More Eurotunnel delays

They are in the middle of major expansion work on the queuing lanes and access roads to them, at Cheriton, having vastly improved the check-in approaches now, so perhaps this will not be the problem it has on occasion. On some of our journeys in the past I too have experienced the same problem, although I have missed my planned shuttle time only once. Actually, it has been a lot better this year (despite the ongoing works) as you used to be called forward around 45 mins before the shuttle time, and then sit for ages in your car, until the barrier opens, instead of in a nice warm cafe. Now they call you at about 30 mins, and often we have barely stopped before the barrier opens and we have gone straight on to the shuttle.

It is certainly vastly superior to the madhouse of queuing up to check in at Dover Eastern Docks (and Calais) at peak times, and then sitting in the middle of (what seems like) the world's largest lorry park, wondering when you will get onto a ship. The only reason I would ever use the ferry again is cost, and as the advance booking fares on the Shuttle have become so reasonable now, that does not look likely for some time. I would never use the ferry in winter anyway given the apparently increased frequency and strength of winds in the Channel.

The works on the approach to the Allocation Lanes are to do with having the 'Flexiplus' (formerly 'Club Class') lounge accessible to both ordinary cars, and to higher vehicles; previously, only vehicles below 1.75 metres high could use them.

Mike- do you buy carnets of tickets in advance? This might be worth investigating.

The works on the approach to the Allocation Lanes are to do with having the 'Flexiplus' (formerly 'Club Class') lounge accessible to both ordinary cars, and to higher vehicles; previously, only vehicles below 1.75 metres high could use them.

Mike- do you buy carnets of tickets in advance? This might be worth investigating.

True Brian, which has moved it all from the left of the approach to the right. I was told by one of the staff that this will then allow them several more ordinary lanes on the left hand side compared to what they had before?

Have not bothered with the carnets as the advanced fares seem to be a much better deal at the moment!

Whilever they have the silly "carpark into 4 lanes into two lanes into one lane" system on this side, they will have problems.

Last time i used them, we had to come out of the carpark, drive right up to the furthest end, queueing, then queue right back down to the security/passport area.

despite me watching like a hawk, amd moving out of the carpark when crossing R was called, I still ONLY JUST arrived in time for my crossing, T.

Yet last time I used the ferries, I had a good run from the Dartford Crossing to Dover, and was put on an earlier crossing than the one I'd booked on. And I crossed for £60 against the £122 the tunnel wanted.

All being well, the Mrs will be retired soon and we can go outside peak times. THEN Hull-Zeebrugge looks attractive...

Jeff

I have never had that experience. Have arrived late and had to take the next shuttle and have been dropped to the next shuttle

We buy the carnets even though in the last two years we haven't used them all. We do tend to cross out on a Thursday or Friday and return on a Monday so may miss the worst delays

We also stay at Calais,Bolougne or Le Touquet to break the journey but also so my wife can have a couple of proper hotel nights as compensation for cooking for the rest of the holiday

I think between us we have. Nouvelle Aquitaine branch of RMWeb

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I was travelling back from Germany, where I had been exhibiting 'Freshwater' at the Euskirchen show, on Monday, 11th December. We were booked on the 15:50 Eurotunnel crossing, and departed Germany on a clear, grey day at a time that would have got us to Calais about 14:00 on a normal day. However, once into Belgium, the snow started falling, and we had to crawl past every junction because lorries were stuck in ditches, or in the barriers, unable to negotiate the tight bends and inclines. Then we heard that the Brussels ring road was completely shut, and my Sat-Nav re-routed us via Antwerp. We eventually arrived at Calais around 18:00 and were given a pass for the 20:30 crossing. Lots of people were arriving late because of the weather conditions and it took another hour to reach the terminal, which was heaving by then. The 19:30 crossing was called and presumably departed, but then the departure times started moving, and were overtaken by the actual time, and eventually the boards went blank. The official response was 'technical problems'. WHS Smiths and Burger King closed, and eventually even the Duty Free shop closed. We were given a box of food and a bottle of water though. We were eventually called at 01:00 and departed shortly after. What we had expected to be a 9 hour journey ended up a 19 hour one.

