Scottish steam for 2018

shunny

A few more NBR J36's including another of the Kipps cut down chimney 65285.  65217 French and its sign written name plate and its tender cab.  And also 65211 at Parkhead MPD in Gloasgow with a Blue Train in the background.

post-1767-0-37150600-1512402182_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-01762700-1512402193_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-92712300-1512402202_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-70569200-1512402394_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will anyone dare to do the ultimate J36 variation!  Kipps duo 65285 or 65287 with their cut down chimney, dome and cab for working the Gartverrie Branch

JIm

Well, that may be your bag, as we say, but it looks horrible! Only in my opinion, of course - beauty is apparently in the eye of the beholder!

John S

I would love Hornby to make a J36. I believe the last active BR steam loco in Scotland was a J36 - a handsome, useful and tough class of engine.

Well, I hope it is a J36 (which is odd, since I lean towards the Caledonian).  This would let me replicate a scene from my youth……

Early one Monday morning in 1967 (ish) I was on the platform at Kirkcaldy waiting  for a train to Edinburgh when a filthy J36 came slowly through with a line of empty minerals, probably for Seafield colliery.  Nothing unusual in that, but then I noticed that all of the waiting passengers were giving the loco crew loud cheers and applause as it clattered past them.  What on earth was going on here?

To explain, you have to know that in those days everybody in Scotland was glued to their TV screens of a Sunday evening to watch Dr Finlay’s Casebook.  It was compulsory; there was no escape; resistance was futile.  Well, the previous night’s episode of Dr Finlay had included a sequence of a train pulling into Tannochbrae station hauled by, yes, a J36.

When the engine reached my end of the platform I could see that the grime had been wiped off the middle splasher and this battered survivor was proudly carrying the name TANNOCHBRAE written in chalk.  The crew were grinning like Cheshire cats: I joined in the applause; they deserved it.

The engine must have been 65288 or 65345 since they were the only two BR steam engines left in Scotland.   So when the inevitable discussion starts on which J36s should be modelled and what names should be carried – I know what I want!

Johnsy

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Well, I hope it is a J36 (which is odd, since I lean towards the Caledonian).  This would let me replicate a scene from my youth……

Early one Monday morning in 1967 (ish) I was on the platform at Kirkcaldy waiting  for a train to Edinburgh when a filthy J36 came slowly through with a line of empty minerals, probably for Seafield colliery.  Nothing unusual in that, but then I noticed that all of the waiting passengers were giving the loco crew loud cheers and applause as it clattered past them.  What on earth was going on here?

To explain, you have to know that in those days everybody in Scotland was glued to their TV screens of a Sunday evening to watch Dr Finlay’s Casebook.  It was compulsory; there was no escape; resistance was futile.  Well, the previous night’s episode of Dr Finlay had included a sequence of a train pulling into Tannochbrae station hauled by, yes, a J36.

When the engine reached my end of the platform I could see that the grime had been wiped off the middle splasher and this battered survivor was proudly carrying the name TANNOCHBRAE written in chalk.  The crew were grinning like Cheshire cats: I joined in the applause; they deserved it.

The engine must have been 65288 or 65345 since they were the only two BR steam engines left in Scotland.   So when the inevitable discussion starts on which J36s should be modelled and what names should be carried – I know what I want!

Johnsy

I wonder if this episode still exists, or was wiped like so much other TV from the time?

Dava

I echo a previous poster in requesting a Caley 4-4-0 but whatever the forthcoming Scottish offering might be please choose a prototype that ran through until near the end of steam.

This would make much more marketing sense as it would suit modellers of all eras rather than limit it to a restricted period.

Caley Coaches are apparently to produce a 'Bogie' but of a class that was extinct by 1950!..why?

Is it not obvious that it would appeal to many more if they chose one of the very similar and beautiful 4-4-0s that graced the rails not just from the 'first'  blue era but right up until the 60s.

Dave.

Maybe that's what the kit manufacturer (Jim?) wants for his own needs?

Jason

• Like 1