got a while yet!) I will have all 37 as they were at the end of 1947 (plus I'll do the 38th, Salford, even though she wasn't built until the beginning of BR) currently I'm concentrating on completing all of the Crewe North locos, as well as having Coronation as a Royal Engine, which is nearly done. 6256 is well under way to becoming LMS Black also as we speak.

Here are a few of mine.... with my unique Duke

post-3094-0-18385400-1512698897_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-82555800-1512698921_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-88905200-1512698990_thumb.jpg

post-3094-0-47558900-1512699047.jpg

• Like 6

Lovely looking models. How do you get the greasey/wet look one the cylinders?

Thanks Farren,

It can be achieved through a few different means, gloss varnish being my earlier product of choice, but now i use AK Interactive's "Fuel Stains" mix, which is a slightly brownish liquid that i brush on neat.

For a more dried on stain i use a old dried out pot of Humbrol Metacote Gunmetal to give the grease/oil a dry built up mucky appearence. I also use Daler Rowney Gouache with that for light streaks. There is a photo of a Compound of mine in the weathering topic "Scared of Weathering" that shows that technique on the cylinders.

• Thanks 1

I am intrigued by the 46236 R3241 'City of Bradford' being, or becoming, rare.   

There is no doubt that the new Duchess is a better model, wheels, paint, cab, front detail, tender, and other things but the 'old' versions are by no means poor, especially when treated to detailing by actual modelling or as in my case picture editing. Even as they are they are very attractive. The quietest smoothest mechanisms I have ever come across are in Duchess and Princess models c2004-6 which is rather odd, possibly a subjective thing going on... I just test-ran a 2005 s/h Princess and it was utterly smooth at all speeds and quite inaudible.

I was expecting the second-hand market to fill with 'old' versions but it has not proven to be the case, just try to buy a new 46236!

typo edit

p.s. I love a hunt for a rare model!

Some excellent and inspiring models photographed on this thread.

Rob, your comment about the mechanisms is interesting. An ebay foray a week or so ago netted City of Chester for £68, probably never run before, but the valve gear mangled on the first curve of its test run! A complete strip down followed, adjusting back to backs, judicious bending of rods, and also adding spacers behind the front drivers to control sideplay, plus clearing out what seemed like some quite old and congealed grease. Careful lubrication and a running in session this morning resulted in what is now a very silky, quiet and powerful runner indeed. Maybe this is from the era to which you refer, R2312.

I'm now intending to try the mod. outlined by ScRSG in the link from #33 above, along with better bogie wheels, cylinder drains etc.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

Rob, your comment about the mechanisms is interesting. An ebay foray a week or so ago netted City of Chester for £68, probably never run before, but the valve gear mangled on the first curve of its test run! A complete strip down followed, adjusting back to backs, judicious bending of rods, and also adding spacers behind the front drivers to control sideplay, plus clearing out what seemed like some quite old and congealed grease. Careful lubrication and a running in session this morning resulted in what is now a very silky, quiet and powerful runner indeed. Maybe this is from the era to which you refer, R2312.

I'm now intending to try the mod. outlined by ScRSG in the link from #33 above, along with better bogie wheels, cylinder drains etc.

John.

Thanks John,

That's a very interesting post given the trials of the latest models highlighted in Andy Y's review in the Duchess thread.  I know I have had excellent reliability from Duchess and Princess and most other Hornby models from the Sanda Kan pre-2012 era, but one or two have had wobbly wheels and connecting rods fouling the front driver coupling rod pin. Others have been a bit noisy or 'growly'.

We don't know how prevalent the quality control issues are with current production, I suspect they aren't too different from earlier days, and cannot prove it either way, retailers might have a better grasp of things.

I too recently bought a s/h R2312 Duchess of Chester on Ebay, partly because I didn't have one and partly because I liked the paintwork, and it is silky smooth and I think probably not run a great deal before if at all, I paid from memory about £80.  I don't have a layout any more, just a straight track diorama so all I can do is test basic running quality.

Here it is after my photo editing to bring it a bit closer to the current Duchess standard, not that it needs much.  Will remove photo if requested.

post-7929-0-88939700-1512840901_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

John.

This problem has been with us for the last fifteen years at least.Before I place any Hornby model on my track I first minutely examine the gear for any sign of abnormality or distortion.If all is seemingly clear,I give it a couple of circuits in each direction,then remove and check again,paying particular attention to any retaining nut or screw which might need tightening.My latest experience with a Q1 taught me this when it threw a screw into the four foot and stopped dead.Miraculously,I recovered the screw and replaced it.Before that a Q6 seiezed up completely to such an extent that Alex (Lochnagar) had to sort it for me.There have been other examples over the years,I'm afraid.

Thanks to both Rob and Ian for your responses. 

Another great photo Rob, and it now looks like the latest offering.

Ian, your advice is very sound, a while ago I had similar problems with some air smoothed West Countrys. Discussion on here showed the fouling of rods on crankpins to be a very common problem. I'm bound to say this QC is a bit poor, folk like us maybe able to effect repairs but one suspects that many will not, with the attendant hassle of returns, or else they try another hobby!

John.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As mentioned in the 'best ever' thread I have recently had a burst of enthusiasm for the 2004-2018 Duchesses and to my surprise  R2444 46238 and one of the later fixed rear truck models R2930 46243  are RARE.  Both are pristine late crest BR red versions.

Still, one cannot have everything in life...   (sob)   Hattons pic

46238_R2444_1a_r796.jpg.6cd8f4868742012773539d23f41e1337.jpg

I Do own a 46248....  well, I photographed one...  what a lovely engine!

46248_Duchess_City_of_Leeds_portrait1_4ab_r1200.jpg.c71b6c80a2014ee84e44e87ce439f6f3.jpg

and I DID score a 46236   last of the 'old tooling' models also rather rare, and costly...

46236_Duchess_Bradford_R3241_portrait3_1abcdefg_r1200.jpg.087702189646a2b7749aa161db572f29.jpg

pictures edited, will remove if asked.  I edited-on current version drivers....    shameless!

As you may reasonably deduce, I do like collecting RTR models and photographing them, my skills in opening boxes are legendary!

Shortly I shall be opening my THIRD blue Coronation 6221 'Queen Elizabeth', having returned two with missing front handrails last year, I intend to open this box with such care, all photographed, that no handrail shall escape!

Here is one purchased by a brother who had to re-glue a handrail, no easy task,  again slightly edited by me, I think a beautiful model.

6221_Coronation_portrait1_6abcd_r1500.jpg.1102a81abcddb81972721dda7a546859.jpg

The better wheels on these current models, plus some smaller details, really do look nice.

cheers

Edited by robmcg
typos and additions.
  • Like 3

My Coronation arrives and is described in the other thread, accidentally, sorry,

here is the evidence...   both front top handrails detached, one missing

Img_3523ab_r1500.jpg.78ac95070e648e7bbbfdfdf03a1e02c1.jpg

I or my brother are going to make our own from wire, he will fit them, I am too clumsy.

That's 4 from 4 purchased with missing or detached top front handrails.

Packaging and opening was exemplary in all cases.