However, this was the first bad experience I have had using Eurotunnel, and mostly it was down to weather conditions, so I will not be complaining. I have plenty of worse experiences using ferries and hovercraft before the tunnel opened.

• RMweb Premium

That rather ignores things like the fire suppression systems, fire doors and support jacks that get deployed at the terminals. If any of these are defective it doesn't matter how 'solid' the wagons may be to drive cars over!

As has been noted given the mileage covered so far and the rather hostile environment of the tunnel itself, its hardly a surprise that more and more car carrying wagons are experiencing faults, they are after all over 25 years old now.

The correct process is to set aside sufficient funds from running the service for 25 years, to be able to replace life expired stock.

What could go wrong?

I think between us we have. Nouvelle Aquitaine branch of RMWeb

Sounds like it. We are in southern 87, close to St Mathieu, 4km south is the Dordogne, less than 16km west is the Charente. I have good friends near Suaux and Montemboeuf.

• Like 1

Sounds like it. We are in southern 87, close to St Mathieu, 4km south is the Dordogne, less than 16km west is the Charente. I have good friends near Suaux and Montemboeuf.

Chirac side of Chabanais for us on the borders of 87 and 16

Ironically we are closer to the Vienne despite being in Charente

In fact my nom de plume on here gives our location :-)

Edited by Foulounoux

Chirac side of Chabanais for us on the borders of 87 and 16

Ironically we are closer to the Vienne despite being in Charente

In fact my nom de plume on here gives our location :-)

You are both well out of the real action, here in 17,  but quite (perhaps a bit too) close to 79 and 16! We are just north of Saintes. Another of our gorgeous membership is about to join us, so the herd is growing.

We have to accept a sub-branch in 72.

But why "Nouvelle" Aquitaine? Why aren't we just Aquitaine? No actual French person can explain this.

Perhaps we need our own thread or section of the website, before this is banned by Mr Davis?

By the way, to keep to the OP's request, Eurotunnel is tops, but with a few little flaws IMHO. When placed next to the flaws of CPAM, Batiments de France or Credit Agricole, they hardly feature.

Oi!

Knowing the young lady who runs the Cafe Columbus in Le Mans I believe the 72's are very well thought of

But then she is French,Female,young,attractive and a very good business woman .. . And yes the wife has met Her

Edited by Foulounoux

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting to see where people are in France - I used to live in 77, "oop North".  It'd be nice to go back - anyone got a room to rent...?!  

Back to the point (-ish) though, I think I've only used the tunnel twice, once on a family holiday as a kid and once by myself, and have to say I find the ferry a much better option.  As JeffP said above, the ferry always comes in much cheaper.  I'm sure if I booked six months in advance it'd be better, but one or two months (or even a few days) and I pay around half for the ferry what I'd pay for the tunnel.  Until they went under (sorry, bad pun!) I used SeaFrance, who were cheaper, these days it is P&O.  Since I'm usually on a long trip, I find after 8 or 9 hours non-stop driving, the time on the ferry is a good way to relax, and to avoid the crowds I usually head to the nicer restaurant and have a nice meal, much better than saving time on the tunnel and then stopping at a service station. 

I've never had a problem with the ferry, apart from some weather-related delays, but generally boarding has been swift and on time.  Incidentally, my record is 1h25 mins from the first booth at Calais port to the roundabout on the A20 at the exit of Dover docks - I arrived just as the ferry before my booked one was closing, it was quiet so I was just told to drive straight on.  It was departing late so I'd have missed it if it'd gone on time, and the captain certainly wasn't hanging around on the way across!

Very interesting to see where people are in France - I used to live in 77, "oop North".  It'd be nice to go back - anyone got a room to rent...?!  

Back to the point (-ish) though, I think I've only used the tunnel twice, once on a family holiday as a kid and once by myself, and have to say I find the ferry a much better option.  As JeffP said above, the ferry always comes in much cheaper.  I'm sure if I booked six months in advance it'd be better, but one or two months (or even a few days) and I pay around half for the ferry what I'd pay for the tunnel.  Until they went under (sorry, bad pun!) I used SeaFrance, who were cheaper, these days it is P&O.  Since I'm usually on a long trip, I find after 8 or 9 hours non-stop driving, the time on the ferry is a good way to relax, and to avoid the crowds I usually head to the nicer restaurant and have a nice meal, much better than saving time on the tunnel and then stopping at a service station. 

