Damwee Yard, 1 foot x 10 inches ( revised from post 60 onwards ) micro layout.

Hi Jerry,

Don't worry - although there's a few people on here who would dearly like to see you finish this little layout -
We don't expect you to work on it every day, honestly! lol
I mean, these day I get nothing done for weeks or even months at a time ;)

Some times, other things just take priority - so be it, but it's good to know you are so keen to get on with this project

Thanks Marc and Acklam for your replies, yeah, life gets in the way sometimes, I find that doing a bit of modelling when I can helps me to relax, modern life is full of stress and pressures.

I'm going to try and get some Das modelling clay or cobbled sheeting today for the yard areas and make a start on ballasting.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Thanks Marc and Acklam for your replies, yeah, life gets in the way sometimes, I find that doing a bit of modelling when I can helps me to relax, modern life is full of stress and pressures.

I'm going to try and get some Das modelling clay or cobbled sheeting today for the yard areas and make a start on ballasting.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry. I hope that you are ok. I certainly agree with your post above. I certainly feel much calmer during and after a good modelling spell. Unfortunately life has a nasty habit of putting other things in the way. My last modelling session was on Christmas Eve and, despite another week and a half off work I found no time for anything else.

Hope today goes well.

More soon.

Jerry.

Yes indeed Jerry, a bit of modelling can really help - it can be one of the best therapies known... well, to those of us in the know anyway ;)

Though I've not built a layout or micro recently, I built myself a little O gauge shed, from left-overs / scraps...

and I'd forgotten just how relaxing modelling can be. Shame I can't do all my modelling projects in the lounge, in front of the telly

Mrs Smith won't let me! ;)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129786-when-you-havent-got-much-time-space-motivation-all-of-the-previous/

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Thanks Marc and Andyram for your replies.

Well just as I was talking about things getting in the way then something came up, thankfully I have some free time now.

Marc:

I saw your little hut, very nice, you just need somewhere for it now ( a layout perhaps ).

Andyram:

I haven't done much since Christmas either, although I have got a bit of free time so going to do some modelling.

I bought some DAS clay and I'm going to have a go at scribing my own cobbles, any tips for using this stuff would be very appreciated.

More Soon.

Jerry.

Just catching up with your latest project Jerry, hope you are feeling better and glad you are able to make progress once more.

I've not used DAS for modelling cobbles myself, but have been impressed by those who have as they seem to have a more natural flow to match the layout, and gives scopes for potholes and patch repairs; sorry I can't offer any advice, but looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

I also thing the extra dummy siding is a good idea for display too.

Martyn.

I can't offer much in the way of advice Jerry I am afraid. I have only attempted it once, on my Christmas project layout. I would lay the DAS quite thick, flatten and then scribe with a modelling knife. I suggest having a practise first.

Hi Everyone.

I just can't seem to know what to do with this layout, I can't seem to find the enthusiasm for it and I can't put my finger on it.

I have bought a small crate from the £1 shop and have come up with this:

post-9096-0-58292100-1515691391_thumb.jpg

What do you guys think?

I didn't stick any of the buildings down etc, I just wanted to see how it would look, so I can easily put them back on the other version.

Jerry.

Edited to include last paragraph.

Edited by Jerry1975

Jerry - you have my sympathy, modellers block is a terrible thing!

I do love layouts in crates, boxes, boxfiles etc and that little crate looks super. However, what if you used it the right way up (bracing the bottom... oooh er!) and then used the inside walls as, well, walls? I think it was Neil Mason who used the walls of a boxfile for something similar with his Pilot Road layout. You could then use an industrial setting as the basis of the layout?

All that said, I do like the simplicity of what you've done above. It has a feel of the Gn15 'Simplicity Sidings' about it. Lots of fun from two pointless tracks!

Keep up the good work!

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

I just can't seem to know what to do with this layout, I can't seem to find the enthusiasm for it and I can't put my finger on it.

I have bought a small crate from the £1 shop and have come up with this:

attachicon.gifWP_20180111_16_27_47_Pro.jpg

What do you guys think?

I didn't stick any of the buildings down etc, I just wanted to see how it would look, so I can easily put them back on the other version.

Jerry.

Edited to include last paragraph.

Some other ideas. Perhaps slightly angle the track so it is not all so square on. Have one track stop short at a wall or whatever. Perhaps push the building at the back to left so it is on the edge of board to frame the layout as it were. Not saying it will work but some things to try out. Cheers Steve

Jerry, as just said, angling the track could be a good idea but I like the simplicity of what you've got. If you're struggling for ideas what about having a go at something like the cakebox challenge? It's only small and you might get some ideas to go on and develop it further, just a thought.

Steve.

Thanks for your ideas everyone, some food for thought.

SB67:

I have entered the cakebox challenge, see Hardlia Yard.

I really like this much simpler version, I just can't see where to go with the other version so this will be the new version.

Anyone know how to change the layout title?

Jerry.

Edited by Jerry1975
  • Like 1

Just looked a your cakebox challenge, very nice indeed. To change your thread title I think if you click edit on one of your posts and use the full editor you can do it.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

Thanks SB67,

Topic title now changed, I am a lot happier with this design, I have a few more layouts planned using these crates, I better buy some more!

Thanks for everyone's support, comments, kind words etc, sometimes we all need a bit of support and help so thanks again everyone.

More soon and welcome to the Damwee yard the new version.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 4

Hi Jerry,
Sorry I missed the last round of discussions.
I must say, I really liked your earlier version - post #46, I think it was?

Anyhow, that's not as important as whichever version / plan gives you most motivation and enthusiasm..... that's THE important factor

From experience, I'd get the track laying done, then weather the rails (if you're going to) before ballasting and backscene...

...otherwise, you can get over-spray / over-spill from your rail weathering paint, ruining scenery or your backscene if you're not careful
Of course, not everyone weathers their rails....

PS. I still like the name "Damwee Yard" - definitely a good name

EDIT: "support" and encouragement is what RMWeb is all about - it's why I like the forum :)

Edited by marc smith

Hi Marc.

I just didn't have the motivation to carry on with it, I don't know why, after this version I'm taking a break from modelling for a while, to many things getting in the way, illness being a major one, I will build a damwee mk2 at some point so don't despair lol.

I have laid the track, next will be weathering the track and ballasting.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I have been busy today but did manage a couple of hours to lay and paint the track.

Here is a photo of latest progress:

post-9096-0-45063400-1515788655_thumb.jpg

I will try and take a better photo.

Next job is ballasting.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 5

Hi Everyone.

I have used DAS modelling clay this morning for ground cover, it's a first for me and I must say it's difficult to get it smooth but I will try sanding it when it's dry tomorrow, if all else fails I will just start again, its a big of an experiment really.

Hopefully all will go well with it.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I have been busy applying Das clay then sanding it once dry, filling in holes/gaps and sanding again, then I put a base coat of grey on.

Here are some photos:

post-9096-0-30807100-1515956313_thumb.jpg

post-9096-0-63444200-1515956346_thumb.jpg

I will paint it again, a lighter shade tomorrow and then ballast the track.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 4

Weathering powders are a good way to add a bit of variation but I'd always build the effects up slowly adding a small bit at a time. It's a lot easier to add a bit more than to try and take off too much.

Looks good Jerry.

Steve.

Edited by sb67