WAG. A new home..

two tone green

• RMweb Gold

I'm in and out of Wales quite a bit over the next couple of weeks so I'll just wait to see what date is agreed on (I couldn't, personally, make next tuesday, but it gets daft trying to accommodate everyone so I'll just go with the flow).

I'm still in.!

Date wise as before pretty much anytime before the 11th. To get the ball rolling I'll suggest a week today, so the 8th?

Pix

Hi Pix - + other fellow WAGGERS!

Appologies for the delay in replying....it's just sooooo busy with all those wild parties at the mo! (Not really!)

The 8th is fine by me! Anyone else OK for this date?

Where's a good place Pix? I'm sure you're more in the know than me, as to good pubs in central cdf!

Cheers

Maaaaarrrrc :D

I dont think meeting in pubs is going to work? Take me or anyone else west of Cardiff. We probably have to drive so no drinking, so no real point in going to a pubblink.gif ?

If the idea is to get Wag as a group off the ground and thus move on to putting on a show perhaps then i think somewhere quieter would be a better choice. I am presuming a city centre pub is liley to be livley?

Anyway, i still have plans to put a show on in Neath at some point (was looking at March /April) proably a saturday show and will advise about needs etc when i have some more time over xmas once my work is finished.

Do we actually know where we all are?

Using say a 15 mile radius, name the nearest city /town your in? Give others anidea of how spread out we are and in what numbers?

Me = Neath

Simon

In relation to this Tuesday evening 'meet' it was arranged at short notice over the last weekend, and as a result the invitation was initially extended to those in the 'greater' Cardiff area.

Communication 'off board' refers to this being a get together with a view to swapping ideas and planning something more relevant, and more inclusive of other 'WAGGERS', in the New Year.

Brian R

Wales being a rather large land mass with a central area almost empty of anything will always present a problem for some one trying to organise a physical real world event that will satisfies all those who are members of this on line club.

Once its broken down into north and south it becomes a bit more manageable but it still does not satisfy Wales as a whole.

So as this is at the moment a south event, then as Piemanlarger suggest, Neath is not far off being mid point between far west and far east and easy enough for any one to get to. By car or public transport.

Perhaps then we should try to support his efforts to organise a get together in the Neath area and escape the clutches of the capital and give the outside world a go.

Of course the north and other points of the compass that takes in Wales would be welcome.

I agree with Two Tone, a central South Wales venue would be good for a lot of people I am sure.

I know I could probably fill a car with people willing to travel up to 90 mins or so each way. But a two hour plus journey would perhaps be a bit much for some.

My location is about halfway between Haverfordwest and Fishguard, about 90 mins travel time to Neath on an average day.

I think it would be nice if Wag could stage a show once a year perhaps? I would suggest however that depending on suitable locations and willing local organisers, the venue changes each year to follow a Central, East and then West location. From memory of the variuos club shows and other exhibitions it seems March /April is the time of year there seems to be a gap in the S.Wales dates.

I am at this time drawing a line from Aberystwyth across to Hereford or there abouts as for me, travelling to North Wales takes too long. easier to have a show in the cotswolds!

I am also presuming if members actually fill in their locations we will see most active members are in S. ish Wales.

Hello all,

I've been following this discussion for a while, but think it's probably time now to "break cover" and join in! I'm based in South Wales, and model industrial railways in 4mm/EM (pretty much exclusively steel-industry based, although I've recently had my head turned by working on an NCB loco).

I'm nearest to Neath as well, but work in Cardiff, so anywhere along the M4 corridor in South Wales I'd consider fair game. I do like the idea of a get together or show, but perhaps with more of a "members day" feel to it. The EM gauge society stage such a thing - they call it Members Day (strangely enough) and the idea is that there's usually a few traders and a layout or two and/or test track. Most importantly, they have lots of space for people to show their latest models, discuss ideas etc. At the last one I went to, people brought models - some worked on them, some just chatted and showed off their work. Most importantly, there was a lot of people gaining new skills and ideas. Perhaps this would be easier in terms of suitable venues, amount of organisation involved etc (I'm not sure but does a full "public" show not involve lots of 'orrible things like public liability insurance etc etc?).

That said, whatever gets organised I'd be well up for attending (and helping out if needs be).