I've never had a problem with the ferry, apart from some weather-related delays, but generally boarding has been swift and on time.  Incidentally, my record is 1h25 mins from the first booth at Calais port to the roundabout on the A20 at the exit of Dover docks - I arrived just as the ferry before my booked one was closing, it was quiet so I was just told to drive straight on.  It was departing late so I'd have missed it if it'd gone on time, and the captain certainly wasn't hanging around on the way across!

The relaxation bit is always something to consider. Which is why we use the Shuttle! No getting out of the car, climbing two or three flights of stairs or waiting 10 mins for the lift and sharing it up close with four lazy lorry drivers who want the top deck, no queuing at the bar for overpriced, not particularly good coffee, or standing in a long line at the self-service, to gulp down a meal that would have the chef shot in France,and then the reverse in the stampede to get back to your car. No thanks. I would rather drink a decent takeaway coffee and sandwich or burger in the privacy of my own cockpit and slumber in my reclining driver's seat for the short crossing.

As for the price myth, that may have been true some time ago (and still is for refundable prices), but we went again two weeks ago, at short notice, for a three day trip to see the manager of the out-law's nursing home in Margate (big problems there due to all, and I mean all, their EU nurses leaving this year). I booked perhaps five or six days ahead and got mid-morning crossings both ways for about 70 euros return, non-refundable if you cancel or miss their generous two hour window. I could have saved perhaps 10 euros by using a ferry, and then spent it all and more, on bad coffee and even worse food.

But you are right - you do get to sit down for maybe 40 mins. If I really want to relax and do the crossing really cheaply (in comparison to the tolls and diesel saved), I go Newhaven - Dieppe, but only if there is a reason to go to Sussex for my wife's cousins, or to see my oldest chum en route. Otherwise, it's the long drag up to Calais/Frethun and across to Dover's posher neighbour. I also use French motels if we want an overnight break, at around one third to 50% cheaper than Kent's finest. And that is with the pound in the pits.

I have no connection to Eurotunnel, only as a, relatively, satisfied customer, compared to the forty years of uncertainty, long delays, awful crossings and poor catering I have experienced on various ferries on probably over one hundred journeys. On top of which, I worked for three years for Sealink! The Shuttle does have problems and is not perfect by any means, but I rather feel it is being somewhat overstated on this thread.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, and I wonder if the direction has a bearing on price (Fr-UK-Fr v. UK-Fr-UK).  I have to say I agree about the queuing and the overpriced bar/cafeteria food, the proper restaurant is much better though, a main and a dessert for similar prices to a decent restaurant on land, good quality, and I've never had a problem getting in, even on a busy crossing.  That said, I tend to use early ones (around breakfast time) or very late ones outbound, if the latter I tend to stay at the Premiere Classe in Dunkirk so I can get a good start the morning after.  My journeys tend to be pretty long (eastern Germany or Bavaria to Yorkshire) so the break and time out of the drivers seat is welcome. 

My routine tends to be to have a seat in the bar until we leave port, to watch the goings on outside, then head to the restaurant. By the time I've eaten, we're almost there.  And since I'm alone, its fairly easy to hang back til we dock, head down to the car after the crowds, rather than trying to fight my way down to the car deck with everyone else just to sit in the car for ten minutes...  

I can't ever recall having been in the lift - after hours on the road, the exercise of using the stairs is welcome!

• Like 1

At last a reply from Eurotunnel apologising for the delays, technical problems, capacity problems, etc. i told them i was a train driver, could they provide further explanation and that I know trains break down, but that does not excuse the complete lack of information or personnel to deal with people. they are "reviewing their procedures" and thanked me for my input. i do try to be constructive.

I've probably done 80 return trips in the last 8 years and a few have gone wrong, one memorable occasion I posted on here was being stuck in the tunnel on a train with brake problems. My fastest time was an hour and a bit from the entry point at Calais to getting home at Aldington, about 8 miles from Cheriton! Delays recently have been unacceptable despite the weather etc. It's been plain bad management plus rolling stock problems.

