Scottish steam for 2018

shunny

Hi

I hope for a D34 Glen having seen Glen Douglas in Dawsholm shed and Glen Loy on Eastfield shed during a London Railfans Club trip to Glasgow at Easter 1961. I can also recall the writings of Toram Beg and the Railway Roundabout film " Two Glens to Fort William". The only problem would be how to justify one on the GE section in BR days.

Roger

Hi

I hope for a D34 Glen having seen Glen Douglas in Dawsholm shed and Glen Loy on Eastfield shed during a London Railfans Club trip to Glasgow at Easter 1961. I can also recall the writings of Toram Beg and the Railway Roundabout film " Two Glens to Fort William". The only problem would be how to justify one on the GE section in BR days.

Roger

You would have trouble justifying any Scottish loco on the GE!

D

Just a thought but maybe they have found the missing components to put the excellent Clan back into the catalogue.

That would certainly make sense from a commercial point of view as they are superb models..perhaps the best ever by Hornby..and would be popular.

And yes I know only half of them were Scottish but Kingmoor was really a Sc Region shed and off course was 68A until the LM claimed it! 

Dave.

If these rumours are true, 2018 will be a bumper year for Scottish steam given the imminent Hattons Barclays.

My fingers are crossed for a J36.  With the 0-6-0 being a bread-and-butter type and neither J39s or 4Fs having been terribly common north of the border, a RTR J36 would be manna from heaven.  I think it would probably be a better choice commercially than a Jumbo or 812 because they could keep churning out models of different named examples to tempt us into buying yet another.  Also, apart from being just about the only (?) significant named 0-6-0s they also carried an unusually diverse range of liveries including both LNER and BR apple green, and 'Maude' did a bit of railtour running to tempt diesel era modellers.

Now, if Hornby could only see themselves to retooling the Shire it might ease our wait for a Glen...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully whatever it may be, it will be better than any of Hornby's previous Scottish offerings from past decades:

Caley Single and 'MacMk1' coaches

J83

Caley Pug

Class 29 [best of the above]

Dava

I'm going for a Caley 812 after the Paul Isles picture and I would be very surprised if it wasn't this one.  I reckon a few other scottish models will follow too over the next few years, as Hornby tend to produce a few area related models in quick succession.  For example, the B12, D16 and J15

Edited by GWR8700

I recall such debates about ScR releases on the old forum almost ten years ago, and we are no further forward  now, although it does seem that the dam might be about to burst. Lets hope so.... For what its worth, last time I asked a member of the Strathspey board about any manufacturers interest in 812, some eighteen months ago, I was told that it hadn't been scanned by any of them. There were also rumours around that 439 was the subject of interest by the other big one but nothing seems to have come of that to date.

It will be interesting to see if anything does change next year.......

• RMweb Gold

How about an Eastfield shedded K1.... that would fit the description, and be a lot easier for Hornby to deliver.

#putsontinhatandrunsforcover

Yeah, a few years go there were rumours of Hornby doing a Scottish loco - cue frothfest. Turned out to be a Perth-based Black 5. 

I'm going for a Caley 812 after the Paul Isles picture and I would be very surprised if it wasn't this one.  I reckon a few other scottish models will follow too over the next few years, as Hornby tend to produce a few area related models in quick succession.  For example, the B12, D16 and J15

The picture did appear to be Maude, ie: a J36, rather than an 812 and while a J36 came behind the Caley 439 and 812 in the poll I ran here [was it 10 years ago] I'd agree as to the likelihood of the J36 being followed by other two, or even something else, simply because one loco does not a trainset make. A lone example may be bought because its a curiosity, a couple of locos and some rolling stock will encourage far more sales.

The picture did appear to be Maude, ie: a J36, rather than an 812 and while a J36 came behind the Caley 439 and 812 in the poll I ran here [was it 10 years ago] I'd agree as to the likelihood of the J36 being followed by other two, or even something else, simply because one loco does not a trainset make. A lone example may be bought because its a curiosity, a couple of locos and some rolling stock will encourage far more sales.

My mistake, was it the J36's tender that was featured in the Collector's Club recently?

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, a few years go there were rumours of Hornby doing a Scottish loco - cue frothfest. Turned out to be a Perth-based Black 5.

Probably even more years ago, Hornby had planned a J36 and made a mock up, photos of which have appeared in BRM in the past. Offhand I forget which year it was originally intended to be released, but didn't they decide to release the APT instead? Again from recollection, the mock up came into Pat Hammond's ownership, which is how photos of it have appeared in the model press.

John Storey

Probably even more years ago, Hornby had planned a J36 and made a mock up, photos of which have appeared in BRM in the past. Offhand I forget which year it was originally intended to be released, but didn't they decide to release the APT instead? Again from recollection, the mock up came into Pat Hammond's ownership, which is how photos of it have appeared in the model press.

John Storey

A photo of said mockup (amongst others) can be seen here, middle left: http://traincollectors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Pat-LNER-AGM-2016-3.jpg

It looks like they've tried to use as many parts as possible from the J83 model, including the chassis. If that thing had borne any resemblance to the finished product then we'd have been better off sticking with the venerable GEM model, of which I have two: one in final BR condition and the other in original (pre rebuild) NB condition.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, Bon Accord, for the link to the photo - excellent.

I've found the article I was recollecting at 41 above - in Model Rail (not BRM) in the September 2007 issue. It had photos of samples Hornby put together for the LNER N7 0-6-2T, V1 2-6-2T, J36 0-6-0 and V1 2-6-2. The comment on the J36 was that Hornby realised in 1974 that it had no 0-6-0 tender locomotive currently in its range, and that in May 1978 the J36 was one of 5 locomotives approved for introduction in 1980. It was officially deleted, however, in December 1978 to make room for the APT.

The article and photos were by Pat Hammond, so thanks to him for the source of this information.

Pat also referenced proposals by Airfix to introduce the B1(in 1982) and J69 (in 1984), and by Palitoy to make the J94 (in 1986) and Peppercorn A1 (in 1985).

Since then we've had most of these - to rather higher standards, I suspect - except the N7 due shortly from Oxford Rail, if this thread is correct the J36 might be announced soon by Hornby ...... but where is the J67/69! That is a 'missing', and much loved, model that must surely be coming some time soon?

John Storey

I did hear that the Caley 812 was scanned a few years ago but nothing heard since, I have to say though the photos do look like a NB tender so a J36 it is me thinks.

Dave Franks

Me? these days I prefer a Midland 3F.

Ducks for cover....

In the latest NBR Study Group magazine, they have an article on the J36 (which is actually about them working on the GNSR!) in which they state; "In view of the rumours that a major manufacturer is about to announce a model ...."

Someone is putting 2 and 2 together.

John

...It'll be very interesting if some NBR carriages were also released to add variety, there are a few survivors in varying states of repair to measure up at Bo'ness and one carriage on the Strathspey. 

That's a little much to hope for, considering that Gresley pacifics have been in the range over a half century, and not a shred of RTR GNR design rolling stock ever produced!

Let's hope for one of the successful and long lived CR or NBR loco designs to get this neglected area some representation, and then hope for developments. It has always seemed odd to me that given the way that the BRCW BoBo types triggered much modelling of the Scottish scene, that the thought of a steam equivalent effect didn't occur to a RTR manufacturer. All the attractions of Scotland still present, and arguably more so, given the characteristic neatness of the indigenous steam design tradition.

If it is a J36, I'll surely sneak one down South...