Class 124 DMU

• RMweb Gold

My intention is to create a “representation” of a Class 124 DMU using the Trix model as the basis and odds and ends that I have to hand. I use the word “representation” knowing the the Trix model scales at 3.8mm to the foot rather than 4mm and the intermediate coaches are Mk1s rather than the correct DMU coaches. Hopefully this will result in an rtr Class 124 appearing soon...

I have shoehorned a Bachmann DMU motor into the MK1 brake coach, replaced the bogies with spare Bachmann DMU bogies and painted the interiors. The underfloor equipment has been replaced with details salvaged from spare Bachmann DMU chasses.

I replaced the driving coach buffers and added couplings and hoses from the spares box and bits of wire and plasticard.

Two coaches completed, four more to go...

post-29162-0-98823400-1512313232_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-12422000-1512313279_thumb.jpeg

post-29162-0-62675700-1512313332_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 years later...
On 03/12/2017 at 15:02, Darius43 said:

My intention is to create a “representation” of a Class 124 DMU using the Trix model as the basis and odds and ends that I have to hand. I use the word “representation” knowing the the Trix model scales at 3.8mm to the foot rather than 4mm and the intermediate coaches are Mk1s rather than the correct DMU coaches. Hopefully this will result in an rtr Class 124 appearing soon...

... I'm still waiting for someone to do that ! 

Always liked the Trans Pennine sets in the original green.   With those curved windows like some of the early 25kV stock.

The Trix 124 is somewaht hybrid in scale. The bogies themselves are the correct for 4mm scale 34mm wheelbase for a start and the cab width is more 4mm than 3.8mm, though it could do with a little extra depth at the bottom.

The cab design is a very close relative of the Glasow Blue Trains cab.