They've agreed a full refund for the weekend. I usually use a "frequent traveller" ticket which costs £42 ech way though there is a supplement to pay on most trips. It's almost as flexible as the £240 a trip option!

If anyone's looking for somewhere to eat on the English side, just off junction 11 of the M20 is the Airport Cafe on the A20, a good old-fashioned truck stop complete with a juke box, open till 2130 Mon-Fri and until 1500 Sat and Sun. A bit further along the A20 towards Ashford is the Blue and White Cafe, open until 1500 daily which is now under new ownership and does excellent food and very filling home-made deserts. Both are worth a visit and they're a lot cheaper than the Stop 24 at J11! There's also a diesel fuel bunker site at Lympne just off J11 if you use fuel cards.

Last month I had a day trip for £10 each way.

Got put on the shuttle before the one I was booked on going out.

Received an email that the return would be an hour later than the booked time.

When I arrived I checked in quite early and was offered my original slot.

Went straight to the lanes and loading was well under way so drove straight on.

I have never experienced more than a half hour delay and I normally use it for two trips a year.

I find it a considerably better option than the ferry.

Better 

• Like 3

I think Eurotunnel suffers from the predictably poor design of the terminal. This makes it's use at peak times not so attractive, and when it's DOUBLE the ferry price, completely un-attractive to anyone coming from north of the Thames, IMHO.

I may give it a try if/next time I go it alone. ie: outside peak times.

Recently I've been going down overnight at Whit, taking my wife who still works as a headteacher. She flies home and I stay until September when we come home together.

However, at 65, driving down through the night is no longer as much "fun" as it used to be.

I think Eurotunnel suffers from the predictably poor design of the terminal. This makes it's use at peak times not so attractive, and when it's DOUBLE the ferry price, completely un-attractive to anyone coming from north of the Thames, IMHO.

I may give it a try if/next time I go it alone. ie: outside peak times.

Recently I've been going down overnight at Whit, taking my wife who still works as a headteacher. She flies home and I stay until September when we come home together.

However, at 65, driving down through the night is no longer as much "fun" as it used to be.

So true - I used to be able to drive continuously for a day and a night, but find it, not just horrible, but increasingly dangerous to myself and my passenger(s). So, whereas I might have assumed an hour's kip on the ferry (if that indeed proved possible) would be enough the boost the little grey cells, it no longer works. So, having to consider a 7 hour drive in France, then where to bed down, before total inability to drive safely, I choose to sleep in France, take a quick shuttle, and then get to where I need to be, whether it be Kent, London or Yorkshire.

The cheapo ferry gamble, howsoever much I enjoyed it in my yoof (i.e. pre 55 years old), and the nostalgia of it, is not a practical proposition now, unless I spend anything I have saved on another night's stay somewhere else. 

That and the ENDLESS sets of lights coming towards you. Even in the wee small hours the roads are crowded.

As a student I used to drive home cross country from Birmingham city centre to Scunthorpe: Sutton Coldfield, Tamworth, Ashby, Loughborough, Newark, Gainsborough.

Setting off after 11pm I rarely saw another car, let alone lorry after lorry after lorry. 1971. Almost 50 years ago........

Jeff...don't put put night driving down to your age .....it's the chronic state of uk road markings which are outright dangerous in comparison to the continent!

I completely beg to differ. Age is a big factor - I now have prescription glasses, very slightly tinted, for night driving, which I recommend. I do not need glasses in daytime, other than for close-up work or reading.

As for road markings....whilst I recognise that many UK roads can be in poor condition and markings well beyond their sell-by, I find it far easier to drive in the UK at night than anywhere rural in France, bar the pay-toll autoroutes (which are about the best maintained roads in Europe, including those of Germany). That is after decades of doing both. Try driving at night on an unfamiliar Route Nationale (RN), or even worse, a Route Departmentale (RD), especially also with any degree of moisture or mist.  There are rarely kerb edgings or even a definitive road edge, and often the only markings are the centre line, and that is often invisible where not maintained. There are no cat's eyes here, and the extent of kerbside or central reservation raised reflectors is very variable, even on autoroutes. Street lighting is an optional extra in most of the country, again even on motorways, and is usually turned off after 10pm even where it does exist. Add that to the French driving style, and night driving is a real lottery and requires a degree of self confidence and fatalism (to ward off regular heart attacks) that I rarely experience in the UK.

