Damwee Yard, 1 foot x 10 inches ( revised from post 60 onwards ) micro layout.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply, I am going to move it ever so slightly towards the point, I'm going to put a yard crane in so there will be two spots for loading / unloading on that siding.

Nothing is stuck down yet apart from the track so I can see how it will look etc.

Thanks to Chris for the cobblestone suggestion, I will look into that.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I have been trying to create a cobblestone effect in the yard but didn't really like the Metcalfe cobblestones, I then tried some stone printed card, what do you think?

Here is a couple of photos:post-9096-0-31222400-1514054911_thumb.jpgpost-9096-0-59249300-1514054926_thumb.jpg

Do you think they look like cobblestones or would I be better off looking for something else?

Sorry about poor quality of photos.

I do have some tarmac sheets I could use, but prefer cobblestones.

I would also like to wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy new year.

Jerry.

Edited due to hitting post by mistake.

Edited by Jerry1975
  • Like 2

Hi Jerry,

I have been trying to create a cobblestone effect in the yard but didn't really like the Metcalfe cobblestones, I then tried some stone printed card, what do you think?

The proportions of the stones aren't really the same as setts or cobbles Jerry, and the courses are differing heights. When I needed a cobbled area for my box file layout I made my own using the circular foam base that supermarket pizza comes on. Using the smooth side I simply lightly scribed the courses and individual cobbles with a sharp pencil, and then painted them with appropriate colours of acrylic paints, followed, when dry, with a wash of grey/black/brown to highlight the joints. Doing it this way you can run the cobbles at different angles and include drainage channels etc. It takes a while, but is very satisfying (and cheap!).

post-24883-0-96560600-1514059441_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-23223800-1514059461_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Booking Hall for your reply,

I must say that does look good once painted up, to be honest it's doing my head in lol trying to find something without spending to much, I looked at wills cobblestones but I'd need a few packs and that would cost a bit.

I will try your method as it looks good and is cheap.

More soon.

Jerry.

Supermarket pizzas here in Germnay do not have styrofoam supports :sad_mini:, just foil and cardboard :nono:  - I am now officially envious.

Re the card: it just might do, but again somehow it does not look right.

What about scribing cobbles in DAS?

What about cobbles with some concrete patches?

Supermarket pizzas here in Germnay do not have styrofoam supports :sad_mini:, just foil and cardboard :nono:  - I am now officially envious.

I would have suggested scribing in DAS.

Thanks Everyone for your replies.

I'm not going to use those stone sheets, I'm having modellers block at the moment, can't seem to decide on anything so I'm going to leave it until boxing day as busy tomorrow.

I'm considering tarmac sheets I have lying about and these don't look to bad.

I will come back to it after Christmas.

Have a good day Everyone tomorrow, I hope Santa brings you all the model railway goodies your after.

Merry Christmas.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone for your replies.

I'm not going to use those stone sheets, I'm having modellers block at the moment, can't seem to decide on anything so I'm going to leave it until boxing day as busy tomorrow.

I'm considering tarmac sheets I have lying about and these don't look to bad.

I will come back to it after Christmas.

Have a good day Everyone tomorrow, I hope Santa brings you all the model railway goodies your after.

Merry Christmas.

Jerry.

There is a guy on Ebay that sells embossed photo realistic brick and stone papers in all popular scales, unfortunately I'm unable to put a link to him, if you google brick paper for models it should bring up lots of suppliers but it needs to be ebay. He is based in Cyprus (or Greece) and his business is mostly dolls house stuff. Its worth seeking him out as his products are awesome, I've used his 7mm brick and its great. You will have to buy 8 or 10 sheets but they are worth it. Postage is included.

This is an engine shed I'm building with his paper.

post-23125-0-16132700-1514299187_thumb.jpg

post-23125-0-58032100-1514299227_thumb.jpg

Cheer's, Pete.

• Like 2

Hi Pete.

Thank you for your reply, I must say that engine shed your building looks very good indeed.

I will have a look at those brick sheets, they do look good.

I did wonder if I used the little circle bits that come out of one of those punch things for paper but used cardboard instead and stuck those down if that would look good once painted etc.

More soon.

Jerry.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Would the shape of the cobbles/setts dictate the geography?  (e.g. I've only ever seen oblong setts in Scotland so I'm assuming that circular ones would be an English usage.)

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Booking Hall,

They look good but I can't print them out as I don't have a pc at the moment, I'm using my smart phone to post on here.

I think I will re-look at the layout tomorrow or Sunday as been busy over Christmas.

More soon,

Jerry.

Really like the look of your pizza packaging cobblestones. Fab modelling, and nice recycling there matey :)
Nice looking engine shed there too toplink - more great modelling

Jerry, sorry to have swayed you away from using the Mecalfe goods shed - but I do think this nice little layout looks even better now
Re the provendor store, I've not built one of these kits myself, but they're a great looking building.
Re the positioning of the building - you don't have to finally fix it into position until later - perhaps when everything else is done....
Sometimes, I like to place a structure on a layout, play about with it in that position, then come back to the layout another day, and try the building in different positions

Often, a building or structure will just look "right" when it's in one particular position, and you'll know it when that happens....
There are all sorts of "composition" rules and ideas out there, but sometimes a structure just "works" in one given place, even despite any "rules"

Looking good Jerry :)

EDIT: It's difficult to tell from that photo Jerry, but the printed card cobbles do look a bit "flat"
Mind you, you can always introduce some relief, by gently scoring some of the gaps / courses... and depressing one or two random stones - to create you own relief....
I was going to suggest using DAS - but this can also be a bit tedious.... Let us know how you get on, and what you decide

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Not done a thing to this as been ill over new year, sleep apnea can be cruel.

Marc:

Thanks for your reply.

I think the provender looks a lot better than the other goods shed.

I have been thinking about the layout and what to do etc.

I will come back to it when I'm feeling better.

I hope you all had a good Christmas and New year.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I'm finally feeling a lot better today so work will start on the layout today, I completely stripped everything off ready to start again, I think my illness completely fogged everything, everything I did didn't seem right, now though I am going to get on and build the layout.

Thanks for all of your replies and encouragement etc.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Thanks Marc and Chris for your replies.

Today I have laid track and built a bridge to hide the entrance to the fiddle yard.

One siding is for coal the other goes to the provender store and there's a short siding to display wagons on I like, it's assumed their is more sidings behind the bridge.

Here is a photo:

post-9096-0-91304000-1515003013_thumb.jpg

I'm going to put a wall on the back of the bridge and start ballasting next.

I think the layout looks better and I quite like the bridge/tunnel which was kit bashed from a Metcalfe kit.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 5

Well, that's unfortunate for modellers, but at least foil and cardboard can be recycled! :no:

The addition of the extra siding is a good idea.
It's one of those factors that does indeed help suggest that there's more railway beyond the bridge...
Gives you another option when operating too...
Maybe use a loco lift, to park stock there, and swap locos... or even just park an empty wagon there...