Hornby Hymek R074/R768

bob hughes60

• RMweb Gold

I have been resurrecting one of these with a green body.
Unfortunately one of the moulded horns at one cab end has been broken off.
Does anybody know if suitable diesel horns are availble as replacements plastic/castings.
TIA
Bob Hughes

See if Howes sell the detailing parts from the Heljan model is probably the easiest and cheapest option

• RMweb Gold

In the circumstances, I'd have a go at making one up from Milliput or something, perhaps using the horn at the other end as a mould former.

I had one of these back in the day, worked up a bit with a new green livery and moulded silver painted numbers (can't remember now where they came from, they were plastic and I painted them) and an attempt at detail in one of the cabs.  It had separate horns, turned brass I think, but I can't remember now where I got those from either; it was nearly 40 years ago!  Nice smooth runner.  But I doubt I'd be happy now with the solid cast bogie, and would be wanting a Heljan!

The old Triang/Hornby Hymek can brush up well with a few details: separate handrails, etched roof grille, and separate brass horns (e.g. Markits). The latter are better than the moulded lumps on earlier models; later production models did have separate plastic horns fitted.

I double-motored mine, with eight wheel drive and eight wheel pickup, it is almost as smooth and powerful as the Heljan models, but somewhat noisier!

On another forum, someone suggested not having the horns at all, as the first three prototypes had the horns mounted below the buffer beam. they were moved after a few years to match the rest of the production run (i.e. the other 98 locomotives).

I had a little more fun with my Triang Hymek and painted it in a fictional, 'might-have-been' maroon livery. The other two in the photo are Heljan versions.

38107012425_942022e873_b.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

The type 3 motored version is one of the best in my opinion. Have had 2 perminantly wired and could haul anything. Large logo blue looked fantastic too. My current departmental one is yellow ! A cheap, do anything model that lasts and is serviceable. Need I say more?