The comparison is similar to the oft-made one between those who compare their regular UK train journey on a commuter route, with their once a year pleasure trip on a TGV. The reality of the humdrum is rather different. That said, I would not go back to live in England for all the tea in Tesco's, unless I am absolutely forced to, for lots of other reasons. Having to drive at night here on occasion, is a small price to pay.

• RMweb Premium

Spot on Mike.  Maybe "don't just put night driving down to your age" would be better, but what you say about French roads hits the nail on the head.  Your comparison between humdrum commutes (on road or rail) and a yearly trip through France is spot on.  I've experienced both, and agree fully.  On the whole, I prefer France and Germany to the UK, but it isn't always true that they are better or we are worse.  There are certainly some things that are done well elsewhere, and that are done badly here, of course, but as you say, we rarely have the full experience abroad.  If your daily 0733 commuter train is 4 minutes late, you notice it.  If the 1147 to the Mediterranean beach one day last summer was 5 minutes down, you probably didn't even realise.  or maybe just see it as the quirk of a relaxed way of life.  

Spot on Mike.  Maybe "don't just put night driving down to your age" would be better, but what you say about French roads hits the nail on the head.  Your comparison between humdrum commutes (on road or rail) and a yearly trip through France is spot on.  I've experienced both, and agree fully.  On the whole, I prefer France and Germany to the UK, but it isn't always true that they are better or we are worse.  There are certainly some things that are done well elsewhere, and that are done badly here, of course, but as you say, we rarely have the full experience abroad.  If your daily 0733 commuter train is 4 minutes late, you notice it.  If the 1147 to the Mediterranean beach one day last summer was 5 minutes down, you probably didn't even realise.  or maybe just see it as the quirk of a relaxed way of life.  

Absolutely! Night driving is one thing that is definitely better, overall, in the UK. Perhaps the UK is best seen at night these days? And you are absolutely right - there are good and bad things between all countries. Nation states are after all, just pure inventions by Georgian monarchs and rebels and then Victorian-era politicians, which some people think are the be-all and end-all for the definition of Who We Are and What is Right. It simply ain't true, for they were pure invention to establish who can tax whom, but many clearly believe it is the one thing that makes their own lives have any meaning, as we have just seen in elections domestic and foreign. 

So back to Eurotunnel, and how crap they are, or otherwise. 

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely! Night driving is one thing that is definitely better, overall, in the UK. Perhaps the UK is best seen at night these days? And you are absolutely right - there are good and bad things between all countries. Nation states are after all, just pure inventions by Georgian monarchs and rebels and then Victorian-era politicians, which some people think are the be-all and end-all for the definition of Who We Are and What is Right. It simply ain't true, for they were pure invention to establish who can tax whom, but many clearly believe it is the one thing that makes their own lives have any meaning, as we have just seen in elections domestic and foreign. 

So back to Eurotunnel, and how crap they are, or otherwise. 

Yes, we'd better.

Because otherwise steam might start coming from my ears and I might start muttering things about how angry I get at hearing about "foreigners" working "here" - as an Englishman working in Scotland, who has worked in France and studied in Germany, with many foreign friends here and in Foreign, and who has grown up being able to travel freely in Europe and have such opportunities, such things really wind me up, just because someone drew a line on a map somewhere... 

So, any delays on the Tunnel tonight...? 

Yes, we'd better.

Because otherwise steam might start coming from my ears and I might start muttering things about how angry I get at hearing about "foreigners" working "here" - as an Englishman working in Scotland, who has worked in France and studied in Germany, with many foreign friends here and in Foreign, and who has grown up being able to travel freely in Europe and have such opportunities, such things really wind me up, just because someone drew a line on a map somewhere... 

So, any delays on the Tunnel tonight...? 

Outstanding,  but obviously not allowed.