Shouldered axles in P4

It's possible that the new owners of C&L Finescale may be planning to reintroduce the Exactoscale range. Maybe an email wouldn't go amiss.

Rex,

I think that'll be a long way down the road. The carriage and wagon wheels are more of a possibility, but the loco wheels may not happen. I believe that the ownership of the dies, etc. remains with the person that originally commissioned them.

David,

2.0mm steel rod and 2.0mm ID/3.0 mm OD tube is available on eBay. Why not make up what you need from that?

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking for a supplier of 3mm to 2mm shouldered axles in P4. I know the EMGS does them in EM but is there a supplier in P4?

Regards

The EMGS ones are suitable for both EM and P4 (don't forget that the EMGS also caters for 18.83 ;)   ) - the 2mm section is long enough to 'make' 18.83 and use a suitable washer inboard of each wheel to reduce the risk of the wheel moving inwards once he b2b is set.

Rex,

I think that'll be a long way down the road. The carriage and wagon wheels are more of a possibility, but the loco wheels may not happen. I believe that the ownership of the dies, etc. remains with the person that originally commissioned them.

David,

2.0mm steel rod and 2.0mm ID/3.0 mm OD tube is available on eBay. Why not make up what you need from that?

Jol

Could be. Shame that as they're nice wheels.

Rex,

David,

Jol

Tried that, Jol

post-5728-0-79258600-1513189241_thumb.jpegpost-5728-0-87908000-1513189359_thumb.jpeg

There was a serious concentricity issue. !

What I'm trying to do here is to convert a Hornby MSC Sentinel to P4. I've already done one using Ultrascale wheels and it was successful. Regrettably getting more of the same from Ultrascale is like waiting for Godot but a lot less fun; I'm on the list  but there doesn't seem to be any progress. I thought I'd have a go using standard AGW wheels (they're actually WD tender wheels) and move the side frames out. The issue is that the axle bearings are 3mm dia but the wheel i/d is 2mm making concentricity absolutely paramount. The method I adopted of using telescopic brass tube is worse than useless.

As it seems that that EMGS offering is intended for P4 as well as EM I’ll order two tomorrow

I've sent two emails to the EMGS and not a had a reply as yet

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• 1 month later...

The EMGS shouldered axles arrived last week and I assembled a wheelset a few moments ago to P4 b/b. As can be seen form the photo below they are just fine as they are. No adjustments or compromise necessary for P4.

post-5728-0-57613300-1516101707_thumb.jpeg

I think that counts as a success!

The RMweb software doesn’t seem to like photos taken in portrait format so another photo in landscape

post-5728-0-89924500-1516101951_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 1