Regards

Alastair

Yes, members efforts should be out for others to look at and learn from. We are all at different stages in this hobby and every one has some thing to offer with regards ideas, knowledge, suggestions etc.

I am willing to bring along my RR&Co test track and give demo, talk about my efforts with the software. Its only two metres long by four hundred millimetres wide so not exactly massive.

".... (I'm not sure but does a full "public" show not involve lots of 'orrible things like public liability insurance etc etc?)........ "

Yes, this is correct; for example, as most are aware, the Cardiff Model Railway Show which has been held at the UWIC Colchester Ave. campus for several years will move to the UWIC Western Ave. campus next year.

I am informed that it falls on the same dates as a Cardiff Model Engineering open weekend at Heath Park, albeit the Heath Park chaps will have a presence at Western Avenue, their live steam rides will not be there, and consequently the insurance premium for next year's show has allegedly dropped noticeably.

My 'contact' went to great lengths to point out that he believed the fares collected for the rides were used to cover the cost of operating the live steam, but the additional insurance was covered by the organisation of clubs that put on the show (??).

Last night a few of us met over a pint or two and tentatively discussed the possibility of a WAG 'get together' sometime in the New Year.

Amongst the posers are (i) where to hold the meet as most venues will expect payment eg a church hall near me charges ??11.50 per hour (ii) if we charge entry are we not then subject to some public liability or insurance cover ? (iii) if we don't charge, how do we cover the costs of hiring the hall ? (iv) after all we could ask for donations on the day, or does the organiser seek pledges before hand ?

What to put on isn't such a problem, a few WAGGERS have small mini layouts, covering a myriad of subjects, countries and eras, and amongst us we probably have contact with a few more modellers with small layouts.

Off the top of my head I could name about a dozen who'd probably attend, some of whom would most likely give a demo of some sort.

Perhaps we could tentatively arrange a meet at the forthcoming Rhondda Show where this subject could be discussed and developed ?

I leave it open for comment, views and opinions and for those likely to be at the Rhondda Show to add their names so that 'we' can get an idea as to what sort of a quorum we can achieve.

As for occasional meets, there is no hard and fast rule as to where we would / should meet. Last night three of us got together in Cardiff, because we all live there. There's nothing to say that we couldn't all meet up on say a Saturday afternoon, in a pub or similar in different locations (perhaps west of Cardiff, such as say Neath) and say every six weeks or so ?

Brian R

Lets keep this going for a while and see what happens.

Yes if it does divide into an east west split then fine as the east crew will be able to go off and do as they please but as the south Wales area is long and thin it is best we do try to work together to put on a good show for all our members from across the whole of the south, east to west.

The SWAG manage it with a large area to cope with and have put on some very good events. Shame if we in civilisation cannot do the same.

Personally I would much rather us all work together and organise/support a show for all of South Wales, but it makes sense to me to have it in a more central position. As my friends in Cardiff know I will happily travel up there to support a show if I can, but not everyone I could bring with me is really up to long journeys.

There are quite a few modellers down this way and I am sure with enough publicity and cajoling quite a few could be persuaded to attend a do, even if they are not yet WAG members.

if time allows this week, i will chase up further the details of the show i plan for Neath.

Its a town hall so has disabled access and thus meets all of todays other needs.

The venue has a kitchen i believe so refreshments on site should be ok. If not, as its in town there are various pubs surving food, chip shops, pastie /cake shops etc all within a 5 minute walk.

There is no or little free parking in town, but there is a large supermarket car park which is ??1 for 90 mins. As the show is not planned to be a big one, i think 90 minutes parking will be enough for travelling visitors.

Exhibitors will be at the event early saturfday (not planning on friday set up this year) they should be able to fill the free car parking spaces. Will look into

that further.

Floor space i would estimate at 80 x 30 feet. Again, will check out and report later.

Insurance etc will also be sorted.

I think being in town and based on a saturday there should be a chance of breaking even with luck, though i have to say this show will not be for making money. As such, only planning on one trader of new items and a second hand stall. Not planning on any more traders or societies, demonstrators (other than perhaps a dcc demonstrator) unless floor space is much more than expected.

Hopeflly a venue in the east and west can be found too?

Archived